Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... Trying to remember either Sears & Roebuck or Montgomery Wards had a home survival kit. Basically Korean War Vintage MRE meals - Water distillery for safe drinking water - blankets - first aid kit.. and a " Geiger Counter" for home use.
While at Albuquerque seeing after the roofing job on my house I actually saw an old 1950s Geiger counter at a garage sale. The seller told me his dad had been a geologist. I wish now I had bought the boxy thing. The seller didn't want anything for it and it was a great piece of Americana especially for someone like me who loves the old sci-fi movies where radiation could turn just about anything into a gigantic monster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 PM

939 posts, read 788,778 times
I remember when radar was first introduced.

Opposing traffic would warn the oncoming cars by flashing their headlights twice.

Someone figured out that if your turn signals were activated before passing, they would throw it off.

Another trick was that people placed wadded-up aluminum foil between all the wheel rims and the hubcaps.

I don't remember which above ploy was used first, but once the cops realized people were manipulating the system, they revamped it.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:29 PM

939 posts, read 788,778 times
Madras Jackets

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,276 times
The cost of Thrifty Ice Cream Cones

15 cents single scoop
30 cents double scoop
45 cents triple scoop

That was considered cheap back then

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Yep. Shinin' times, those 70s
I remember having to pick my daughter up from the Emergency Room after she crashed at a Roller Disco. Broken Ankle, four broken ribs, a sprained knee and a Blood Alcohol was .13, and the Cops were waiting. She was only 16, and they lectured me on being a responsible parent. She was SO grounded.
But where were the parents? I love that one.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
While at Albuquerque seeing after the roofing job on my house I actually saw an old 1950s Geiger counter at a garage sale. The seller told me his dad had been a geologist. I wish now I had bought the boxy thing. The seller didn't want anything for it and it was a great piece of Americana especially for someone like me who loves the old sci-fi movies where radiation could turn just about anything into a gigantic monster.
We had a Geiger counter back around the time of the Medina Base explosion
Nukes were stored in bunkers at that time there. It was feared nukes were involved and apparently some material at least was involved but it wasn't a nuclear explosion. So I'm thinking my dad acquired one just to make sure. I don't know whatever became of it.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Us, as well. The funny thing about it is, even though we only picked up three or four stations, there was always something good to watch. Nowadays, you can have cable or satellite with 150 stations and everything on them is garbage. lol

I live close enough to the broadcast towers, I don't have cable OR satellite. Just an indoor antenna. I get to watch the cool shows from years ago ... Perry Mason, Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Hour, Mannix, Ironside, Carol Burnett, The (original) Tonight Show with Johnny Carson ... oh so many
We have several major stations here and we do get METV or MYTV that runs all the good oldies you mention. Thank God for that.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 PM

I'm so old I remember when TV once had a modicum of censorship. Certain hours for certain programming too. Not anymore! They have unleashed the full extent of Hollywood's sordid trash and programming absent of all moral roadblocks. Don't let your kids watch. I'd keep them home from college too.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We have several major stations here and we do get METV or MYTV that runs all the good oldies you mention. Thank God for that.
Yes! MeTV. That's the station that has my old shows. Suffering from insomnia in my old age, I watch all those shows I mentioned well into the wee hours of the morning. It's really nice not having to pay to watch TV anymore, though. Yay!

Old 05-06-2017, 11:57 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'm so old I remember when TV once had a modicum of censorship. Certain hours for certain programming too. Not anymore! They have unleashed the full extent of Hollywood's sordid trash and programming absent of all moral roadblocks. Don't let your kids watch. I'd keep them home from college too.
It's an "anything goes" society now. <sigh>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics