Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM

803 posts, read 1,265,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you had lived in LA or NYC or DC, you would know that there are a lot of Asians living at or under the poverty level in this country.

If your main experience has been in suburbia, you could definitely be under the false impression that Asians are rich, like by default or something.
The Asians who mainly live in poverty in those areas are mainly Cambodians and Southeast Asians.

South Asians and East Asians? Not so much.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
The Asians who mainly live in poverty in those areas are mainly Cambodians and Southeast Asians.

South Asians and East Asians? Not so much.
Next time you are in NYC come to Chinatown.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Agreed! And Koreatown, too, for that matter....it's a little nicer than Chinatown, but I wouldn't call it the "middle class dream" either.

The Koreatown in Dallas is the same- kind of hood, definitely not middle class/ upper class.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Asians, WASPs, and Indians have people that live in poverty, generally those are not the kind of Asians who end up going to Princeton and Stanford.

Thing is, Asians are much less likely to suffer from the same poverty that Blacks and Latinos suffer from, most Asians in the US are rich, that is fact, personal experiences can vary but statistics have said Asian families on average make the most money.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM

645 posts, read 988,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Agreed! And Koreatown, too, for that matter....it's a little nicer than Chinatown, but I wouldn't call it the "middle class dream" either.

The Koreatown in Dallas is the same- kind of hood, definitely not middle class/ upper class.

Hi Creek - Y'all do realize that them Koreans who open up shop on Harry Hines go home to roost in Carrollton, Plano and Frisco, right?

Similar to LA - the Koreans would open up shop in South Central - dressed in Goodwill clothing - then hop into their Mercedes' back home to Palos Verdes.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
Asians, WASPs, and Indians have people that live in poverty, generally those are not the kind of Asians who end up going to Princeton and Stanford.

Thing is, Asians are much less likely to suffer from the same poverty that Blacks and Latinos suffer from, most Asians in the US are rich, that is fact, personal experiences can vary but statistics have said Asian families on average make the most money.
this will be the last time I chime in and then I am done. there are specialized schools in nyc such as stuyvesant high school, bronx science and brooklyn tech. the majority of the students who attend are asian. the majority of those asians are eligible for free lunch. the majority of the graduates go on to great colleges and universities. that is the whole point. get a phenomenal education, work like your life depends on it and get into a good college so that you can get a great career so that you can take care of your hard working, but very poor families.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
this will be the last time I chime in and then I am done. there are specialized schools in nyc such as stuyvesant high school, bronx science and brooklyn tech. the majority of the students who attend are asian. the majority of those asians are eligible for free lunch. the majority of the graduates go on to great colleges and universities. that is the whole point. get a phenomenal education, work like your life depends on it and get into a good college so that you can get a great career so that you can take care of your hard working, but very poor families.
That part is pretty hard to believe. I have went to a magnet school and I promise you most of the kids who go there are not poor, a lot of them come from out of the zoned district.

Anyways if you say so then let that be the case for NYC but generally Asian families are more privileged (financially) than families of other ethnic groups. As a result a lot of Asians can afford to send their kids to schools in better districts.

I went to a school in an underprivileged district and honestly, that limited A LOT of my Asian friends from getting into the top schools. The environment matters, you can be as strict as you like but if you are raising your kids in a slum, then most of the time they will not be Harvard material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Hi Creek - Y'all do realize that them Koreans who open up shop on Harry Hines go home to roost in Carrollton, Plano and Frisco, right?

Similar to LA - the Koreans would open up shop in South Central - dressed in Goodwill clothing - then hop into their Mercedes' back home to Palos Verdes.
Don't know if serious but a friend of mines had a family which ran a restaurant. Restaurant was well off and he lived in a pretty good area of the town, he ended up being listed as underprivileged for college and was able to get a full ride to a well ranked public university.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I attended a very underprivileged district, and it did not stop the Asians from going to the top schools. Why? The Asians tended to work much harder than others. We had a student go to West Point. We had students go to other top colleges. Most of those students were poor Asians. However, they were mostly South East Asian, as they were mostly Vietnamese. That's still Asian, though. We also had plenty of poor Koreans in the school district, but they lived in a different area of the city than I did and went to different schools.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I attended a very underprivileged district, and it did not stop the Asians from going to the top schools. Why? The Asians tended to work much harder than others. We had a student go to West Point. We had students go to other top colleges. Most of those students were poor Asians. However, they were mostly South East Asian, as they were mostly Vietnamese. That's still Asian, though. We also had plenty of poor Koreans in the school district, but they lived in a different area of the city than I did and went to different schools.
I have a friend who lives in the poor district of San Jose, he says it is extremely common to see Asian gangs and mainly Asian people are the ones who do the gangbanging there.

Heck I attended a school in an underprivileged district, in the deep south (the poorest region next to Appalachia) and we had Black kids go to places like Emory and poor Whites go to places like Georgetown but they were few far and inbetween.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 AM

550 posts, read 1,356,098 times
As someone said earlier in this thread, most of the cases we hear about overly strict Asian parents are mostly East Asians and probably South Asians (Indians).

Those countries (Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, and India) have done well for themselves in the world compared to the southeast Asian countries (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, and The Philippines) that are still third-world countries.

I'm southeast asian and most of the southeast asians I know are poor-lower middle class. Most of my friends are first-generation Asian Americans with parents that barely had a high school education. It doesn't help that you see more teen and early 20's pregnancy amongst southeast Asians. Some of the parents never get a chance to pursue their dreams because of parenthood.

I did have strict family and that was probably due to my parents farming lifestyle. Hard work was ingrained in me. It was either work hard or have your work taken from you by someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting