Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, I used to read all the time, but now I just read when I go to bed and I can't stay awake very long.

Not to mention, I think having the internet has put a squash on it somewhat. It's kind of interactive reading. I mean, after all, you can give your worldly opinion on stuff, and who doesn't love that.
I agree...sometimes I just have to force myself to not come on here and sit down and read. That is a nice thing about my Nook....since it has browsing capability (but is actually kind of a pain to use to post) I can read a chapter or two, take a little break and peak in here or there, and go back to reading. If I am really enthralled with a book though, I neglect everything else so I have to be careful. "What, you're hungry? Have some cereal (bad mom)? We're out of milk? Don't we have any cheese and crackers somewhere?" LOL that tends to be why I had to be careful reading when the kids where younger/living here!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Ick - just taking a break from errands and weeding. Hot and muggy here already. I think the rest of my day will be on inside chores. At least until it cools off later this evening.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Moning all. MM I hope it cools off for you. I hate sticky.

DS and a friend came in yesterday. The horse quarantine was lifted and they brought a horse in from CA to another friend's house. This morning all the men folk are out doing their horse-thang. Whoops. Here they come.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hi mm! Nice to see you off work.

I'm figuring I have, oh, approximately 14 years to go before I can read a book in peace.
Probably not that long more like 5. I joined a book club about a year ago. I'm a little embarassed to admit that it what Twilight that got me into reading again. Right now I'm between book. I'm thinking either olive Kitteridge or the Red Tent is next. I also have to fit in The out of Sync Child and the Mislabeled Child.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Probably not that long more like 5. I joined a book club about a year ago. I'm a little embarassed to admit that it what Twilight that got me into reading again. Right now I'm between book. I'm thinking either olive Kitteridge or the Red Tent is next. I also have to fit in The out of Sync Child and the Mislabeled Child.
So how do you guys with book clubs find them? I belonged to one years ago, and would like to join another, but most are too well established and not interested in finding new people.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
So how do you guys with book clubs find them? I belonged to one years ago, and would like to join another, but most are too well established and not interested in finding new people.
mine started within my MOMS Club. There is another within MOPS, but I'm not in that one. I guess they both started with a member of the club wanting to start a club and having a group of moms already acquainted to get it going. The both have allowed people outside the club to join.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
I love to read. Getting a lot more time now than I did a few years ago, but still with work and a family it is hard to find time sometimes. DH has learned though that if I get a new book, that means I am in the mood to read and won't be available until the book is finished. lol

I am leaving for a business trip on Wed and bought a couple of books for the plane and my down time. One looks really interesting. It is called Room Amazon.com: Room: A Novel (9780316098328): Emma Donoghue: Books. I read a couple of chapters to see if it was good enough to keep me entertained long enough to fly across the country. So far it looks like it is about a woman and a child. The child is 5 and he has lived his entire life in the room with his mom. It is kind of a Jaycee Dugard situation written from the little boy's perspective. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
I just had a crazy thought. We could start our own book club. Who says we have to be in the same room for it to work?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:06 PM

I read Room. I liked it, but it isn't the kind of thing I'd normally pick.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Just returned from running to the mall with DS. That doesn't happen very often! He needed some jeans and shoes and I needed a few things. Usually, he hates doing stuff like that - we are in and out of someplace in about 15 min with him rolling his eyes if I ask him to try something on before I buy it. This was actually pleasant today. We even had lunch! I love having that one on one time....I take it however and whenever I can get it!

Aconite - my bookclub started with some moms I met in preschool. Many of us had just moved to the area and got to talking and someone just took the initiative and started it. It took us awhile to get in the groove - deciding on types of books, how to divide up hosting and discussion leading how best to arrange meetings, frequency of meetings etc....probably about a year or so...We stayed together for at least 10 years. People drifted in and out over the course of time but there were probably about 5-8 of us who were the "core".....I really did find it enjoyable when my kids were young. Often times I could only read when they were napping or before I went to bed. The bookclub is what forced me to keep reading when it would have been easier to do something else. Once we went and had a bookclub meeting at our local independent bookstore (The Tattered Cover) and had their buyer give a talk. She was actually kind of a literary snob. We did typically read more literary books (our base was pretty well educated, professional and opinionated women including a librarian, a judge a high-level corporate manager for a well known company etc - not all were currently working) but she actually said something to the effect of "the goal should be to never waste your time on John Grisham and the like again"...well...sorry, that's not really my goal. I like a good page turner from time to time as much as anyone. My goal is a balance. We also had an author who happened to be very local to our bookclub, come and discuss her book with us. She was very nice and signed all of our books...(Amazon.com: The Magic of Ordinary Days (9780142000908): Ann Howard Creel: Books).

rkb - funny you should mention The Red Tent..I was just going through some of my books to see what I wanted to take to the used book store for trade credit...I saw that book and couldn't decide. I decided against it (although I personally didn't really like it all that much)....anyway - if you don't have it, you are welcome to it.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-09-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting