Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The majority in Europe and Latin America do not. In the mid-east and central asia, nearly all males are circumcised, however it is for religious purposes and any reports that exclude religious reasons, would claim that that these demographics do not circumcise. And that would be accurate. Nearly all of asians and mid-easterners who *lack* religious reasons for doing so, do not do so. However, that percentage is very small.
In 2006 is was 56.1% for all regions. The West was the least and North Central has the most.

With the findings that I would be potentially protecting girls from possibly contracting HPV (and the development of Cancer), I am glad we had it done.

Human Papillomaviruses and Cancer - National Cancer Institute

Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,677,336 times
its a choice everyone makes that is best for THEM. no need to say one way is better than the other.

My hubby is japanese, and circumcisions are not the norm. we did not circumsize. its not a big deal. if he wants to do so later, he can. The choice, as it should be, will be his when he is an adult.

we all do what we feel is best, and i think far too often, people get judgmental, when all we ALL want, is whats best for our kids. And for each family, and each parent, and each child... that is different.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
I understand that the numbers are only like 50% of babies getting circ'ed these days in the US, even though most adult men are. I only have girls, but if I had boys I wouldn't do it. When I was pregnant with my first and my husband and I discussed it, he was kinda on the fence about it, and then we didn't have to worry about it because we had a girl. Since then, two of his closest friends (both themselves circ'ed) have had boys and did not have them circ'ed. So now my husband sees that as more normal, and agrees with me that we would not have our (potential, future) son circ'ed either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There is actually a small, but growing, group within the Jewish community who do not circumcise.
Just last month or so I went to a briss for a close friends' son (one of those mentioned above). He was not circ'ed. The bris was a naming ceremony and introduced him to the Torah, just like when the ceremony is done for a girl. Granted, it was a reform Jewish congregation. But I asked the Rabbi about it afterward, who said that this kind is the best kind of briss because the baby doesn't scream! She also said that it is becoming more and more common these days for her to do a briss without the circ. She said that while she would have her own son circ'ed, she did not see a religious compulsion for it for others and is totally fine with it when parents don't want to circ these days. She did not make it out to be a fringe group or anything, just a growing trend, at least among reform Jews. I'm sure that conservative or orthodox Jews would circ. I was particularly interested because I am Jewish myself by inheritance/culture, though not by religious belief.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're bringing your son up Jewish, there is no argument. It gets done, period.
"It won't be long now, Mrs. Rabinowitz", said the mohel. And he was right!

FWIW, I had one when I was about a week old and they tell me that I didn't walk for over a year!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
My husband has said that our sons will have circumcisions. He didn't have one as a baby, but his sisters decided he needed to get it done. So, he had one when he was about eight. He says it did hurt a lot, but he is glad he had it done.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Yes. Why?

I just found it interesting that with the release of the study that it helps prevent girls from catching hpv from their partners, and the fact that you have a daughter yourself, that you would still be against circumcision for your son.

Even though you just read a study that found it would help prevent him from spreading a disease that causes cervical cancer to his girlfriend/wife. And that by you having a daughter, if her partner is circumcized it would lessen her potential to catch hpv and possibly develop cervical cancer.

But you are still against circumcision.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
For those who say they don't know anyone who's intact, how do you know? (Just wondering, because I don't know any men willing to discuss their penises so openly. )

Because I "got around", nothing beats firsthand knowledge. Only ran across 1 who was uncut and was grossed out enough to not go there again. It is something I asked about before we "went there" after that.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times
Study schumdy, is what I say. Wonder how people ever made decisions in life without all of these studies (which coincidently the study just happens to also be on the same opinion of the person conducting the study)

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Because I "got around", nothing beats firsthand knowledge. Only ran across 1 who was uncut and was grossed out enough to not go there again. It is something I asked about before we "went there" after that.
I didn't want to be the one to say it and I really didn't want to offend anyone, but a whole lotta this right here.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
You know we're all adults here, I've got to say the who eeww thing is quite silly. If that's the reason some of you elected to circ your kids then......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.