Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times

Advertisements

Hi Tiffany:

I don’t know where you live but I would be happy to visit with you regarding people from other states and Californians in particular. I’ve lived and traveled the US quite a bit and have observed all kinds of personalities. New England is over dressed if you ask me. I found New Yorkers impersonal. If you want friendly, you have to travel to the south where they treat everyone as if they are a part of their family. The best way to describe Californians in one word or less is loners. Relationships are short perhaps a Hollywood influence. Tempers can run short as well. Californians can be impatient. I give my A-negative blood regularly because I know someone out there needs it and does appreciate it even though they don’t know who the donor is. I’m trying to slow down and be more patient by just knowing that it is going to take one hour with or without complaints. The number of people, who want to live here, the same as Oregonians, challenges everyone. Californians treated me horribly after moving here from Michigan. Everyone wanted to know why I moved here and no one seemed afraid to ask.

The bottom line is that there are good and bad people everywhere even in Oregon. The only person you can change is yourself. The best way to make a difference is to be of help to others. I intend to do just than when my wife retires here shortly. I have always loved my home state of Oregon and always will. I do think the people are nice who live there… for the most part. When I was up in Washington, I won’t mention the city, I asked my adult daughter to go on a walk with me. As we strolled down the street, I pointed out all the junk people had in their yards. Neighbors did not seem to care that junk was strewn everywhere. Community pride was missing.

Californians will in time learn to be nice. They will keep their cars clean. They will pay their bills on time and they will shop till they drop. They will behave themselves and become good Oregonians eventually. You have to cut them some slack in order for them to get used to their new surroundings.

The least you can do is make them feel welcome when they come. I hope Oregon will welcome this native son upon his return.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:40 PM

45 posts, read 256,086 times
Default California driving vs Oregonian driving

Here's a strange thing I have noticed between California driving and Oregonian driving (and I'm a native). Californians, on the average, know how to merge in traffic. Oregonians, on the average, are horrid at merging traffic. I have to admit, I'm one of those people. Another thing I've noticed is that if Oregonians see rain, we keep the same speed. If Californians see a wee sprinkle, they drop the speed a little (because everybody's heard of hydroplaining *chuckle*). Oregonians have 80 different names for rain it seems. How can you tell the difference between a native from a newbie? When it mists, sprinkles, rains, pours, showers, drizzles, spits, or pummels down rain test the person. A native will get it right every time.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintusCinna View Post
Here's a strange thing I have noticed between California driving and Oregonian driving (and I'm a native). Californians, on the average, know how to merge in traffic. Oregonians, on the average, are horrid at merging traffic. I have to admit, I'm one of those people. Another thing I've noticed is that if Oregonians see rain, we keep the same speed. If Californians see a wee sprinkle, they drop the speed a little (because everybody's heard of hydroplaining *chuckle*). Oregonians have 80 different names for rain it seems. How can you tell the difference between a native from a newbie? When it mists, sprinkles, rains, pours, showers, drizzles, spits, or pummels down rain test the person. A native will get it right every time.

Lets see if I can get those in the proper order.

mists
spits
sprinkles
drizzles
showers
rains
pours
pummels

How did I do?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 24,413 times
Default People of So. Cal. vs. People of the State of Oregon

I lived in So. California most of my life..... I was born in Acapulco, Mex. Yes, I am a MEXICAN (legal of course)... and yes, as you can see, I speak English.

Well, I don’t know where to begin.... Well, right... I lived in San Diego, California for most of my life. I moved to So. Oregon August 2005. Though, I love the trees, air, mountains and all the outdoors stuff, Oregon is NOT FOR ME... nor for any fellow So. Californian out there. I mean all of the greenery is nice, but after a while it gets old... really old. Nothing stays open past 6 p.m. There is no good food. And most importantly, JOB wages suck...After a while everything becomes depressing.

One of the most important factors of why I hate Oregon, is simply the PEOPLE... My mother came up to visit for the holidays one year and she too noticed it. All of you NATIVE OREGONIANS are so discriminatory towards Californians, African Americans, Mexicans, and any other type of race not HICK. Yes, Oregonians (NATIVE) consider Oregon as their own Country (stupid thinking). You treat everybody, that’s not Oregonian, like dirt. No wonder we hate it here. I mean what is up with all the California comments I get when I show my CADL.

YOU ARE THE MAIN REASON WHY WE COMPLAIN ABOUT OREGON

For all you Oregonians... that obviously do not understand Californians, here you go: In So. California there is excitement in the air. Most of you lack this as you all either become hicks, alcoholics (number of bars v. churches in So. Oregon, and studies on DUII cases ), drug users, and even southern Californian wanna bes.

Stop pretending.. If ALL OF YOU did not have cable tv, with shows from NY and CA, what would you do........SIMPLY NOTHING....

Any Californians that are thinking about moving here, please just THINK... IT’S A HAPPY THOUGHT (getting away from the traffic and crowds).... BUT THAT’S ALL IT IS.... A HAPPY THOUGHT.... Learn from the many that moved here. All are moving back.. There is truth when people sing “California here I come, right back where I started from.”

Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Hi Sabrina:

That is a VERY pretty name.

If you are looking for Oregonians, its people, to make you happy, forget it. Life is pretty much what you make it no matter where you live. I have always remembered that every time you point a finger at someone you have three on that same hand pointing right back at you.

You are going to be treated just about the same as you treat others. I don't care what state you live in, including California, you are not going to get until you give and that goes for Oregonians as well.

Based on your attitude, most Oregonians would like to see you go back to California. I don't. Turn lemons into lemonade by treating others better than they have treated you. Nothing can stop that faster than a smile. For some reason, you have given them permission to walk all over you. Smile and say, what can I do for you this fine day and all that ridicule will come to an abrupt stop.

One thing Californians don’t do often enough is smile. You can’t hate anyone with a smile on his or her face.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Default The Controversial Life

I understand the situation you are going through though the racism you felt was by a small minute group of people in southern Oregon. Your stereo-typing of Oregonians is no better. It gives the impression that you were already hostile. The job market in Medford is incredibly good- better chance of getting a job there than in southern California- check your numbers. Racism does exist in Medford when it comes to Mexicans and Mexican-Americans. Though they are quite important to the agriculture of southern Oregon, immigrants are also quite costly. Most immigrants (I'm not talking American citizens) do not have car insurance. Nor do they follow the local laws as easily as those within the community. It is a fact that immigrants cost twice as much as they bring in on average between car accidents, criminal mischief, rental abuse, and housing inspection. What pains me is that some people assume that your skin color makes you not a member of society. Because you are a minority, no matter if you want to or not you represent the heritage you came from. If you are a snotty Irish, people assume all Irish are snotty (and so on). Yes, there are quite a bit of churches in southern Oregon but that doesn't stop it from having more aetheists and non-religious than southern California (again check your facts). I know of only about a fifth of the stores that close at 6 pm. The rest close at 9pm or later. Check your facts. Racism exists at all levels. I am a white person that owned an African art store and found far more racism the other direction in proportion. More activities in southern California? We have surfing, hiking, camping, fishing, parachuting, paint-ball fighting, and so on. Last time I checked southern California's camping is next to a semi-arid desert. If you like that sort of thing, I guess it's okay. And just because there's the same store every 3 blocks in Southern California doesn't mean there's variety. Again, check your facts please before you generalize that we are hicks. I have a master's degree. Also this is a fact. Southern Oregon is the only area in the ENTIRE US that has Mediterranean climate (it's true). Southern California's climate does not. It's surprising to believe but it's true thanks to the current.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Default People of the State of California v. People of the State of Oregon

I appreciate all of your replies. When I wrote the post, I expected negative comments from you NATIVE Oregonians... Your comments, PROVED MY EARLIER POINT....

Why do you think us Californians keep on complaining?

Well, let me explain further....

My in-laws moved here about 5 years ago. We decided to relocate to So. Oregon to keep them company and to make sure they were well taken care of. My sister in-law and her husband moved out here as well. We all came up, bought homes, and yes, got jobs (paying what I earned in 1997).

I moved up here with a GREAT attitude. I was really exited (getting away from the crowds, being able to buy a home and to be able raise my children in a smaller town). However, after just two (2) days here, I learned how hateful and racist Oregonians could be. Especially, to a Mexican from California.

JUST TWO days after arriving, during a trip to the local Drug Store, in Grants Pass, Oregon, I overheard a conversation held by the cashier and another employee, what you call, your “fellow Native Oregonians.” They held an entire 20 min. conversation about “Stupid Californians,” “They build their houses up in our Mountains,” “they will not be happy until this is a big City,” and so forth.

THAT WAS JUST THE BEGINNING...

From then on, I kept receiving comments and have had several conversations regarding the same topic. Oregonians trying to protect their “land.” So, it was not that I was “already hostile” as you say, nor that I “have given them permission” to walk all over me.” That’s just a big fat excuse.

I also found that many Native Oregonian Employers will not hire minorities, non-US Citizens, nor women. My sister in law was actually told, by a major employer (will not mention any names) that some higher male employees “refuse” to work with women. How disgusting is that!!!!

And you say “you will find making friends in Oregon easy.” Whatever!!!!

After just three (3) months, I wanted to sell my house and move back. I now would rather RENT in So. California than own my own home and reside here.

THIS IS EXACTLY YOUR GAME PLAN. Push and hope people move back.. WE GOT IT!

Oh! But can’t you see?...... Californian’s are bringing the BIG money to Oregon. They bring Jobs, entertainment, etc.... most of what you NATIVES are utilizing... But, somehow, you still feel that all of this is of your own doing... Well, sorry to bust your bubble.

So, stop using the victim role!!!. It is only fair that Californians feel like they need to protect themselfs from people like you.

I encourage you to look at earlier posts and see comments made by your fellow Oregonians... Well, to make it easier, I have gather some of them for your own viewing pleasure. Enjoy!!!!

“snotty,self serving, worthless, idiots from Southern California” -
“Californians will in time learn to be nice” - Learn??
“they will behave themselves and become good Oregonians eventually” - you could not pay me enough!!!!
“A native will get it right every time” - what a joke!
“One thing Californians don’t do often enough is smile” :-) :-) :-):-) :-) :-)
“ As far as Im concerned all of you Californians can all go home. You have turned Oregon in to a little LA, driven up the price of property sky high and brought all of your problems with you. Go back to Fairy land” - If we did, there would be nothing left...
“ I have said before that there are people from all over, including Californians, who we welcome to come and live here, enjoy our state and have them become Oregonians” - Thank you for giving us permission. Thanks, but no thanks.”
“Most immigrants (I'm not talking American citizens) do not have car insurance. Nor do they follow the local laws as easily as those within the community. It is a fact that immigrants cost twice as much as they bring in on average between car accidents, criminal mischief, rental abuse, and housing inspection.” Say WHAT! Tell me that’s not racism...
“All you need be is a card carrying citizen of the good old USA.”

P.S. As to the church reply, please read my post again. I meant that there is more Bars here in Oregon than there are Churches (again check my post).

Old 08-30-2006, 05:16 PM

Sabrina, all this complaining is what Oregonian's like least about Californian's. Until you can get rid of the bitterness in your heart, you will not get along with anyone in any state. What did you do to give those two women in that store cause to talk badly about you? There are always two sides to every story. They didn’t know you from Adam. Until you fix that attitude of yours, you are not going to get along any better in Southern California. Problems in California are what led you to move to Oregon. Moving from state-to-state is not going to solve Sabrina’s problems.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Default People of the State of California v. People of the State of Oregon

"There are two sides of every story." Sad Excuse!.....

Old 08-30-2006, 07:15 PM

Let's move on. Apparently there will always be people proud of their home state. Sometimes responding to tantrums only makes the tantrums last longer. I wonder what the biggest shock is to southern Californians that hit Oregon? Lack of sales tax? All the rain? Typically it's the rain that I hear about the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon