Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 AM

19 posts, read 87,333 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I thoroughly enjoy reading the posts to this forum, however, I can't seem to find all the information I'm looking for. I've been living on the coast of Southern Oregon for several years and I'm seriously considering making a move farther north/northeast. The community in which I live is predominately comprised of retirees. Nothing wrong with that; I'll be there one day, God willing. But the activities, group functions, and the like, are geared more toward that demographic. Have taken a couple of road trips to Newport; it holds some appeal for me. Posts referring to Corvallis, Hood River, and North Bend have also piqued my interest. Just want to get a local's 'skinny' on these areas or other towns that would fit the following criteria. Also, what are some places of interest in or nearby these towns?

What I'm looking for: Beaches and hiking trails that can accommodate my two 95 lb. dogs, community that has a venue or two with live entertainment, the occasional festival (loved the '07 Jazz Fest in Newport), good eateries, a community college or other venue for learning and enrichment, a local Humane Society or animal shelter. Last but not least, a reasonably progressive community in which the folks don't discriminate because you're gay, a person of color, etc.

I thank you for anything you can send my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
i think Coos Bay/North Bend might be a good fit.
Theres plenty of trails/beaches for you and your dogs,
we have SouthWestern Oregon Community College here, the coos county animal shelter(who also holds pet available shows in the mall each weekend) we have Charleston crab feed, Blackberry festival, Classic cars festival, the Jazz festival, music in the park at mingus park on weekends in the summertime, ...actually, several different festivals during the spring/summer (a few in the fall/winter too!!) where theres the street booths, kareokee contests, stuff like that...
now Im white, and straight, so i certainly cant say for sure how one would be treated if they were gay or of color, but I think for the most part you would be fine.
might try us out for a visit....see what kind of vibes you get.
Best of luck!!
Tiffany

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 PM

19 posts, read 87,333 times
Tiffany, thanks a bunch. Will have to plan a trip in the very near future.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 13,739 times
Warrenton,Manzinita,Seaside,Astoria might be a good fit there is always something going on.Most people aren't closed minded as some think.Good luck finding something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon