Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 02:16 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm hoping that she'll just tell me to keep it, that we'll catch up later since she knows it will take weeks for her to get her act together and she'll eventually owe us this amount anyway. What are the odds of her saying that though, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So I'm the resident dope expert? LOL. Pipe or waterpipe is my understanding.

You may not wish to consult me further on anything. I had a couple of thumb-suckers and I have just found out that was a bad thing. (Besides the endless lectures I got from everybody I knew on crooked teeth apparently it could have delayed their speech! Who knew? Bad mommy.)
LMAO! Don't worry Dew. In mi casa I am the resident expert on painkillers. I always said if I have to go out in a horrible way please dope me up on morphine, heroin and demerol. Death won't be so bad then. Nah I just thought the hippy dude thing.

Quote:
Glad Mrs X asked! I was wondering how people did salvia too!

Don't listen to fools. Your end product proves otherwise.
I know salvia is popular with teens.

What has surprised me is smoking smarties! My neice confessed to my mother that she tried it once and did not like it. Like seriously SMARTIES THE CANDY! How the heck does one get a hit off of candy when smoked?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
So I'm the resident dope expert? LOL. Pipe or waterpipe is my understanding.

Quote:
You may not wish to consult me further on anything. I had a couple of thumb-suckers and I have just found out that was a bad thing. (Besides the endless lectures I got from everybody I knew on crooked teeth apparently it could have delayed their speech! Who knew? Bad mommy.)
DD8 sucks her fingers when she falls asleep. I figure in the grand scheme of things, it's just not a big deal. Her dentist knows, and isn't worried. He says it's still better than eating buckets of candy. And it definitely has not delayed her speech.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Hopes - I also forgot to mention Overstock.com has a section called Worldstock that sometimes has some lovely decor items.

Worldstock Fair Trade | Overstock.com:

Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:

BTW Hopes, when I was in Target this morning I wandered through the home section. They had some pretty cool looking pillows and rugs in the colors I think you're looking for. Found some flatware on sale but it's brushed metal and the box said it wouldn't do well in the dishwasher. But I keep thinking for 20 bucks what should I expect? Should have gotten it.
Thanks for thinking of my decorating project! I just need to get that darn floor down first. Turns out, I'm the one to install it. Hubby taught me and the project is mine. I just need a few more supplies before I start. I'm hoping to get it started this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
LMAO! Don't worry Dew. In mi casa I am the resident expert on painkillers. I always said if I have to go out in a horrible way please dope me up on morphine, heroin and demerol. Death won't be so bad then. Nah I just thought the hippy dude thing.
I absolutely hate morphine. Nurses could never get that damn IV out of my arm fast enough. Now demerol is a different story. Love demerol. Never had heroin that I know of, but I do wonder if that's the type of anesthesia they used when I was in 1st grade because I saw the most amazing colors right before going unconscious. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
What has surprised me is smoking smarties! My neice confessed to my mother that she tried it once and did not like it. Like seriously SMARTIES THE CANDY! How the heck does one get a hit off of candy when smoked?
I'm sooooooooooooo glad my kids are adults now! I kept a close eye on them. Kept an open mind to the normal experimentation. They never did anything stupid, never anything nutty like that.

It totally paid off that I kept communication open. I was able to guide them into making sound decisions. Some people might have children that will listen a blanket NO without explanation. Not my children, they needed sound logic behind my views. And I didn't want them sneaking around behind my back. I needed to know they were keeping themselves safe. I couldn't live in a cloud of denial like many of their friends' parents preferred. I was too terrified of harder drugs, a family across the street lost their house trying to save a daughter who was addicted to heroine.

For my children, saying "marijuania is safe to experiment but don't you EVER even try X, Y and Z, not even once, or you'll end up in the gutter" really helped them understand and believe me. If I had said don't you ever do anything, they might not have understood the severity of trying the harder drugs. All it takes is just trying that harder stuff once. I couldn't risk that. My babies were too precious and way too smart for me to try to bull**** them. I didn't condone anything, but I made it clear where the REAL dangers were.

Thankfully it all worked out. Neither of my children are into drugs. They don't drink either, a couple of times a year at the most.

