Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 47,171 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am starting the process of researching and possibly attempting to seek employment with the Disney Company. I was hoping someone roaming these boards might be able to fill me in a little on this idea. Briefly, I have owned my own business now for 20 years, insurance agency and my wife has been in the banking industry for 20 years as well, we live in the Atlanta area and have always been avide fans of the Disney Co. However we are both tired of the Atlanta area and have always considered moving to Fla/Orlando area. I have always wanted to work for Disney and now the opportunity to change careers has presented itself. Neither of us are college grads but have many years of management/public relations experence. Without going into more details and hopefully a Disney employee might be able to respond, does Disney hire people in our age bracket for jobs, me 43 and her 39 or am I to late to realize the dream.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter and if there is a possiblity any suggestion on the best way to contact Disney on this matter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 65,711 times
I had that same dream 20 years ago but not anymore after hearing things that Disney do to their employees which I don't agree with it, maybe to a teenager or someone in the 20's would be fine with that but for 40 year olds like us is hard to take.
Don't get me wrong I like Disney when is time to visit with my family but in getting a job there I'll doubt it maybe when I retire and collect my pension.
I suggest you do some reading around the forum and you'll find good info about this subject.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Upper management positions pay quite well. Entry and low level positions do not pay that well.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
I worked for Disney as an Executive Secretary for the upper management people and they consisted of two types:
1 - people who have been with the company for decades
2 - people with amazing work histories and degrees.

It is my experience that only those who have worked for the company for years are able to get the management jobs without college degrees. But why not look into it further?? Have you called the job hotline? Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
I worked for Disney as an Executive Secretary for the upper management people and they consisted of two types:
1 - people who have been with the company for decades
2 - people with amazing work histories and degrees.

It is my experience that only those who have worked for the company for years are able to get the management jobs without college degrees. But why not look into it further?? Have you called the job hotline? Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you all for input and cmj for your input from the inside, we have just started tthe process of investigating this idea, so no I have not made any contact with Disney at this point. Naturally, I understand that we would have to start at the bottom and climb the ladder again and I'm fairly confident I could eventually work my way up, but mainly I was wonder if the powers that be, take into consideration prior work experience/management experince into consideration.
My wife on the other hand was looking at the credit union/financial office area I think she is ready to just work and not manage anymore

Thanks Again!!

Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Disney does consider prior work experience. They also love a great attitude and you seem to have that going for you as well. For your wife, I would suggest looking into Vista Credit Union. It is the credit union for Disney employees and their families. The employees are considered "Cast Members" and receive all the benefits that other Disney Employees receive (and Disney's Benefits are the best around).

Vista's web page has job listings and the Walt Disney World job line is (407) 828-1000.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM

66 posts, read 230,373 times
even if you do get a lower level position, full time benefits are good. if i remember correctly.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 PM

cmj_fla Thanks for the phone number, we are still researching the various other things you consider when moving. We have a 12 year old son, so quality of schools, etc are important to us. Shnikee, thanks I have heard that there beneifits are very good,,on a side note. You ever heard of Otis ANG base??? I was stationed there years ago in the US Coast Guard, flew on those things with big fans on top of them.

Thanks Again!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 PM

66 posts, read 230,373 times
Default Uscg

Actually that's where I live right now. Husband is EM in boston but soon going to school for AET. ... To work on those flying things... with the fans on top.
Were you stationed anywhere else? Cape Cod is waaay too cold for me. (We moved here Jan.)

Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Nope they sent me to Woods Hole out of boot camp. I was on a bouy tender there, got orders to Elizabeth City(5 months there) graduated and they sent me right back to Falmouth to Airsta Cape Cod, but it worked out ok, met my wife there she is from Plymouth and yes the Cape is a COLD place. I was there 4 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando