Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,695,105 times

Advertisements

Our ice and coal were delivered by truck, the milkman and ragman had horse-drawn wagons, while the Good Humor man rode a tricycle.

The Post Office delivered our mail twice daily. I remember that many letters arrived with postage due, but the mailman always put them in the box. We would then put the pennies owed in the box, and he would collect them on his next trip. He may not have broke even every year on the "postage due" transactions, but he was properly rewarded at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 03:58 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Ayds diet....just candy...what a ripoff. You could just eat regular candy to spoil your appetite.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
When movie theaters had ushers that showed you to your seats and carried flashlights to light the way. In those days movie theaters were palatial in their decor. I remember one in my town in those days that was actually named the Palace Theater.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I remember when you could write out a handwritten note and leave it in your mailbox for the postman to hold your mail and he would. He would also hold your mail if you just verbally told him to hold it. Or if you had no stamps, you could leave the unstamped letter or package in your mailbox with cash and the postman would take the item to the PO then bring you change the next day. I also remember the postman driving out to the barn when he would see the door open just to say hello and talk to you about your latest ongoing project. And if you were past middle age, he would check to make sure you were okay.

I also remember when the checkout lady at the local grocery store would check your eggs to make sure you didn't have any broken eggs in your carton and, if you did, remove the broken ones and replace them with good eggs.

Oops! Never mind. I guess I'm remembering what happened this past month here at the farm.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Ayds diet....just candy...what a ripoff. You could just eat regular candy to spoil your appetite.

My mother had those

And us kids would eat them like candy

Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
I'm so old I remember Hadacol. Cured everything. Also contained 12% Alcohol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadacol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKtgkJBVSOs

Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I remember when you could write out a handwritten note and leave it in your mailbox for the postman to hold your mail and he would. He would also hold your mail if you just verbally told him to hold it. Or if you had no stamps, you could leave the unstamped letter or package in your mailbox with cash and the postman would take the item to the PO then bring you change the next day. I also remember the postman driving out to the barn when he would see the door open just to say hello and talk to you about your latest ongoing project. And if you were past middle age, he would check to make sure you were okay.

I also remember when the checkout lady at the local grocery store would check your eggs to make sure you didn't have any broken eggs in your carton and, if you did, remove the broken ones and replace them with good eggs.

Oops! Never mind. I guess I'm remembering what happened this past month here at the farm.
LOL. I tape a $1 bill to a letter if I have no stamps and leave it in the mailbox for the postman. Part of their job is to sell stamps. Always get the change in a little brown envelope the next day. If there isn't enough postage on the letter I have left for him to pick up I get a "bill" for the postage due and he leaves a little envelope to put it in.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
I remember when the TV repairman came to the house with a case of assorted vacuum tube to fix the TV.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:17 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
When movie theaters had ushers that showed you to your seats and carried flashlights to light the way. In those days movie theaters were palatial in their decor. I remember one in my town in those days that was actually named the Palace Theater.
We had some gorgeous old cinemas..some though were fleapits but the nicer ones made us feel like Royalty with deep carpetting, luxurious silk curtains.. ornate decorations and art deco lighting. how different from todays plain jane cinemas, the only thing I didnt like was smoking... the smoke used to curl in a blue smoke making shapes through the projector light above us in the stalls... and seats had ashtrays attached too.. Im old enough to remember putting whitening on sandshoes and sitting them out on the window ledge to dry on a summers day.... also old enough to remember when girls never wore trousers, only dresses, with big bows on the back. and a time when children didnt grow up so fast..

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-14-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 AM

190 posts, read 247,212 times
I know of people who regularly say they remember when cans of vegetable (like green giant green beans or corn) were 10 cents a can, and sometimes they forget its all these years later because 50 or 60 cents on sale is a ripoff and how it should be lower. I did have an aunt (when she was living she was in her 80s when she said this) who said sometimes how back in her day $20 was a ton of money per week - you can buy everything and would last all month. From just milk, bread, and eggs; to candy (for a penny); to you name it. Now $20 gets you bread, milk, and eggs at Shop Rite and its already $10.

But for me, I can show my age but it may seem relatively modern compared to Johnny Carson and when Polio was a thing.

-- Nintendo 64

-- When MS Word had the dancing paper clip and notepad.

-- Cassettes & CDs

-- When people first started to download music (minority of people), it was through LimeWire but it never became popular/trend/etc because it put viruses on your computer.

-- I remember when the minority of people started getting iPods (when iPods first came out -- also I was in 7th or 8th grade when it first came out). It caught on when I was a freshman in high school.

-- Terry Shiavo case on TV (vaguely remember because of these next sentences). I was in 8th grade at the time, and its not like you pay attention to the news and what goes on in the world unless its a big thing and then you get what you are able to pick up from the news. But since it was a big case, I knew some things about the case (just the basics).

-- When iPods first came out, since no one bought online because the only way to get music was through programs that gave computer viruses so it never caught on, you still had to buy the CD and put songs onto iPod.

-- When Pokemon was a thing and had bunch of commercials.

-- Tamagotchi

-- Jelly shoes

-- Slap bracelets

-- Light-up sneakers were a thing (grammar school). I know they still have light-up sneakers now but it doesnt appear to be a thing.

-- Windows 95 and 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics