Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,256,590 times

Advertisements

Oh. Well that is pretty unusual. Most people on the LA forum are like me. Most people that are rude like that are just trolls that come on the forum and say how bad it is to live in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM

158 posts, read 599,508 times
I've dreamt of LA for years like I told you, you know? Most people conveyed a message to me that it was all trash and gang warfare. It turned me off really fast as far as how thick these people were laying it on.

What's your opinion of SF, my wife is making me ask because she's curious. To me it seems highly expensive and impossible for a transplant like me at this point.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM

SF itself, from how I see it, is not as family friendly. There's a large number of Condos and Townhomes and not many plain, normal, single family homes. San Jose is more for families, but based on a recent newspaper article, crime in the Bay Area is on an extreme upward climb, while it is descending rapidly in Southern California. South Central LA actually saw a 50% drop in crime.

But, based on the statistics about the safest cities and what missionhome has said about the school district, it seems like MV is still your best option. Plus, if you like the palm tree look, SF has none of that. There are no beaches there. And I think it has higher real estate prices. My main turn off from SF if I had a family is that it's not suburban enough, usually meaning higher prices for the same sq. footage and poorer schools. Kids enjoy large backyards. Also, it's very foggy in SF which I don't like. In SoCal, you'll have better access to warmer beaches, the liveliness of LA, quietness (comparitively speaking) of San Diego, the partying in Las Vegas, and skiing in the mountains all within a few hours of you.

MV Lake, my favorite view ever of MV.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:06 PM

About transitioning as a transplant, are you from suburbia or a large city. LA is a ginormous city with a suburbia feeling (as well as Orange County and San Diego) while SF has a large, dense, urban feeling not fit for a family concerned with children that has less than 1,000,000 people.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:07 PM

It is beautiful, no doubt. SoCal definitely appeals to me more but we've always been curious and just wanted to be educated on both areas. The drop in crime really appeals to me. Being a VERY young family, we want to raise our child while still taking care of ourselves, and I want to be close to LA. The first thing I do when I get there is going to be to go to Hollywood and take a picture in front of that damned sign. That's my sign of making it, and a big "F-you" to everyone back home who wanted to go but gave it, and said we couldn't do it.

Ha!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 PM

Cool. So are you gonna come out here and check out the area first? You really should just to make sure you like it.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM

605 posts, read 860,071 times
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say gorgeous! That is right down the freeway from me---how come I've never seen it??????
MV Lake, my favorite view ever of MV.
[/quote]

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Is snow that low rare or does it occur a lot in the winter?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 PM

605 posts, read 860,071 times
Snow occurs on the mountains here, but yes, mostly in cold winters, and only for a short time, from where I live anyway.
That pic is as beautiful as Sausalito, CA. I'm trying to figure out what mountains those are, certainly not San Bernadino/Big Bear!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM

Call me stupid but, we don't have the time or the money. It's the biggest mistake ever, you'll tell me, just like everyone else has, and I understand why you'd say that. But live your entire life in a slow, boring, redneck filled, non-understanding, non-acceptance town and anywhere is paradise. I've visited several places with several types of people and I've never found something, not even in visiting or message board chats or pictures, that attracts me as much as SoCal does.

I don't base it off of a want for being in the film industry, it's a general love for California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County