Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You know you're in a flat state when they erect a shrine to a "mountain".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,590 times
Default Orange county

I have tried to like the OC. With the inherent beauty here what's there not to like? Well turns out plenty.

The people are smog and self-centered. They seem to live in a bubble and Laguna Beach people like to say they are living in paradise. Hey people this is not Hawaii for pete's sake. I live in Laguna Beach and have never been more bored in my life. The people are phoney and vacant. We've got homeless people in paradise so I guess it's not great for everyone. There is no diversity and people really think they are better than other people. The racisim is really disgusting here. They ran out the gay folks and there is a mini bible belt here. The most hypercritical people you will ever meet. They will pray and in the next breath be really ugly.

I am living this place and not looking back. Am I stereotyping. You betcha. There is no intelligent life here and there are many village idiots with fake tans, fake hair, and fake everthing. It's no paradise I tell ya. Oh, what is really sad is meeting people who don't have money yet will name drop designer names as if it makes them fit it or something.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbagirl View Post
We've got homeless people in paradise so I guess it's not great for everyone.
Homeless in Laguna Beach. Life could be worse, such as... homeless in Fontana. The So Cal homeless insist on a coastal setting. They're so shallow and fake.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 PM

42 posts, read 69,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbagirl View Post
I have tried to like the OC. With the inherent beauty here what's there not to like? Well turns out plenty.

The people are smog and self-centered. They seem to live in a bubble and Laguna Beach people like to say they are living in paradise. Hey people this is not Hawaii for pete's sake. I live in Laguna Beach and have never been more bored in my life. The people are phoney and vacant. We've got homeless people in paradise so I guess it's not great for everyone. There is no diversity and people really think they are better than other people. The racisim is really disgusting here. They ran out the gay folks and there is a mini bible belt here. The most hypercritical people you will ever meet. They will pray and in the next breath be really ugly.

I am living this place and not looking back. Am I stereotyping. You betcha. There is no intelligent life here and there are many village idiots with fake tans, fake hair, and fake everthing. It's no paradise I tell ya. Oh, what is really sad is meeting people who don't have money yet will name drop designer names as if it makes them fit it or something.
OC is really 3 OCs.

There is "the OC" that you see on TV. That's the south OC Laguna Beach types. Real Housewives, Real OC, The Hills, etc. For some, that is paradise. They do seem to have a fake Bible Belt thing going on.

Then there is upper class white and Asian OC. Irvine, Newport, Anaheim, Huntington, etc. Pretty much suburbia.

Then there is the OC people don't read about. The Santa Ana, Fullerton, Buena Park, La Habra OC. They keep it real in those parts.

Try exploring other areas, you might be happier with what you find.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,981 times
This crap about "Orange County people are fake" comes from people who don't want to think for themselves or admit that they moved into a place that doesn't suit their personal outlook and so they repeat the old assertions heard about California in general for the last 50 years. Talk about your vacant stereotypes. If you don't like a place because your personality just isn't congruent with it than say that rather than making lame excuses. I don't like where I'm living, either, but the problem is my sensibility and not the folks who inhabit the area. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, while there is no such thing as "paradise on earth," Laguna Beach, once you get past the horrendous summer traffic and the massive mudslides in Bluebird Canyon every so many years, is a damned beautiful place. Yeah, there isn't the same amount of stuff to do in LB as there is in L.A., but it also doesn't have L.A.'s crime, racial problems, horrible schools and smog. Yeah, it does skew old, with more than half over 40.

As for the lack of diversity in Orange County, . Yeah, LB is almost all white plus some Asians, but countywide, whites are only 51% of the population now. Hispanics are nearly 31% and then you have Japanese, Chinese, Persians, Vietnamese, Koreans, and Indians as the largest representatives of the rest of the minority community.

As for intellectually vacant, 56% in LB are college grads and around 40% of that number are postgrads. Countywide, the number for people with college degrees is 35%. The national number is 28%. http://www.city-data.com/county/Orange_County-CA.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna...alifornia.html
Adults With College Degrees in the United States, by County - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Old 03-27-2011, 08:07 PM

420 posts, read 877,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNSF99 View Post
This is what a couple from Kansas told me today. After 2 months in Orange County, they want out. Funny thing is the part they dislike most are the fake, rude, & inconsiderate people. Not the high cost of living or the lack of jobs.
Really? Was that all??
Gee... Some people must live really sheltered lives!
Is that not like most of Southern California? I know it is in L.A.
But i guess it doesnt bother me because growing up there, I never
became a "hello, howya doin" to strangers, kinda fella anyway.
Oh I think it's wonderful when people smile and greet one another
in public. But I never got used to expecting it. That might be sad.
But it is what it is in many urban areas.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 PM

396 posts, read 925,380 times
I know this thread is a year or so old but... I get sick of the "everyone is rude and fake in SD/OC/LA" rant.

As a midwesterner, I think its quite the opposite. Everytime I go there, everyone is pretty much friendly based on my experiences in Santa Barbara, San Diego, Santa Ana, LA, SD, Irvine, etc.

Perhaps I'll be a resident this summer.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

If you get sick of it, imagine how sick of it we get.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM

199 posts, read 618,334 times
Agreed! I lived in OC over 25 years ago and people were no different than the people where I came from, Chicago. The people that are constantly bashing California maybe from small town midwest and wouldn't be able to handle any major metropolitan area because it's too much culture shock. The ones I knew that bashed it 25 years ago were from small town Oregon, Missouri, Florida, New Hampshire, and Texas. I view a lot of Chicagoans as being fake, rude, and narrow minded and some are good friends. I may get "bashed" for saying it but I'd rather live in SoCal than Chicago any day!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM

257 posts, read 945,964 times
I lived in Boston for a year and came rushing back to CA. When asked why, I just simply say "I am not an East Coast kind of girl".

This continual parade of haters is quite embarassing and honestly makes you all look like a donkey's ass...but hey, have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County