Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 01:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Most....err make that all private people sector I know, when on salary work as many hours as needed for the job. When we talk about the pension too which are so so generous, most people outside government have to save and plan for retirement. My chp buddy makes good money, wastes it all every month and it doesnt matter, he's going to be just fine, not a care in the world.

Yeah, that guys quote started out ok then took a left turn...
I know several people in the private sector who receive bonuses or have increased promotional opportunities or something similar for beating deadlines. They beat the deadlines by working 'overtime'. So, I would say that although these individuals did not receive overtime pay, they received compensation for their work. Granted, there are employers who don't do any of this. To the employee who works for such an employer, I have no answer other than just because one set of employers don't do something (such as compensate employees for working beyond the regular 40 hours/week) does not mean that all employers should not either.

With that being said, I will agree that there are public sector employees who 'milk the system' and/or are just sitting around and not working. I don't know what they do or how they keep their jobs (or for that matter, how they got their jobs). These people make public sector employees look very bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Government workers are real good at manipulating overtime rules to maximize their pay. One technique I know of (which has since been blocked, at least at my wife's agency) was to take a couple of vacation days, then work over the rest of the week. Since those vacation days count as days worked, they could get OT without actually working 40 hours that week.
That's definitely not right and another example of what makes public sector employees look bad.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

256 posts, read 617,186 times
The managers are considered public safety like police and fire. That is why they get the salaries they do. No one seems to be complaining about what the police chief of fire chief make.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,521 times
They deserve it.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,666,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Give me break^^^ no lifegaurd is worth over 100k, ridiculous.
What about Mitch Buchannon aka. David Hasselhoff?

YouTube - ‪Baywatch S03E01: River of No Return (1) - Part 1/5‬‏

Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
No one seems to be complaining about what the police chief of fire chief make.
I wouldn't say no one. I do, for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County