Last edited by Hopes; 09-23-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But it's just a harmless little bunny ....
Look, that rabbit's got a mean streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

ETA: Look at the bones!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hopes - I also forgot to mention Overstock.com has a section called Worldstock that sometimes has some lovely decor items.

Worldstock Fair Trade | Overstock.com:
Ohmygoodness! There's some beautiful stuff there! Affordable too! Thank you so much!

Everyone has been super helpful and supportive here! You all have no idea how long I have gone without, putting everyone ahead of me.

If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness, I'd want to decorate my house before I died. That's how badly I feel I have neglected myself! Isn't that pathetic?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sooooooooooooo glad my kids are adults now. All of that is behind them. I kept a close eye on them. Kept an open mind to the normal experimentation. They never did anything stupid, never anything nutty like that.

It totally paid off that I kept communication open. I was able to guide them into making sound decisions. Some people might have children that will listen a blanket NO without explanation. Not my children, they needed sound logic behind my views. And I didn't want them sneaking around behind my back. I needed to know they were keeping themselves safe. I couldn't live in a cloud of denial like many of their friends' parents preferred. I was too terrified of harder drugs, a family across the street lost their house trying to save a daughter who was addicted to heroine.

For my children, saying "marijuania is safe to experiment but don't you EVER even try X, Y and Z, not even once, or you'll end up in the gutter" really helped them understand and believe me. If I had said don't you ever do anything, they might not have understood the severity of trying the harder drugs. All it takes is just trying that harder stuff once. I couldn't risk that. My babies were too precious and way too smart for me to try to bull**** them. I didn't condone anything, but I made it clear where the REAL dangers were.

Thankfully it all worked out. Neither of my children are into drugs. They don't drink either, a couple of times a year at the most.
I love this approach. I think there's something to be said for candid conversations about things. I'm glad it worked for you! I'm not looking forward to when we hit that stage, but we have a similar plan.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Howdy, CDMWR!

Trying to catch up a bit - LSE and I have had a sleepy rainy under the weather kind of day. It's almost nice!

Sorry you're having an annoying day, Kibbie.

Mrs X - How are you feeling today? Totally hear you and Zim about some of these cranky pants threads/posters. If I wanted that kind of interaction, I'd go back to POS!!

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:58 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Quote:
Thanks for thinking of my decorating project! I just need to get that darn floor down first. Turns out, I'm the one to install it. Hubby taught me and the project is mine. I just need a few more supplies before I start. I'm hoping to get it started this week.

I absolutely hate morphine. Nurses could never get that damn IV out of my arm fast enough. Now demerol is a different story. Love demerol. Never had heroin that I know of, but I do wonder if that's the type of anesthesia they used when I was in 1st grade because I saw the most amazing colors right before going unconscious. .

I'm sooooooooooooo glad my kids are adults now!
Good luck on the flooring! Let us know how it turns out.

As for drugs, demerol is awesome! I had it for my kidney stone during pregnancy and the week flew by without a memory of pain.

I never experimented with drugs growing up and never wanted to. I had an aunt and uncle who were both heroin addicts and smoke pot so drugs surely did not appeal to me. When I worked in the NHS in drug and substance abuse I asked many of them what is was like to do heroin. Surprisingly many came back and said it was like being wrapped in the most warm fuzziest blanket ever. They always said that if they had to go out, that is the way they would do it especially if they were in pain. One of my clients had terminal cancer and even on her dying day they gave her methadone and morphine for the pain. I still believe till this day she probably went out much more peacefully than others.

Yes when toddler X is of age we will have a long talk about drugs and experimenting.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I love this approach. I think there's something to be said for candid conversations about things. I'm glad it worked for you! I'm not looking forward to when we hit that stage, but we have a similar plan.
I have a similar plan too. Of course, I have no idea if that will actually happen, but I am planning on it. Unfortunately, DH probably has other plans. He is more of an all or nothing kind of person. I have to rein him in a LOT when it comes to DD. I will hear him saying things like "I told you to pick that up and you didn't. Fine. You will NEVER play with your friends ever again." ARGH. Then he goes back on what he said 20 seconds later and tells her she can go to the neighbor's house. I have been trying to work on it, but if he can't keep it under control for something on the floor, how will he handle when she tries weed for the first time? I want to keep open communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting