Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times

Advertisements

Happy 4th everyone....

Hope you feel better Hopes...

rkb - yep lots of fireworks here too last night. Luckily, it doesn't bother Macie in the least. She might have made a good hunting dog....(actually, her father does have field titles).

Hot here. Haven't decided what to do today yet.....

Interesting discussion you all had about vacations....to some extent I agree that visiting a variety of places is preferable....Here's the thing though. Do you ever get to do it? DS just returned from a few days on a lake with a friends family (I thought it was in the mtn's but it wasn't)....They have a big travel trailer that they keep on a lake with some other families. He said these same families are there every year and all know each other. They all have boats and the assorted toys that go with boats. He had no technology the whole time and loved it. Had a great time. Said they went boating, they pitched a tent on the beach one night, had lots of good food (peach cobbler cooked in a dutch oven), campfires, played cards every night. He had a ball. I got to thinking how nice it would be to have been able to have that simple continuity when they were growing up - of spending weekends somewhere reasonably close but yet.."away"....and just enjoying that family time. At home, there is always something to be done, somewhere to go etc. I'd love to be able to have that at some point, even for grandkids. Our family's both have people with lake homes but no one who lives nearby enough for us to have taken advantage.....Something to think about.

One of the funny stories he told when he returned was that they were listening to the radio while they'd all play cards (adults and kids all)....the radio was on a "classic rock" station and the adults started quizzing each other about the music that came on -who the band was, who the lead singer was etc etc...Guess who "won"? DS. They couldn't believe he was so familiar with 70s music (some 60's and some 80s thrown in too)....LOL...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Good job MM's son!

I've spent the morning being frustrated. Trying to adjust a shelf in the kitchen cabinets. It doesn't just pop up. There are two U-shaped clips in front holding the shelf in place. I cannot figure out how to get them to release. The clips aren't screwed in. I've checked ehow and gotten no where.

I hate being frustrated especially over something like this. Aaargh.

Edit to add: DH has been out and he just called. Would I like it if he picked some In-n-Out Burger for lunch?

Hehehehe... Silly boy.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Edit to add: DH has been out and he just called. Would I like it if he picked some In-n-Out Burger for lunch?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
So I decided to see if I could do the American flag on nails. Then for some reason, I decided that putting it on a squirmy 6 year old's nails. I think that they turned out ok considering.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM

Very nice, Nummy! Great job.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Hopes, take it easy!

MM - yes, we do get to. In the past few years we've been to Great Sand Dunes, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP, Arches NP, Canyon Lands, San Juan Mts (Durango/Ouray), Capitol Reef, NP, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, San Diego, Disneyland, Rocky Mt NP, Breckenridge...

On our to do list is Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, Dinosaur Nat monument, Yosemite, San Francisco, Disney World, Disney Cruise. We're headed to Crested Butte/Gunnison in a couple weeks, and Moab, UT in the fall.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
hey all - just checking in really quick. We spent our morning doing errands. We are hosting a bbq tonight. Hosting, but not my party. Our friends just have a horrible back yard and I volunteered. We also wanted to go get the Rescue stuff that is supposed to calm dogs....no where to be found and the one place wasn't open.

It is going to be a hard night on Briget. And the rest of us. She is already pacing, panting, etc. Lots of illegal fireworks here and the city's display is right by the house. So that doesn't help.

Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful evening!

Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Happy Independence Day-- and to the Canadians, Australians, etc amongst us, Happy Monday. Or Tuesday. (Hoping I covered the bases...)
The ballfield near us has had fireworks every night for the last three. I'm kind of fireworksed out, at this point, and am very grateful I have a blase cat instead of an anxious puppydog.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times

YouTube - ‪Jimi Hendrix - Star Spangled Banner(480p) (Woodstock '69)‬‏

Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Thanks, Zimbo. Take it from Grannypants: When Jimi played it that way it was revolutionary. My gosh, people got upset. I think I'll turn my speakers way up and use it to call DH in for supper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting