Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I was going to say, your place of work has really chitty administration. Just wait until that hospital gets sued. Are you guys Joint Commission certified?

There is a terrible nursing shortage and so many, many nurses are foreigners, especially Phillipino.
I'm not sure what you mean by Joint Commission certified.

Terrible nursing shortage? Really? I've never accepted that and never will.

Due to endless cutbacks, increased profits, when they increased the patient load at night to 40 patients per nurse, the Natives, smiled, and walked out the door. The legal immigrants will do anything for a buck, and I tell them straight to their faces they're being used, abused, taken advantage of.

There is no shortage of nurses, only shortage of nurses who are willing to risk their licenses and jobs by trying to take on a load of 40 patients a night.

Also, when one of these legals gets into a position of doing the hiring and firing, they're inclined to hire their own people, and pass up more qualified applicants. I've seen it going on for 8 years now, with the exception of a brief period where they hired a Native DON, and suddenly you saw more Natives being hired.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Thanks Chatteress.

I am interested in interning with different departments at my campus. I don't have a HUGE preference. It can be campus life, housing, admissions, or advising.

WELL the woman I spoke with today was worried about the cost to the university when I am not even interested in being paid. I just want to get some sort of experience in the student services field.

Another college in the state has a whole program devoted to helping undergraduate students learn about the student service field/higher education field. They set you up with a mentor and everything. They pay for you to attend different conferences in the region and prepare you for graduate school.

I am hoping I will have more luck in my senior year once I get to know more people on campus.

I am not completely discouraged, I just have to change my plans a little bit.
Sounds like the lady you spoke with might have assumed that you were looking for a job, concerned about the cost in terms of the time investment to allow you to intern (training, etc.) or perhaps liability issues as you are not interning as part of a specific academic program. In any case, I understand your frustration. Was this lady part of HR or did she actually oversee the entire student services area itself? I would recommend, if you haven't already done so, contacting those individuals who are actually in charge of the specific areas that you are interested in (advising, campus housing, campus life, admissions, as well as recruitment, career center, disabled student services). Also, you may want to try other colleges and/or universities in your local area to see if you could gain experience interning if your college does not offer this opportunity. When I was pursuing my graduate degree, I needed a 600 hour counseling internship. Since I, like you, wanted to work within higher education, I contacted several different colleges and universities to inquire about internship opportunities and eventually gained three valuable ones so be persistent.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sounds like the lady you spoke with might have assumed that you were looking for a job, concerned about the cost in terms of the time investment to allow you to intern (training, etc.) or perhaps liability issues as you are not interning as part of a specific academic program. In any case, I understand your frustration. Was this lady part of HR or did she actually oversee the entire student services area itself? I would recommend, if you haven't already done so, contacting those individuals who are actually in charge of the specific areas that you are interested in (advising, campus housing, campus life, admissions, as well as recruitment, career center, disabled student services). Also, you may want to try other colleges and/or universities in your local area to see if you could gain experience interning if your college does not offer this opportunity. When I was pursuing my graduate degree, I needed a 600 hour counseling internship. Since I, like you, wanted to work within higher education, I contacted several different colleges and universities to inquire about internship opportunities and eventually gained three valuable ones so be persistent.

Thank you Chatteress.
The woman I spoke with is over the Department of Campus Life.
I am pretty sure I contacted someone in Housing as to how one becomes an RA. I know they already have their RAs for the year but it would be nice to know the process for future reference.

My fear with trying other colleges is that they may not be so receptive to help me since I am not a student there.

My plan B is to just become very involved with student organizations and make my mark there.

In graduate school I will have an internship/assistanship and will gain experience then but I want to gain some experience now and be able to talk about it on my graduate school application.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by Joint Commission certified.

Terrible nursing shortage? Really? I've never accepted that and never will.

Due to endless cutbacks, increased profits, when they increased the patient load at night to 40 patients per nurse, the Natives, smiled, and walked out the door. The legal immigrants will do anything for a buck, and I tell them straight to their faces they're being used, abused, taken advantage of.

There is no shortage of nurses, only shortage of nurses who are willing to risk their licenses and jobs by trying to take on a load of 40 patients a night.

Also, when one of these legals gets into a position of doing the hiring and firing, they're inclined to hire their own people, and pass up more qualified applicants. I've seen it going on for 8 years now, with the exception of a brief period where they hired a Native DON, and suddenly you saw more Natives being hired.

JCAHO - Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
They put out patient safety and hospital standards for accreditation.

Definitely 40 patients/nurse is unacceptable, by all standards.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Wikipedia is unfair.

I like editing data on race and ethnicity for U.S. cities. I like to make bullet pointed lists to present the data. It's easier to read than a paragraph. Yet some people are now saying that my way of presenting the data (bullet point lists) is improper and enhances certain "problems". I have no idea what these effing problems are, and I don't see them. Also, someone said that it goes against Wikipedia's manual of style. Yeah, I really give a crap about their manual of style. I hate how some people present the stats on race/ethnicity. Some even put a bunch of bogus numbers in there. I think the demography sections are the least cared about in articles about American cities, and I'm improving them, but apparently my way of editing is wrong, so Wikipedia can go **** off.

Screw their rules. Screw their manual of style. Screw their unfairness.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM

McAfee anti virus is driving me BONKERS! I purchased a year subscription and downloaded the updated software and it seems that there is always issues with that thing! My main beef is that I would get at least once or twice a week a warning about my Security Center being disabled! This makes me nervous as this thing is supposed to be protecting my computer (isn't that what I PAID for with the subscription?) Also, the automatic update thing that occurs when I turn my computer on practically brings things to a standstill as it takes up so much of my computer's resources. I cannot STAND this thing ... I just wished that it would be unobtrusive and runs in the background but NO! Always want to remind me of it's psycho presence.! AAARRRGGGHHH!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
While enjoying a nice stroll on the beach this afternoon, I noticed some vulture, er, I mean some guy on the beach with a metal detector, he was busy scanning away on the sand looking for some poor souls lost wedding ring.

It is just me, or is doing that just plain tacky???

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Wikipedia is unfair.

I like editing data on race and ethnicity for U.S. cities. I like to make bullet pointed lists to present the data. It's easier to read than a paragraph. Yet some people are now saying that my way of presenting the data (bullet point lists) is improper and enhances certain "problems". I have no idea what these effing problems are, and I don't see them. Also, someone said that it goes against Wikipedia's manual of style. Yeah, I really give a crap about their manual of style. I hate how some people present the stats on race/ethnicity. Some even put a bunch of bogus numbers in there. I think the demography sections are the least cared about in articles about American cities, and I'm improving them, but apparently my way of editing is wrong, so Wikipedia can go **** off.

Screw their rules. Screw their manual of style. Screw their unfairness.
Exactly why the staff at the school system I worked at refused to accept any wiki data in student research papers or reports.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Exactly why the staff at the school system I worked at refused to accept any wiki data in student research papers or reports.
I think Wikipedia is more for entertainment purposes and the data should really be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
While enjoying a nice stroll on the beach this afternoon, I noticed some vulture, er, I mean some guy on the beach with a metal detector, he was busy scanning away on the sand looking for some poor souls lost wedding ring.

It is just me, or is doing that just plain tacky???
I'd say "profitable" Gold at over a $1,000 an ounce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics