Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Indeed I did. They sure beat today's plastic bumper covers. For that matter, all the rest of the plastic in use today.
When I drove a taxi cab our bumpers were filled with water to absorb some energy during low speed collisions. The taxis were white and the bumpers were red vinyl, and they didn't look out of place at all. It was the driver's responsibility to maintain the water level, and the company would send an inspector out to check your bumper during your shift. Woe to the driver who didn't have a full bumper.

Look Ma, No Dents! A Look at a Water-Filled Bumper - Articles - Operations - Articles - Automotive Fleet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I'm so old I remember... All the cars.. had the Rocket design from tail fins to tail lights-- interiors the same. All metal dash with all metal pointy knobs.. and no seat belts ... no child safety seats -- how did we survive.. Medicine cabinets unlocked with allsorts of interesting things to swallow and poke with.. and every kid that lived in the country always had a double barrel shot gun behind the kitchen door.. along with dads and granddads fishing tackle box that had all those sharp hooks. And everything thing packed in glass from shampoo to pickles.. Glasses were glass.. also packed in laundry detergent.. and when you scraped your knee.. you spit on it and kept playing... we had cap guns all metal and exploding caps.. how did we survive.. riding in boats with no life jacket.. running barefoot all summer long.. and playing in the snow in the winter till are pants froze solid.. Every kid had " DEATH HILL " for the sled.. the radio flyer that would do a zillion miles and hour.. down hill in the snow...

Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
And we all rode bicycles with no helmets or pads. Same with Flexi-Racers, pogo-sticks and stilts. How did we survive indeed!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Listening in on other peoples conversations on party lines was called " rubbing"

(I believe it was short for " rubber neck " )
I remember party lines, but I haven't heard that before. I was really young, though.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:58 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And we all rode bicycles with no helmets or pads. Same with Flexi-Racers, pogo-sticks and stilts. How did we survive indeed!
Did you put playing cards on the spokes with clothes pins to make noise? We did.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Did you put playing cards on the spokes with clothes pins to make noise? We did.
This made me laugh because I DID do that. Two playing cards. One on the front wheel, one on the back. The louder the better. I used to snag them from the house. We always had decks of cards on hand. My parents played pinochle and Mom loved playing solitaire but she had trouble finding a full deck around the house. Hmmm Come to think of it, I've been accused of not playing with a full deck, either.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This made me laugh because I DID do that. Two playing cards. One on the front wheel, one on the back. The louder the better. I used to snag them from the house. We always had decks of cards on hand. My parents played pinochle and Mom loved playing solitaire but she had trouble finding a full deck around the house. Hmmm Come to think of it, I've been accused of not playing with a full deck, either.
I did that too and loved it. Finally got a motorcycle and didn't need the cards anymore.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I did that too and loved it. Finally got a motorcycle and didn't need the cards anymore.
Show off!

Old 05-07-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Playing cards and the clothes pin on the rear fender support... We were as kids.
I had a Western Flyer 26 inch bike... Rocket Fuel Tank between your legs.. with two red rocket nozzles under the seat.. a switch near the handle bar neck would allow you to make turns.. the nozzles would blink as in turn signals.. up front was the twin air intake.. which had head lamps.. all powered by 6 Every Ready D cell batteries ( housed in the fuel tank ) the batteries would burst and leak over the winter when stored in the basement

Old 05-07-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

Like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzGqY2zHuSo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics