Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times

Advertisements

It is after 8pm and I am still in my PJs from last night. I haven't done that in years. It is nice to occasionally have one of those days though. Although, now that it is getting dark, I am thinking about all of the stuff that I need to do before DH and I go on our trip this week. I guess I should at least figure out if we have suitcases.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
It is after 8pm and I am still in my PJs from last night. I haven't done that in years. It is nice to occasionally have one of those days though. Although, now that it is getting dark, I am thinking about all of the stuff that I need to do before DH and I go on our trip this week. I guess I should at least figure out if we have suitcases.
Did I miss that? You are going on a trip? Where are you going? Is DD going with you?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Putting hand up re travelling in Italy, Coop! Farm in Tuscany, and cooking classes sounds wonderful!

I'm against taking organised tours - not that I've done any in Italy, but have in other parts of Europe. The problem with tours is that you're on and off the bus all darn day and you'll find some sights you want to stay longer at (but back on the bus please) and some sights that you have no real interest in and you're stuck there waiting to get back on the bus! Plus you won't come across those fascinating, quirky little places that the bus tours drive past. Get a Lonely Planet guide to Italy (or some such equivalent) and read up, so that you know what you do and don't want to see in each city/town.

Having a car in the cities will be a millstone round your neck. Drivers are crazy, parking is next to impossible. It's really easy to get from A to B by train. They are clean and amazingly reliable for Italy! The train stations are usually right in the centre of the city, so it's easy to find a hotel that's close by.

I prefer Venice to Milan by a country mile. It is crowded and touristy, but marvellous just the same. What time of year are you going? Venice can be too crowded (and often smelly) in July and August. Florence and Rome are must sees too. Rome-Florence-Venice are easily connected by train.

Tell us more about your family's interests re Italy. I love planning trips!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
I've always thought if I won the lottery and could travel, I'd love to have a personal tour guide. I hate tour buses but would love for someone knowledgable to teach me about what I'm seeing - and not just the same old spiel....the back stories. I want the good stuff. The history, the drama, the scandals!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Did someone say Italy?

Heavy sigh.

Venice. A year living in Venice. That's what I want before I die.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Howdy! Just popping in. How is everyone?

Coop - Italy! Wonderbar! I'm very jealous as I've been many other places in Europe but not Italy.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
I have the house to myself right now so I'm enjoying a glass of wine, some 80's music and the couch. It's quite nice

Coop- Italy is wonderful. Go and you're sure to have an awesome time... so jealous! I went about 15 years ago and I've been itching to get back ever since... so much to see and do...

Old 07-09-2011, 09:15 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
You guys are great! And thank you so much Kobber for your insites! We are thinking car from Rome (AFTER we've seen Rome!) to the farm then up to Florence then trains after that. We want to be flexible though if there is something we want to see, so we are still deciding.

mm - you are right. I sat down with DS tonight. He liked the farm thing. He does like cooking and the organic farm is right up his alley. The other thing I have been told is a not to miss by DH and DS is Modena because of the Lamborghini museum. I'm okay with that, since I have a thing for balsamic vinegar. So we might keep the car longer.

I can tell DS is getting excited. He's never been to Europe and this will be a big trip. The last we'll take him on before he's out on his own. So really, it's up to him. But he really liked the route I was showing him.

Anyone with more ideas - keep them coming. I'll take any advice I can get.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Did I miss that? You are going on a trip? Where are you going? Is DD going with you?
It is actually a business trip. DH was out of work for 2 years, but I was able to get him a job at my company. After he was hired, my boss (the owner) decided that I would be the best boss for him so I am not only his boss at home, but at work too. lol. It works for us. We met at work and have worked at 3 other companies together.

Anyways, they needed to send a man and a woman with our other boss (husband & wife company) on this 2 week trip. They thought it was a great idea to send both of us because we can share a room and they don't have to worry about the man and woman team not being able to work together well. Since it is in the summer, DD is going to my mom's house. My grandma is coming across the state to stay with my mom to help watch DD if my mom has to work. Both of my sisters (and my neices & nephews) are also fighting for some time with DD and so is my MIL. Sine we all live within 10 miles of each other, DD is just going to hop from house to house so everyone gets to spend some time with her. It also gets DD out of day care for a couple of weeks so she is actually kind of getting a summer break.

It is a lot of work while we are gone, but we will have 2-3 days of play time too. Ironically enough, one of the cities we are going to is just an hour away from the town DH grew up in, so our boss is planning some time in that town for our time off. It should be fun. Plus, I am excited for a break from this weather. It is nice to get a break from FL's hot & humid.

I have not travelled much. This will be my thrid trip on a plane and I am going to opposite corners of the country, so that should be interesting. A year ago, the farthest I had ever been from home was Atlanta (business trip too). In October I went to NJ & NYC (LOVED it). Now I get to go to Portland & Seattle. Very excited about that. Unfortunately, DH has to go out a couple of days before me and come back a couple of days later so we won't fly together.

Sorry about the long post. The more I think about it, the more excited I get.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Num - sounds like a fun trip! They are both beautiful cities. Where are you staying in Seattle, downtown, or the Eastside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.