Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,545 times

Advertisements

hi there may name is johnathon breckin i am 19, 20 in june i have 2 years left to i am a full plumber and gas man i am looking to move to orlando when i have done, 1 what is it like to a brit to live over there 2 will i find a job as a plumber or will i find it hard to get a job as one, and how do i go about geting the ball going to look at moving over there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 AM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
Hi there, Well i am also a Brit living here in Orlando, and from my perspective it is a great place to live. Great weather, lots to do, and friendly people.

However, i dont know the specifics of your particular situation, but all i will tell you is it is not easy particularly for a young person to be able to just move out here. You need to have visa's and this can only be obtained either by being sponsored by a large company (plumbers and HVAC repairers are a dime a dozen here so that route would be unlikely), by starting your own business or buying a business (this you need to have significant funds to do not only to start or buy the business but to buy a home and show you can sustain yourself if the worse comes to the worse in terms of savings), and of course by marrying an American.

To give you an example of my situation, i came here on a visa through my company. We have a large family business in the UK and i came here to set up our US head office originally. Hence i was able to obtain a visa that way. But it still takes time. You will hear some people saing they have waited for years to just get the visa. If you aredetermined this is half the battle but the whole situation can get very disheartening.

I think you need to do some online research on visas first because if you havent already looked into this, then you will be in for a shock, because its not like Europe where you can just g oand work, and the US take their immigration very seriously.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 AM

will i work for my dad so i think i can get the cash

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM

Then you shouldnt have a problem applying, But i am no expert, i can only tell you from my experience and they did an exhaustive check on our companies financials. From that aspect its easier to buy a business, but the type of business has to meet certain criteria aswell. You have to emply a certain amount of US citizens, you have to have when i was looking at it over $250,000 in savings etc etc.

You would really be best served by speakingn to a professional who deals in this sort of thing. I would recommend an attorney over here just because there are alot of con artists in the UK. That way your not guessing and wasting your time if it turns out it is something that may not be a viable option, because its not just a matter of getting a wage from your father. There are many hurdles to over come and also remember the qualifications in plumbing you have in the UK are not the same as here, and you would more than likely have to study here to bring you inline with the US unless the course you are doing is certified here in the US aswell.

I just dont want you to get the impression that it is easy to do this thing and just a matter of getting a wage from your parents and jumping on a plance because it isnt like that at all. There are many people who will tell you that on here, and indeed if you look there are a number of threads about immigration which i have seen and responded to in the past on here and they have all said the same thing.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 AM

36 posts, read 120,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post

I just dont want you to get the impression that it is easy to do this thing and just a matter of getting a wage from your parents and jumping on a plance because it isnt like that at all. There are many people who will tell you that on here, and indeed if you look there are a number of threads about immigration which i have seen and responded to in the past on here and they have all said the same thing.
Seconded, and thirded Immigration reserves the right to turn you down for any reason, including no reason at all, and they do do that sometimes. It messes up people's lives, but remember that from Immigration's perspective, it is a privilege for you to work/live/study in the US, and not a right. They don't owe you anything.

Have you thought about the studying in the US option? Gets you a foot in the door with visas and so on. There are a lot of training and vocational schools here.

Even if you want to come to the US more than anything, have a really solid Plan B for staying in the UK. Have a job lined up, a place to live, etc., in case it all falls through. Immigration is very expensive, time-consuming, sometimes heartbreaking, and always stressful. I've done (albeit as a student) and it's worth it, but it's hard.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 PM

well as i have said i work for my dad and if it all go's **** up i will have a job and some were to live and i don't wont to go and set a company up i wont to work for some one as a plumber for a bit some i get to know what plumbeing is like over there then if i can set up a company but when i say i wont to move to orlando they laf as i am only 19

Old 05-08-2008, 05:39 PM

126 posts, read 570,989 times
Oh dear, what can I say? Oh I know......forget it.

And you can all go ahead and flame me for being so direct, but this young man hasn't got a hope in hell of coming here legally to work as a plumber.

Come on you guys......let's tell it like it is and not sugar coat it. No point even giving him an ounce of encouragement, he'll only be bitterly disappointed in the end.

Cruel to be kind and all that.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 27,724 times
Default immigrating

Hello Johnathon,

If this is something that you seriously want to do.
Start your paperwork with the immgration office now.
It could take a few years to get the ok to move her permanently.

I have a friend who is being sponsored by family and it still has taken 6 years to complete the process.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 AM

126 posts, read 570,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationhomes View Post
Hello Johnathon,

If this is something that you seriously want to do.
Start your paperwork with the immgration office now.
It could take a few years to get the ok to move her permanently.

I have a friend who is being sponsored by family and it still has taken 6 years to complete the process.
But he doesn't have family here to sponsor him. So what's the point?

Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 AM

Thats why i said he needs to either start a business or buy a business with his father and even that route would take him a while. If he just wants to come here and get a job, in all honesty in the industry he works he doesnt really have a chance.

Im sorry it sounds so harsh but we are only here to offer advice and help and i think its best were realistic with you so you can decide what else to do.

I would consult an immigration Attorney who can be alot more comprehensive with you than we can be, but in these circumstances i think they will tell ou the same thing. I totally understand you wanting to work for someone else to begin with to learn the industry here, the problem is, the industry you work in is a very common one, and companies dont need to recruit from the UK because there are so many out of work plumbers here. It isnt a specialized skill unique to you or the UK which you have. Im sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando