Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,813 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
Just looking for some feedback on Newport Beach. I am a 27 yr. old single female looking to get out of Michigan and move to the sunshine!
I have visited Newport Beach/Laguna Beach a few times and feel like it would be a fun spot.
I like the beach, going out at night, shopping, good food, friends, etc.
Just looking for some feedback on the area and if it's a good place to move not knowing anyone!!
I know it's expensive but am hoping to land a job making $60-75K. Will I be strapped for $?
Any feedback is great.
Thanks!!
Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e5bullinger View Post
Hi All!
Just looking for some feedback on Newport Beach. I am a 27 yr. old single female looking to get out of Michigan and move to the sunshine!
I have visited Newport Beach/Laguna Beach a few times and feel like it would be a fun spot.
I like the beach, going out at night, shopping, good food, friends, etc.
Just looking for some feedback on the area and if it's a good place to move not knowing anyone!!
I know it's expensive but am hoping to land a job making $60-75K. Will I be strapped for $?
Any feedback is great.
Thanks!!
Emily
You are going to move to one of the most expensive cities in the country with no job and no friends? I hope you have at least $50k saved up or I'd strongly reconsider. If it were that easy to just move to Newport Beach and land a well paying job, don't you think like EVERYONE would be doing it? Stay where you are and save yourself the trouble.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
You are wanting to move to the most expensive areas within a very expensive county. If you want to land a job, do that first. Apply from where you are.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:02 PM

266 posts, read 320,071 times
Definitely make sure you have a job, or you won't last long.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
I would suggest you think very carefully. Yes, the weather is nice, but your whole income will go to rent. I used to live next-door, in an even more expensive area (CDM) and that part of OC is one of the nicest parts of the country, it comes with lots of drawbacks (living costs, traffic, tons of tacky new money, and the ocean, while pretty, is very cold coming from the east.).

You will probably never own in the community. If you're fine with that, it might be a fit. The nice thing is that there are lots of younger people in NB, though, to be honest, I wouldn't really fit in with that crowd, which seems to be auditioning as future members of the "Real Housewives". There's tons to do, but you will see yourself mostly staying in the immediate area, since weekend traffic in the LA/OC area is horrible.

But I get it. You live in Michigan. I lived there as a child, and the weather sucks. It's depressing. OC is warm and sunny most of the time, and you will never have to deal with snow, ice, or heavy clothes. But OC comes with many drawbacks not present in Michigan.

There are also some little things that will be annoying. The tap water is awful compared to water-rich areas back east. The amount of materialism is shocking. I lived in very wealthy areas in Manhattan and Connecticut, and the type of wealth in these places is completely different from the showy style in NB/CDM. There, you would be embarrassed to be driving around in some 200k car. The rich hide their wealth. In contrast. just stop for a fillup at the 76 station in CDM on a Saturday afternoon, and watch the parade of tacky vehicles pass by. Your Chevy Cruise (or whatever) will make you feel like a pauper. Even fellow "paupers" making nothing will be tooling around in BMWs and Audis. Lots of folks living paycheck to paycheck to keep up appearances.

But, is the perfect weather and beautiful landscape enough to overcome the disadvantages? Possibly. I would consider living there again someday, so I get it. But only if I have the money to afford something in prime CDM. Most of inland OC is Phoenix at 3x the price (IMO).

Last edited by NOLA101; 02-21-2015 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Sorry but you dont make enough for newport. Not without roomates. A basic one bed runs 1300 if you can find one. A two bed runs 22-2300.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,945 times
^^ agreed.

You need north of 100K to live in Newport the way you'd be able to live on 65K in other places in the Midwest.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
My wife did that after graduating from U-M (a while ago). She moved to Balboa with no job, no car, no friends, just a fiancee. She had about $800. Enough for a deposit on an apartment (back then). We lived in a tent for a while, I had rented a room on a sailboat. She got a job while standing in line to open a bank account (the lady behind her started talking to her and offered her a job. She bought a car by putting a deposit down on a credit card (not recommended). Eventually she found a roommate - the key to affordable living. Her apartment was right next door to the firestation which was not always pleasant, cockroaches and stray cats were always a problem, but it was cheap and much nicer than the tent. Eventually a friend came to visit and never left, so then she had a close friend.

It was hard, sometimes extremely difficult, but it was doable.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It was hard, sometimes extremely difficult, but it was doable.
Yeah, it's definitely doable. I know young people right now living in NB and making around 60-70k. It's very possible. You could even do it on considerably less, just depends on whether you're open to shares and living completely paycheck to paycheck.

It's not my scene, but I see the appeal for some.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:40 PM

174 posts, read 311,958 times
Honestly, give Costa Mesa a try if you are dead set on living in those areas. My sister had a really great 1 bedroom apartment in Costa mesa (off of Santa Ana Ave near Del mar) for a bout a $1000K a month.

So I have had a reverse experience from the OP. I grew up in LB and went to college in the midwest (wanted to see the exact opposite of where I had grown up - thought it would make me a better person since OC is such a bubble) and I think that you can definitely live well in OC on $65K. You don't be living the dream but its completely doable.

Good luck on your search. But definitely don't move here unless you have some savings and/or a job lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County