Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times

Advertisements

I'd like that at home sometimes. I have a sneaky 3 yr old. My husband would cut the squeaker out within about 5 minutes of hearing the shoes. I can't imagine subjecting the general public to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Has anyone seen - well really HEARD - toddler shoes that squeak when they walk? I'm not talking a small sound but a loud, loud squeak.
I've seen these. Cute for a minutes, then annoying.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Thankfully she just had a hand basket and was just getting a couple of things, otherwise I might have had to go backwards from my normal route. I couldn't have listened to it the whole time I was shopping.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
But if Julia was unschooled she wouldn't even know about unschooling because it would have never been a natural interest of hers.
Not necessarily. Learning-- particularly unstructured learning, whether done round the clock by an unschooled kid or after three and on weekends by a formally schooled one-- often leads from one thing to the next. My son was fascinated by World War II, specifically battles and weapons systems. This led to the social history of the era, to learning more about the 1940s Soviet Union, to the KGB and MI-5 and CIA (and picked up European geography and a bit of trivia about the meteorite that fell in Siberia years ago). I'm pretty sure the Eastern Bloc countries weren't even on his radar a year ago, and I know that meteorite wasn't.

Basically, self-led learning is kind of like thread drift, only productive.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Has anyone seen - well really HEARD - toddler shoes that squeak when they walk? I'm not talking a small sound but a loud, loud squeak.

I was at the grocery store this afternoon and while shopping in the produce section I hear what I thought was a dog toy squeaking. I look around trying to figure out what the????

There was a toddler with shoes on that squeaked with every step. I can't tell you how many heads were turning, and one lady walked past me and said, "I could no way put up with that!". It drove me nuts for the 10 minutes they were wondering around. The mother must have been able to completely tune it out.

Can't imagine why they would make a shoe like that, and why someone would buy it, but apparently they did and they do!

The only benefit I could think of while listening to her walk around was, well, I guess she won't lose "sound" of her child.....

Anyone who bought my three year old those shoes would have to die. Painfully and slowly.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Basically, self-led learning is kind of like thread drift, only productive.
LOL ... good analogy.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Thankfully she just had a hand basket and was just getting a couple of things, otherwise I might have had to go backwards from my normal route. I couldn't have listened to it the whole time I was shopping.
I have a "normal route" too. If I'm forced to change it I can't find a thing. Aisle dyslexia.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Default Legos

How do you store Legos? We have several sets with specific parts to build star wars ships, or whatever. Do you throw them all together in one bin, or do you attempt to keep the pieces separate? They are driving me nuts!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:16 PM

At one point we kept the sets in ziplock bags with the instructions. After awhile - big bins under the bed. Because in the end, he was always just creating his own thing anyway. That is one of the few toys we've kept - bins of Legos and his big Tonka trucks (I think they are made out of plastic now, not sure. Back when we got his, they were still the metal ones).

Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

So, not to make those of you who still have the teen driver to look forward to, to dread it even more...but I'm wondering at what point you stop having a heart attack every time they call from their cell and you know they are on their way to some where. When they are out of the house? Never? lol!

My son called this morning, no more than a minute after he left. He wasn't out of the neighborhood yet, thank goodness, all the lug nuts came off his tire!

About a month ago he called and said "mom, you need to call the school, I hit a train." Now I realize logically that if that were literally the case, he wouldn't be calling most likely... but still. Talk about a heart attack. When he realized what I thought, HE thought it was funny. What he should have said was, "mom, you need to call the school to excuse me - I'm going to be tardy since I've been delayed by a train."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting