Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times

Advertisements

SteveBago-Howard Hughes? Believe he and jane Russel were an "item' then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:17 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
The movie The Outlaw, was actually completed in 1941 but because of the controversy surrounding it, it was only released in theaters for one week in 1943 because of the code sensors, the film was finally released in 1950 and became a box office hit. Howard Hughes and Howard Hawks were directors of this movie although Howard Hawks never got credit for it. Jane Russell, Walter Houston, Thomas Mitchell, and Jack Buetel, where the main characters, Howard Hughes invented a special bra for Jane Russell for this movie, ironically she never wore it and Howard Hughes never noticed it, later that became the Playtex Bra Company, you know the one, "Cross Your Heart Bra"

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 AM

41,966 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I'm so old I remember when Jarts had sharp pointy ends on them. I also remember when my cousin Bill threw one slightly off target, and it lodged between my second and third toes.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,939,095 times
Lucky you! I presume "lodged between" means it was a near miss. But then there isn't a lot of space between toes. So Youch! (choose the one that applies!)

My wife tossed one onto someones brand new car. This did not make for pleasant conversation with its owner.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
When we were teenagers one of my friends waited until another one went up to a dartboard and threw a dart into his butt.

Then it was a terrible thing. In today's equivilance (No, it's not a word, and I don't care - it fits.) it would be akin to jumping on someones head while they laid it on a fluorescent tube (What is wrong with these people, other than being inbred?). Yes, it's on Youtube...

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
I remember PF Flyers and the secret decoder ring.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Madman comics, pop sickles, big buggie candy, school lunchboxes, and I remember the principle’s office.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Our phone was wood and hung on the wall. Our number was 26-4 and if we heard a long and 2 shorts...that was us. Any other rings were someone else. 4 shorts meant the fire department was trying to get word to the fireman who was on our line to tell him where the fire was. We would all pick up and listen to hear what was going on and our dads could decide if they needed to go help try to get things out of the burning barn or whatever. If we wanted to call someone who was not on our line, we had to hold the button on the side in while we turned the crank in order to get the operator to place the call. She lived in the house where the switchboard was. (Just a point of interest, that same subscriber owned phone company is still in business and was the first in the area to provide cable TV and Internet to their rural subscribers over their fiber network.)

Don't forget the record players with the switch by the turntable for 78, 45, and 33 1/3 RPM records.

I was in second grade when we put an indoor bathroom in the house. Before that, baths were in the kitchen on Saturday nights, and you didn't get to use the indoor "potty chair" unless it was really storming or you were sick. That's OK though, the 2 seater outhouse provided more privacy. (Us guys got to stand between the chicken coop and the outhouse)

The day we got our first TV, we were all watching it after school. When it was time to eat, Mom walked up to the TV, turned it off and said it was time to eat. The only time we got to eat in front of the TV was during the Rose Bowl Parade on New Years Day. No complaints from any of us.

We did have an electric motor on our well pump before the indoor plumbing so we didn't have to pump the handle to get our drinking water...until lightning hit the windmill tower and blew out the motor.

And in case any of you think I'm really old, I still have over 10 years to go before I qualify for Medicare.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:59 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Anyone else remember when you were traveling, your folks would get a key and go look at the room to make sure that it was ok before checking in?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
and I remember the principle’s office.
Oh, s**t..... whatever happened to our "Permanent Record"?! I kissed Bobby Armstrong on the school bus in elementary school and was paddled with a wooden paddle by the principal AND told that it would go on my PERMANENT RECORD.

RRtech- CE9-2428...my first phone number as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics