Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,697,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I remember the control for the car's highbeams being on the floor and operated by the left foot.
Little before my time but I think truck starters were once on the floor too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
I'm so old I remember... 3 speed on the column shifting driving and working the clutch and brake all at the same time was how you learned to drive in Driver's Education in School.. and left clutch-and dimmer switch.. holding the steering wheel with the left hand and shifting with the right hand.. this is on the steering column not on the floor.. and this becomes really interesting on a hill with ice and snow..
And those ash trash in the 50's.. you could stick your foot in them.. and the lighter was like a burner on a electric stove. And the gas cap.. hidden behind the license plate bracket folds down.. Chevy 55 if memory serves me.. flip up the left tail light.. gas cap inside. International Harvester Scout had the gas cap lower right side of front windshield gas tank in front of passenger.. Most pick-ups the gas cap was behind the drivers left elbow outside the cab.. fuel tank behind driver and passage.. so when you flicked the cigarette out the window it would roll back and hang for a bit on the neck of the gas fill pipe.. and those vent windows.. made for fresh air and flicking the cigarette out.. Vacuum wipers.. speed up increase the vacuum and made the wipers go faster.. a leak in the vacuum line the wiper would work random.. vacuum was used on the distributor and a leak mess up the engine.. O the joy of working on a simple machine.. under a chestnut tree.. a cold beer --on a Saturday afternoon..

Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I remember the control for the car's highbeams being on the floor and operated by the left foot.
I remember when the starter button was on the floor which is where the old phrase, "step on the starter" comes from.

These days we only hear the phrase "step on it" which refers to the accelerator pedal which in most cases is still on the floor.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Vacuum wipers.. speed up increase the vacuum and made the wipers go faster..
Yes. I remember well setting the wiper blade speed in my '56 Fairlane to tap out Louie Louie as we cruised the "drag."

Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
hand chokes

I always thought they gave you less problems than the automatic chokes.
Seems with the auto chokes no two cars started alike in cold weather

Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
hand chokes

I always thought they gave you less problems than the automatic chokes.
Seems with the auto chokes no two cars started alike in cold weather
Lots of people flooded the carbs in those days before they learned the characteristics of their own vehicle. The manual choke certainly made it more difficult to loan your car out. Yes that was in these days when you could still get to the carburetor to put a little gas into it if you had to.

I also recall oil bath air filters. They were nasty things to clean but very cheap to operate and effective.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
Quote:
I'm so old I remember... 3 speed on the column shifting driving and working the clutch and brake all at the same time was how you learned to drive in Driver's Education in School.. and left clutch-and dimmer switch.. holding the steering wheel with the left hand and shifting with the right hand.. this is on the steering column not on the floor.. and this becomes really interesting on a hill with ice and snow..
And those ash trash in the 50's.. you could stick your foot in them.. and the lighter was like a burner on a electric stove. And the gas cap.. hidden behind the license plate bracket folds down.. Chevy 55 if memory serves me.. flip up the left tail light.. gas cap inside. International Harvester Scout had the gas cap lower right side of front windshield gas tank in front of passenger.. Most pick-ups the gas cap was behind the drivers left elbow outside the cab.. fuel tank behind driver and passage.. so when you flicked the cigarette out the window it would roll back and hang for a bit on the neck of the gas fill pipe.. and those vent windows.. made for fresh air and flicking the cigarette out.. Vacuum wipers.. speed up increase the vacuum and made the wipers go faster.. a leak in the vacuum line the wiper would work random.. vacuum was used on the distributor and a leak mess up the engine.. O the joy of working on a simple machine.. under a chestnut tree.. a cold beer --on a Saturday afternoon..
Shinin' Times, to be sure.

Vacuum wipers. Loved them.
Remember driving home from Miami once as a Hurricane (Cleo, I think) was coming in. The rain was so bad, I ended up driving up Military Trail in low gear to keep the wipers running well enough to see where I was going.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'm so old I remember...
And the gas cap.. hidden behind the license plate bracket folds down.. Chevy 55 if memory serves me.. flip up the left tail light.. gas cap inside..
1956 Chevrolet had that type of hidden gas cap too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...91324662750165

Old 04-03-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
1956 Chevrolet had that type of hidden gas cap too.
The 1957 Chevy also had a hidden gas cap in the "fin."

Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The 1957 Chevy also had a hidden gas cap in the "fin."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...91334528149376

Scroll down to see the gas cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics