Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
So tomorrow, there is going to be a mass for my husband's cousin who died last year from injuries sustained from a motorcycle accident. Her mother is my husband's only remaining aunt (the last of her generation). We figured we should go-not because of his cousin but to be there for his aunt. I have two issues-1. I am not Catholic and never have been. My husband is a recovering Catholic and I am a recovering Catholic-lite (AKA Episcopal). 2. It is going to be in Spanish and I don't speak a word of Spanish-well, actually I do speak a couple of words-Pina Colada por favor-followed by Donde esta el bano. Somehow I sincerely doubt those words will come up in tomorrow's mass. A couple of weeks ago, I bought myself a new toy-an Amazon Fire that I have been playing games on. It would probably be too rude to play during the mass.

My sister told me to tell her if the church burns down after I enter it.

Cat
Well I know more Spanish than you do because I can ask for cerveza.

Don't worry about the fire. Our Episcopal deacon had a memorial service for her mother and her Wiccan best friend came to our church basement to wait for the food delivery afterward. Nothing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well I know more Spanish than you do because I can ask for cerveza.

Don't worry about the fire. Our Episcopal deacon had a memorial service for her mother and her Wiccan best friend came to our church basement to wait for the food delivery afterward. Nothing happened.

The service was pretty much like the Catholic-lite. The only thing was the language and the hymns had a Caribbean beat to them. But, man did that priest go on and on and on. Towards the end of the service when he was supposed to give the announcements, he actually went into another sermon. (Well, I was told by my SIL who speaks fluent.) It lasted TWO HOURS!!!! Even my SIL said that she has never seen a two hour service. I have-my mother's memorial service. Yup, that was Catholic-lite.

Cat

Old 01-25-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
The service was pretty much like the Catholic-lite. The only thing was the language and the hymns had a Caribbean beat to them. But, man did that priest go on and on and on. Towards the end of the service when he was supposed to give the announcements, he actually went into another sermon. (Well, I was told by my SIL who speaks fluent.) It lasted TWO HOURS!!!! Even my SIL said that she has never seen a two hour service. I have-my mother's memorial service. Yup, that was Catholic-lite.

Cat
I couldn't sit through that.

My Catholic-Lite priest does five-minute sermons, and no matter how they start, they are always the same: Love God and love your neighbor, and you show you love God by loving your neighbor, helping those in need, standing up for those who are on the fringes of society, working for social justice, etc. The End.

Then we re-enact a first-century execution by having a dry wafer and a sip of wine because we are people who need our rituals, dammit, followed by coffee and whatnot. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I couldn't sit through that.

My Catholic-Lite priest does five-minute sermons, and no matter how they start, they are always the same: Love God and love your neighbor, and you show you love God by loving your neighbor, helping those in need, standing up for those who are on the fringes of society, working for social justice, etc. The End.

Then we re-enact a first-century execution by having a dry wafer and a sip of wine because we are people who need our rituals, dammit, followed by coffee and whatnot. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.
My Mom used to get so mad at me when I was a kid cause I would grab several crackers and 2 or 3 juices like a meal.
''Wait till we get home, your father will deal with you.''

If a little is good, why not a lot?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
My Mom used to get so mad at me when I was a kid cause I would grab several crackers and 2 or 3 juices like a meal.
''Wait till we get home, your father will deal with you.''

If a little is good, why not a lot?
Yeah, they always want the chalice back before I have finished the wine!

Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Default How Cold...?

My outdoor thermometer bottomed out last night at -40.

This morning it's all the way up to -23F but I awoke to find my hot water pipes are frozen for the first time since I moved here. Fortunately, the cold ones are ok so I can make coffee.

Walking on the wooden deck makes for loud cracks and pops, like the wood is going to snap. And the snow squeaks with every step. During the night I could hear the occasional cracking tree limb.

I do believe last night was the coldest I've ever experienced in my 64 years on the planet.

Kewl.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Gee, Trout. I got cold just reading that.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
We're up to a balmy -4F and my pipes thawed about 10 minutes ago.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My outdoor thermometer bottomed out last night at -40.

This morning it's all the way up to -23F but I awoke to find my hot water pipes are frozen for the first time since I moved here. Fortunately, the cold ones are ok so I can make coffee.

Walking on the wooden deck makes for loud cracks and pops, like the wood is going to snap. And the snow squeaks with every step. During the night I could hear the occasional cracking tree limb.

I do believe last night was the coldest I've ever experienced in my 64 years on the planet.

Kewl.
I've been in -40 several times before; it's very common in Saskatchewan, and we make a trip over there every year or so to see family.

We even manage (occasionally) to get outside when it warms to tolerable levels.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:49 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I hate to say that where I am, today we did some walking and almost got heat stroke. We will probably go to the beach on Tuesday.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism