Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I can't shovel the yard.
Yes you can! We do it all the time for our dogs after blizzards!

Old 10-27-2011, 01:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:

I see the intent but I still don't pray.
Nor am I going to change my attitude about a situation when I should be angry.
It's not so much the garage I am angry about its the principle behind her attitude and her not caring at all. I slip in the yard more than I do the drive way because I have to park so far over to the left im stepping out into the snow in the yard and there's an incline. I can't shovel the yard.
No one is telling you to actually "pray" (I'm not going to even go there)...but to change your attitude from what you "can't" do/accept to what you "can" do/accept. I've honestly never seen a person consistently go on so much about what they "can't" do - and for years! Truly, you don't want to change your attitude but to borrow a much overused phrase: how's that working out for you?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I scraped my car the other day for .29 to get a cup of ramen and luckily I found about a $1.60 in my car and was able to get myself a drink too.

Nor am I going to change my attitude about a situation when I should be angry.
More free advice. (This is truly your lucky day.)

Do NOT sign a lease. You have no business signing a lease.

You do need to change your attitude. You are going to come across people and situations for the rest of your life that you don't like. People will do things that affect you that you don't like. Someday with your attitude and anger, you're going to meet up with someone that doesn't appreciate it. I'm telling you. It's not going to be pretty. You pull that on a superior at work (as an example) and you'll be in the unemployment line the next morning.

You know, you get a boat load of GREAT advice from people who have been there done that and are successful with their careers and family. When are you going to start listening?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
I can't afford or lift a 50lb bucket, I couldn't pay for it or get it home.
I apologize, I didn't realize. You have been talking about moving so I assumed you weren't broke. I read earlier today that you plan on getting a new laptop for Christmas, as well as gift cards and stuff for your apartment. Laptops are hundreds of dollars so I didn't realize you were in dire straits now. I hope you do not get yourself in a jam with a lease and wind up costing your roommate or co-signer money because you can't make rent.

In any case, if your driveway is all icy as you say, your mother will probably have or be getting salt.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
To be fair to txt, she should not be carrying 50 pound bags of salt or shoveling snow right now because she has an injured hand/arm. Her injury is probably causing her to "guard" the injured limb, causing her gait and stance to be asymmetrical--making her more prone to slip and fall. I have never had good balance so I can totally sympathize.

She has some pain and inconvenience from her injury which can contribute to feeling of anger for things that she feels could make her safer. A two car garage, with one car in it and a bunch of junk makes me angry too. The homes around us have two, three plus car garages, and sad to say many of them are full of junk. We have always kept ours clear enough to fit our two vehicles.

I believe that she may write her posts with a little more fire and color than the way she really interacts with her world. Hopefully writing about her feelings of anger is a coping mechanism. We all knew a lot more at 22 than we do today, and I truley wish that I still had some of those feelings of absolutes.

Last edited by funisart; 10-27-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,743 times
Quote:
And it is a luxury if it means the difference between getting lunch for a week or getting ice melt.

I see the intent but I still don't pray.
1. Responsible car maintenance (which weather-related tools fall under, category-wise) is not a luxury.

2. The serenity "prayer" has a long history of secular use, as well as any religious/spiritual overtones. There's a reason it's used in 12 step programs.

3. "Should" is one of the most ineffective words in the English language - if you want to be effective, try dealing with what IS not what SHOULD BE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No one is telling you to actually "pray" (I'm not going to even go there)...but to change your attitude from what you "can't" do/accept to what you "can" do/accept. I've honestly never seen a person consistently go on so much about what they "can't" do - and for years! Truly, you don't want to change your attitude but to borrow a much overused phrase: how's that working out for you?
Exactly! The serenity prayer is about acceptance and change and when it is effective to use one or the other strategy.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:31 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
^^^ Yes, perhaps it SHOULD go something like this.... Txt SHOULD be paying her mother rent, in order to live there! Txt's mother should NOT be expected to shovel snow and melt ice for a deadbeat tenant!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...if I had a kid that was oozing this sense of entitlement, seething with ungratefulness, not to mention, talking about SUING me, because I wasn't letting her park in the garage and/or going out and shoveling the snow/melting the ice, so that she could come and go, unhindered.....ALL while letting her live rent FREE in my home, you can bet she'd be finding some place else to live!!

Seriously....OMG!!!!! You better figure something out txt, because you really have issues with entitlement.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
First hot chocolate of the season! Yay!

I also have socks on. Haven't opened up the sock drawer since last April. They feel great.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
First hot chocolate of the season! Yay!

I also have socks on. Haven't opened up the sock drawer since last April. They feel great.
So, 80 is hot chocolate weather for you?

LO6 asked me today when he gets hot chocolate. I don't know why he didn't ask while it was snowing 2 days ago.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Gorgeous out here today! I'd call it "brisk" don't know the temp. Not warm but not cold either (IMO). not windy, lots of sun. And it's Friday, which makes everything look better anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting