Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You may think you are capable but that only goes so far, but the Dr's career depends on knowing what is going on with their patient. I said noting should be FORCED, but even then there are times medical force is necessary on a child when there is an actual problem. I ask you: Why have a routine checkup for anything ever if you are so f'ing capable? I'm sure you can look at everything and can tell if you kid is sick can't you? The melanoma thing posted above is just ONE issue that Dr's have to cover, let them do their jobs or find one who doesn't believe in looking at anything under clothing or whatever.
As far as my son goes, he went when he was older and found a lump and had no choice and worried himself sick for months before he told anyone. If the Dr had checked she might have seen it and explained it on the spot. Kids need to know to talk to their Dr's and not be intimidated, mommy wont be looking at their pirvates forever. And I don't care about your sex life fool.
A doctors career SHOULD depend on knowing what is going on with their patient, but anyone with a brain knows that some are so busy they just don't have the time..... and in actuality know very little about their patients. I am as capable as need be to look at my body and see if something appears externally wrong....you may not be!......As for blood pressure, and blood tests etc(internal)...I DO go to the doc.... You say yourself that "medical force is necessary on a child when there is an ACTUAL problem........I wasn't aware this child had an actual problem Ceese.....I 'm glad your SON found the lump, and sought help....kids ARE intimidated by docters(no matter what you say)...and I don't care whether you do or don't care about my sex life.....and back at you with the "fool" thing.....quit being so angry!!!

Last edited by purehuman; 06-23-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
A doctors career SHOULD depend on knowing what is going on with their patient, but anyone with a brain knows that some are so busy they just don't have the time..... and in actuality know very little about their patients. I am as capable as need be to look at my body and see if something appears externally wrong....you may not be!......As for blood pressure, and blood tests etc(internal)...I DO go to the doc.... You say yourself that "medical force is necessary on a child when there is an ACTUAL problem........I wasn't aware this child had an actual problem Ceese.....I 'm glad your SON found the lump, and sought help....kids ARE intimidated by docters(no matter what you say)...and I don't care whether you do or don't care about my sex life.....and back at you with the "fool" thing.....quit being so angry!!!
so do YOU examine your daughters privates as a doctor might? Is that really any less stressful for or less weird? You've claimed you would know if there was a problem, so you must be looking.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes. The Dr always talked thru it about exactly what he/she was doing and it was always very quick. Something you should all know is that they can catch signs of sexual abuse this way too, as well as infections and abnormalities, so I have no idea why anyone would be against it. Thinking your Dr is a perv makes me think you aren't very intelligent or have some crazy sexual issues yourself. Nothing should ever be FORCED but kids have to learn not to be shy around a Dr or they are in for trouble as they get older.

Once when my son was about 8-9 a new Dr couldn't get him to let her check him out and she explained to me what to look for and to try to check myself. I never did but he is 20 and I assume it's all ok.
I'm not quite sure who you're referring to in this post, but like I said before, I don't think ANYONE was implying that the doctor was a perv. That wasn't the OP's issue, and not one post after that ever stated anything like that, so please quote one because I don't know what you're talking about. The issue was whether or not this was necessary on a five year old girl.

You said yourself that nothing should ever be FORCED, well that was my problem with this whole situation...it seemed very forced to me, and not really called for. This was a well child check up, not a life saving procedure this doctor was doing, and even if she felt like it was something she really should do, she could have at least tried to make the child more at ease, talked to her about what she was doing and why, and been more gentle about it.

Last edited by AnnaNomus; 06-23-2011 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The doc asked me to hold her legs. This was a female doctor...my daughter had refused to go to her usual pediatrician because she didn't want a male doctor anymore, so we found her a female to go to.

I apologized to my daughter for letting the doctor examine her when she was so scared. She seems to have moved on from the incident. We'll probably have issues the next time she has a checkup, but my daughter is a complicated little person, and we always have issues of one kind or another.

I'm very glad to hear that your daughter has moved on from this. Kids are like that, one day their devastated, and the next day there's so many other things happening that they don't have time to sit and dwell over it. It's great that they're like that.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I'm not quite sure who you're referring to in this post, but like I said before, I don't think ANYONE was implying that the doctor was a perv. That wasn't the OP's issue, and not one post after that ever stated anything like that, so please quote one because I don't know what you're talking about. The issue was whether or not this was necessary on a five year old girl.

You said yourself that nothing should ever be FORCED, well that was my problem with this whole situation...it seemed very forced to me, and not really called for. This was a well child check up, not a life saving procedure this doctor was doing, and even if she felt like it was something she really should do, she could have at least tried to make the child more at ease, talked to her about what she was doing and why, and been more gentle about it.
the term used was "class 1 creep" not perv, used to describe a doctor doing an exam. so, ya, I do think one person was implying it.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
so do YOU examine your daughters privates as a doctor might? Is that really any less stressful for or less weird? You've claimed you would know if there was a problem, so you must be looking.
When my children were young.....yes, as strange as it seems....I did help them to bathe...and to dress......When they were older they could do it themselves.....and if there was a problem or a concern they wouldn't be too shy to tell me, as we are a very open,realistic, easy going family......and yes, that's waaaaay less stressfull, and certainly not weird....I think it's weird to subject your young kids to the stares and touches of a stranger for no reason....even if he is a doctor.

Last edited by purehuman; 06-24-2011 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:

What do you think the purpose of a well child check is? It's to examine the child's whole body.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM

The purpose of a "well check" is to put money into the doctors pocket......

Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you think the purpose of a well child check is? It's to examine the child's whole body.
Ok...but if a child is distressed and crying about it, is it necessary for the doctor to insist that her legs be held down because she absolutely MUST check there?

Like I said, the doctor could have gone about it in a more compassionate way. I never said there was anything wrong with a doctor looking in those parts. I don't like the WAY it was done.

Geez, I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over...it's time to retire from this thread.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Ok...but if a child is distressed and crying about it, is it necessary for the doctor to insist that her legs be held down because she absolutely MUST check there?

Like I said, the doctor could have gone about it in a more compassionate way. I never said there was anything wrong with a doctor looking in those parts. I don't like the WAY it was done.

Geez, I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over...it's time to retire from this thread.
Well, re-reading the OP, it's not obvious that her legs were held down. Maybe that came later in the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting