Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 02:05 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
With family like that who needs enemies. Taking someones purse is serious business.........we women carry half our lives in there.
Very true. My sister was nice enough to just let it go, and she told us to not offer any of our bedrooms to them whenever they come over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 03:01 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Oh Boy can I relate to this one- I was reminded recently of a poor craftsperson.
Let my guard down by a trusted referral source
Got totally scorched
NO Recpt, write up estimate etc.

I took the shortcut to and now I have nothing to prove of the sloppy work
Lesson learned
Next time
get estimation in writing
get business card
ask them for references
ask what time they will be there
ask them if they will pick up the cell phone or screen calls
(get a cell and home number)
Also checking with the state Attorney General's office for complaints is a good idea. Running them on a free people search site to see if they have a criminal record might be smart too. And not giving any money up front. Some will ask for half, who's to say you will ever see them again. They do have a couple professional organizations that some belong to, but then again who's to say that makes much difference. As far as references, seeing the work that was done is better than a letter or list of names. There are just so many ways they can lie and cheat. I've asked for referrals from realtors before, but unless you are sure of the person giving you the names, ya still never know for sure. It makes my head hurt to have to deal with finding someone again, but I have no choice.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
On their business card, there should be an identification number (business), you should also check the appropriate sources to see if that person has an infractions or has lost their business license. In fact, it will even tell you if that person really "owns" that number. I know a guy who was using his nephew's number, did some illegal crap and got fined. Imagine the nephew's surprise when he was contacted in regard to a pending lawsuit!!
I appreciate the advice however the source was from a trusted repair person I have used for years.

Just a tough lesson cost me some money and sub par job at best.

Sometimes it pays to spend the extra dollar and go with a reputable contractor.
vs. a shoddy craftsman.

Lesson learned and it wont happen again.
Next time no more mr. nice guy but mr. do not screw me will come out in full force.

Guess being a nice guy and care free really doesnt pay after all
as when i am a jerk the job gets done.

Then I paid the guy when the work was not complete.
I really have nothing to hang my hat on with this case, its just a lost cause.
The only justification i got was throwing his stupid contractors had he left here in the garbage!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
This entire weekend has been shot to hell!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I appreciate the advice however the source was from a trusted repair person I have used for years.

Just a tough lesson cost me some money and sub par job at best.

Sometimes it pays to spend the extra dollar and go with a reputable contractor.
vs. a shoddy craftsman.

Lesson learned and it wont happen again.
Next time no more mr. nice guy but mr. do not screw me will come out in full force.

Guess being a nice guy and care free really doesnt pay after all
as when i am a jerk the job gets done.

Then I paid the guy when the work was not complete.
I really have nothing to hang my hat on with this case, its just a lost cause.
The only justification i got was throwing his stupid contractors had he left here in the garbage!
That's even WORSE! Wow, knowing and trusting the guy, then paying him, trusting him to finish the job and left hanging? Yeah, I'm the same way, screw me once and we're done. I'm a bit of a "perfectionist", and have been privy to way to many stories just like yours...not to mention having family in the construction business, some who are not at all trustworthy, I learned how to do it myself, do it right and save a massive amount of money. Therefore, I do it myself as finances allow.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Ain't gonna lie...Teenagers these days are annoying. So different from how it used to be.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Ain't gonna lie...Teenagers these days are annoying. So different from how it used to be.
LOL! I've always been annoyed by teenagers ... Even when I was one! LOL!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
LOL! I've always been annoyed by teenagers ... Even when I was one! LOL!
Ha! I thought I was annoying but at the same time I was better than most. Never got into trouble or anything.

I'm reading books about Youth, and it helps me to show compassion but I don't know if I can tolerate how they think these days. I rather take 10 kids over 5 annoying teenagers. I feel like kids can behave better.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Hold it together woman you have the sinister Thursday to help you out.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Need help picking out the bird shot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics