Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
I don't think you truly believe that.
Why? Most of the psople I know in the private sector who've been there awhile make comparable, except that we also get bonuses, which I don't believe most public sector employees do. I think a lot of less educated private sector workers now are getting hammered though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,975,362 times
If you drown at Newport Beach, you deserve to die. That beach is WEAK.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,584,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Give me break^^^ no lifegaurd is worth over 100k, ridiculous.
Until your child is drowning...

Old 05-15-2011, 12:14 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,467,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat View Post
That's right....but it seems you do have a problem when they are compensated for the risks they take, in their profession. Fortunately for them, NB doesn't think so! Do you take exceptions to Paris Hilton making millions just by smiling at the camera, or the Kardashians(spelling?) raking in, showing off their 'assets' on the TV
I don't have to pay for the Hiltons or the Kardashians. I skip buying their stuff or read the tabloids that traffic in gossip about them. If they can find enough morons out there to buy into their garbage thats their business, not mine.

I DO have to pay the taxes that cover public employee pensions & paychecks & that makes it my business. I do take exception to public employees being overpaid.

We can argue about the degree of the issue, but your attempt to deflect the debate by bringing up private sector situations where someone is paid more then they are worth implies you agree these public sector employees are being paid more then they are worth.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why? Most of the psople I know in the private sector who've been there awhile make comparable, except that we also get bonuses, which I don't believe most public sector employees do. I think a lot of less educated private sector workers now are getting hammered though.
Their benefits and salary do not match the job skills of the average public employee, no way. They get below market-cost health benefits and more lavish pensions that 90% of the workforce, people who's job requirements are little more than a GED.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
If these people's swimming and life-saving skills are SO unique that they can command $200k salaries, why is the bulk of the actual work being done by part-timers making $18-22/hr?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:38 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Derek nailed it. These aren't the tower-sitters getting this pay. These are the Lts, Capts and Chiefs. Most, if not all, of the employees at this level are also PC 832 certified peace officers.
If they are not the tower-sitters then they are not the ones saving -supposedly- 150 idiots a year, right? So the ones doing the real work are the kids making crap while older guys in jeep with fresh sun block on their noses driving around in jeeps looking cool are making the good money?

Then again, in a country where the President and the government goes out of their way to spend billions to save corrupt or non-productive corporations, what is couple of hundred thousand on a group of people who really save lives?

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,748 times
Quote:
Yeah and I'd love to see them do the standard performance test consisting of a 1,000 yard ocean swim, then a 500 yard ocean swim and a 1,500 yard run-swim-run, all in 50 degree water (they're held in early March) and good sized waves. Most of those in that big of a hoard of applicants would have probably died in the process.
I bet every 22 year old who swims for USC and UCLA's team could do that no problem, in fact with the pay and benefits, this would be a great back up plan if they cant find a job after graduating.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Until your child is drowning...

This is the most ridiculous, lazy, and weak argument that keeps getting regurgetated. Of course most parents would pay everything they have to save their drowning child. Thats not the point. The point is ts not limitless what these guys can be paid and $200k plus ridiculous pensions is way out of whack with reality.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,748 times
Quote:
The problem isn't that public employeees are making too much, it's that under our current economic system, average private sector employees have seen almost no real wage growth over the past 25 years while those at the top have done considerably better. Income inequality is becoming a huge problem in the country. The public employees are just the scapegoats.
The private sectors wages could increase via less taxes but who's gonna pay the big salaries and pensions of government workers, IE $200k lifeguards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County