Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
num1baby, you definite win.

(I had no idea we were sharing the worst ever stories. That's what I get for not checking past pages I've missed. My story is so boring! LOL)

But I want to say, the following is super super sweet:

That's when you know you've found a good man. My hubby is a similar gentle soul.
mine too. He came over with flowers and beer when my BF and I broke up.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Morning all..

Wow those are some crazy/great stories.

Dew - yes, MrFR is kinda an OC boy, it's where his parents settled after Dad retired from the Navy. Cypress, actually. More toward the end of his school life. Dad used to play golf and see Tiger practicing when he was a little dude.

I love Vons. They have great meat specials. You can get a four pack of thick NY strip steaks, that have been reduced from 36 bucks to 17 with a card, and are in the clearance bin for 50% off - so you get them for around 8 bucks, about 2 dollars per steak. I am a voracious meat clearance shopper. . And they often have 5 dollar rotisserie chickens on fri.

When we moved, I went to every supermarket in the greater Philadelphia area searching for the same kind of thing - and it turns out that they have exactly the same store - but it's called Genuardis. So I've gone back to going there. Either that or Costco. But I've started not liking the Costco beef as much, even though it's better graded. I find it a bit tasteless. And way more expensive than the meat sales at Vons. Which is actually Safeway, so I guess they have stores everywhere, just under different names.

I don't buy any produce at the supermarket at all. I used to go to the farmer's market at Ivar and Selma in Hollywood every Sunday - have you ever been to that one, Dew? It's heaven. There are some good farmer's markets here, and this place called Produce Junction, which has ridiculously bountiful fruits and stuff, but it's a bit of a crap shoot. You buy a bag of 10 apples for 2 bucks, but you can't really check em out first, but they're so cheap it doesn't matter if you get the occasional dud bag.

OK, not sure why I felt compelled to write an essay on my food shopping habits. . Obviously I need a project.

Hope everyone's having a glorius day.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Morning all. Cannot get it in gear this morning.

Yes, Fin, I used to go to the Hollywood FM. Also the one in Barnsdall Park. My favorite was always the original. The one next to CBS. (Plus from there we could go to lunch at Cantor's.) I also frequented a few in O.C. Did you ever go to the swap meet at the O.C. Fairgrounds? I could get my veggies, DH and sons could get car parts or whatever. It's been there forever. One stop shopping.

There's one at UCI that my sister loves, but they are way overpriced. Plus the vendors tend to pick out the produce for you. (I think because all the housewives around there don't know squat about farming.) I like to eyeball and sniff my own.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Morning all. Cannot get it in gear this morning.

Yes, Fin, I used to go to the Hollywood FM. Also the one in Barnsdall Park. My favorite was always the original. The one next to CBS. (Plus from there we could go to lunch at Cantor's.) I also frequented a few in O.C. Did you ever go to the swap meet at the O.C. Fairgrounds? I could get my veggies, DH and sons could get car parts or whatever. It's been there forever. One stop shopping.

There's one at UCI that my sister loves, but they are way overpriced. Plus the vendors tend to pick out the produce for you. (I think because all the housewives around there don't know squat about farming.) I like to eyeball and sniff my own.
I like to sniff my own too. I only went to the OC swap meet once, but MIL would find any excuse. We have bags and bags of socks that she got there for MrFR.

Yeah, I used to o to the original one a lot, mostly because I've lived at Park LaBrea 3 different times. It got a bit too busy after they stuck The Grove right next to it. And pricey. I liked the Dupar's there though. That was my first taste of a real American diner. And of course Cantor's is a blast. I wonder if they pay their waitstaff well, they're like national treasures. How about Greenblatt's on Sunset there at either Crescent Hieghts or La Cienega, can't remember which. They had the most divine green been salad with almonds in it. Ive been trying to replicate that one every thanksgiving for years now.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
... because I've lived at Park LaBrea 3 different times. It got a bit too busy after they stuck The Grove right next to it. And pricey. I liked the Dupar's there though. That was my first taste of a real American diner. And of course Cantor's is a blast. I wonder if they pay their waitstaff well, they're like national treasures. How about Greenblatt's on Sunset there at either Crescent Hieghts or La Cienega, can't remember which. They had the most divine green been salad with almonds in it. Ive been trying to replicate that one every thanksgiving for years now.
I always thought Park LaBrea would be a very cool place to live! (This is such a small world.) Years ago the Farmer's Market had a totally different vibe. (I do think the Grove ruined it.) DH and I used to go there early in the morning for coffee and pastry. You could see major names from CBS working on scripts. Actors, directors, writers. Old Hollywood had their tables. It was so much fun just hanging out there and being totally cool about the Oscar winner sitting next to you. We used to save our pennies so we could buy Smithfield hams there. It was the only place in SoCal they were available and they were $$. (Now I can get Smithfield at my local Safeway.)

My mother used to go to FM because one stall had a Polish couple running it and she could get Polish bread and pierogis. She'd buy enough bread to load a freezer. Oh, Greenblats! Well, now I'm wanting a nice pastrami. Something tells me DH is going to get dragged to the city this weekend so I can get one. (But the wait staff does not call you Hon. I miss, miss, miss not having Cantor's close by.)

OOhhh... And Nate n Al's!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM

Vons back home = Safeway here

I've had it with my 5 yo. I might start a new thread.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've had it with my 5 yo. I might start a new thread.
We're here for you.

Hang in there.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:57 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Hey all - off to walk the dog but thought I'd check in.

rkb - hang in there. I saw your post. Wish I had good advice, but having only had one child, I don't have much experience in that arena. I remember punishments were usually as torturous for me as it was for my son.....

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM

I just spent 30 mins on the phone with my tremendously upset sister. Whose politics and religion are VERY conservative.

Her son just got a job at a sex shop.

I don't think she appreciated my bursting into laughter.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I just spent 30 mins on the phone with my tremendously upset sister. Whose politics and religion are VERY conservative.

Her son just got a job at a sex shop.

I don't think she appreciated my bursting into laughter.
LMAO! That's what happens when you are TOO restricting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.