Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh and one more thing:

Everyone please understand the formula CORRECTLY and quit spouting off some fallacy. First off, it is IMPOSSIBLE (unless you can be hired prior to age 21, which I don't think you can, since its sworn position and by state law you must be 21) to retire at 50, with a 90% retirement. The math just won't add up.

The formula is this: 3% at 50 yrs. So, you multiply 3 times the number of years of service. So, IF you were lucky enough to land said job right at age 21, at 50 you would have 29 years of service. 29 X 3=87%.

VERY FEW people get hired right at age 21. Most people are 24-30. So at age 50, they are no where near this "magical, mystical" number of 90%. What that 90% is what could occur, however rarely does. I've been a public employee for 22 years now. I've seen literally dozens, upon dozens, of people retire. Maybe 3 or 4 of them retired at 90%. And those that did, stayed until they were 57 or 60 years old. I've never seen ONE PERSON retire at age 50 at 90% or even 87%. Most have somewhere around 50 or 60%.

Now, take a police office, firefighter, or lifeguard. 29 years of wear, tear, stress on their bodies and minds, what toll does that exact on them? Due you know the psychological damage done to a police officer who is involved in an officer involved shooting? The stress of lawsuits? The toll on the home and family life?

Can you imagine, for one moment, what it would be like, to be a lifeguard, trying to rescue a child drowning and losing the child in your arms? What sort of emotional damage does that lifeguard suffer? Harbor for the rest of their lives? How much are they eaten up inside? Torn apart? How much does that lessen their life span?
I'm so glad that no other workplace causes stress.

These people all knew what kind of profession they were going into. They choose to work those jobs, no one forced them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post

These people all knew what kind of profession they were going into. They choose to work those jobs, no one forced them to.
You can't compare trying to save someone from the ocean and then perform cpr with the fax machine running out of toner. Different levels of stress.......

And no one forced NBA players to play basketball, but they are good at it, and just so happens that profession pays well. Some people sound so bitter because people are making a good living, if it's so easy, go do it yourself.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
In this economy? PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE.......

"More than 1,000 applicants had stood in line -- many of them camping out overnight -- to apply for 35 firefighter jobs that offer $46,000 a year, plus benefits. The city started taking applications from those who qualified at 8 a.m."

Thousands Line Up For 35 Miami Firefighter Jobs

"In total we had almost approximately 3,000 that applied," said Tacoma Fire Lt. Bruce Boyer."

3,000 hopefuls apply for 20 firefighter jobs in Tacoma | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Local & Regional
Yeah and I'd love to see them do the standard performance test consisting of a 1,000 yard ocean swim, then a 500 yard ocean swim and a 1,500 yard run-swim-run, all in 50 degree water (they're held in early March) and good sized waves. Most of those in that big of a hoard of applicants would have probably died in the process.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-13-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:

Yes, they (I) chose the work I do. I am a police officer of 22 years. Prior to that, I was a US Marine, and spent 11 months in a combat zone. I thought I knew all and saw all. I was wrong.

You can't prepare for the horrors of this job. I've been in 4 officer involved shootings, where one I was shot. How do you prepare for that? How to you prepare for the aftermath, which is a 100 times worse then actual event? The lawsuits, which an attorney asks how much your wife's wedding ring costs? A judge appointed trustee over your money for 3 years, and only being given enough money to live off of; all until the lawsuit finishes (oh and you win, after going through three years of hell; did I mention they freeze your wife's money too? Community property state good ole Kalifornia is).

You can't prepare for any of this; you just have to live it through it, the best you can. And effects EVERYONE, no matter how tough you may think you are.

And do I think a person who does this job shouldn't be paid well and have a great retirement? Yes, I do.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
On face, the compensation packages for these guards are staggering. But take into consideration the retirement benefits being paid to currently retired lifeguards and lifeguards who will retire at these pay levels in the future and the problem is further compounded. Lifeguards are able to retire with 90 percent of their salary, after only 30 years of work at as early as the age of 50.

A YouTube video created by Americans for Prosperity-California, an education advocacy organization concerned with limited government, lower taxation, and free-market principles, outlined how in Newport Beach a “recently retired lifeguard, age 51, receives a government retirement of over $108,000 per year for the rest of his life.” The video also notes that “He will make well over $3 million in retirement if he lives to age 80!”
Does anyone wonder why california is in debt? Now I know this is the City of Newport Beach, but no doubt this trend is common among state employees too.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Ooh.

I wanna be a lifeguard now. I just have to graduate from swimming with inflatable arm bands.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, they (I) chose the work I do. I am a police officer of 22 years. Prior to that, I was a US Marine, and spent 11 months in a combat zone. I thought I knew all and saw all. I was wrong.

You can't prepare for the horrors of this job. I've been in 4 officer involved shootings, where one I was shot. How do you prepare for that? How to you prepare for the aftermath, which is a 100 times worse then actual event? The lawsuits, which an attorney asks how much your wife's wedding ring costs? A judge appointed trustee over your money for 3 years, and only being given enough money to live off of; all until the lawsuit finishes (oh and you win, after going through three years of hell; did I mention they freeze your wife's money too? Community property state good ole Kalifornia is).

You can't prepare for any of this; you just have to live it through it, the best you can. And effects EVERYONE, no matter how tough you may think you are.

And do I think a person who does this job shouldn't be paid well and have a great retirement? Yes, I do.

Most cops I know have these stories, some dont. This discussion is not so much about disrespecting the position or the effort or the risk. For the most part those in law enforcement, fire fighters, and even lifeguards are respected for what they do. And people want them to be paid well, but its gotten out of hand. I know family Doctors who dont make $200k.
This issue is about the over adjustment in pay and benefits that is putting hiring and budgets in severe condition. I hate when I see these unions unwilling to give on anything, while accepting layoffs. Pay which was once low, is now high. Pensions that were once good are now high and unmatched in the private sector. Something has to give and sooner or later it will.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 55,912 times
Quote:

That's right....but it seems you do have a problem when they are compensated for the risks they take, in their profession. Fortunately for them, NB doesn't think so! Do you take exceptions to Paris Hilton making millions just by smiling at the camera, or the Kardashians(spelling?) raking in, showing off their 'assets' on the TV

Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
The problem isn't that public employeees are making too much, it's that under our current economic system, average private sector employees have seen almost no real wage growth over the past 25 years while those at the top have done considerably better. Income inequality is becoming a huge problem in the country. The public employees are just the scapegoats.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The problem isn't that public employeees are making too much,
I don't think you truly believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County