Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Idk why but I went into the breastfeeding thread...

Nursing can go on for years???

I knew of the extreme cases where the kid would be 5 or older but I thought you typically stopped before they were a year.
Most I know stop at around 1 year. Mine were 4 weeks and 4 months more or less.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
The American Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends exclusive breastfeeding through six months, and then breastfeeding along with solids until one year. Usually starting on solids means the kiddo will nurse less. DS self-weaned around 16 months, but he had been only doing a single bedtime nurse (not sure why, but I've read that's usually the last feeding time to go) since around a year or so. I'm aiming for a year for DD as well. My rule of thumb is that when the kiddo is old enough to ask for it by name or help themselves, it is time to stop! But folks have very different (and strong!!) opinions on this.
With the first two, I had to go back to work when they were 4 months. With number 3 I dried up at 4 months, then dried up at 6 months with number 4. Drying up determined when I quit breast feeding. I suppose I could have worked harder to keep the milk flowing longer, but I have a hard time sitting still for long. Emotionally, I needed to be up and moving. It made it easier to do if I could pass off the bottle to someone else. Besides, hubby was more than ready, each time. He LOVES his babies and always felt so left out when he couldn't hold them to feed. He did happy dances everytime the babies went onto bottles full time. Too funny!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
With the first two, I had to go back to work when they were 4 months. With number 3 I dried up at 4 months, then dried up at 6 months with number 4. Drying up determined when I quit breast feeding. I suppose I could have worked harder to keep the milk flowing longer, but I have a hard time sitting still for long. Emotionally, I needed to be up and moving. It made it easier to do if I could pass off the bottle to someone else. Besides, hubby was more than ready, each time. He LOVES his babies and always felt so left out when he couldn't hold them to feed. He did happy dances everytime the babies went onto bottles full time. Too funny!
Haha! I love the happy dances! I totally hear you on the importance of dads getting to be part of feeding, too! I pump enough for two bottles per day, so Mr Ewag can have some LME feeding time (and I can theoretically get some sleep!).

I hope I didn't sound all rigid about "how it should be done" or anything. I am a huge proponent of doing what works for each mom-child pair. In my mind, the important thing is that the baby is being fed and growing, whether it be from breast milk, formula, or some combo of both. It really rubs me the wrong way when people get judgmental about it. LSE was supplemented with formula because we had some latch and supply issues early on, my sister couldn't nurse at all for health reasons at first and then went back to work where it was super inconvenient to pump, other friends needed to be on certain meds not conducive to nursing or it just didn't work for them. My mom and I were just talking about how challenging it must be to be nursing and working f/t. I think each kiddo and each situation are different. So to each her own, I say!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
I belieeeeevee I can fly....
I belieeeeve I can touch the sky....
I believe I can get my asss out of my moms houseeeeeee
I believeeee I can soarrrrrr
I'll have my own front doooooorrrrr.

Anyways, tonight is the first night I sat down and reviewed my finances.
I can officially afford to live on my own, with an apartment under $800.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
YEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Packers won! Broncos won! Cardinals Won!

Timmie Tebow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOTS of happiness around here tonight!!

How 'bout them Cowboys? How 'bout LaRod the Hyphen!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Good Morning--

Yayyy for everyone with good news!!!!!!!

Tim T, amazing!!!

I'm on a natural high, my kids are coming next week, we will be doing Christmas early, and I'm having fun getting everything ready for them.

My mom is feeling better, and no one I know has the flu--so life is good.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
So cool, wish I was more of a daredevil. My two older nieces are big climbers, and I am very envious of their nerves of steel.

Project Bandaloop Demo Reel - YouTube

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Default Zim you should

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So cool, wish I was more of a daredevil. My two older nieces are big climbers, and I am very envious of their nerves of steel.

Project Bandaloop Demo Reel - YouTube
Go Parasailing--safer, but so much fun to be way up high!!!!!!!!!! No nerves of steel required.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
neat! I was in a local HS gym last night and it had a climbing wall. There is a class called "adventure" that includes climbing. We didn't have anything like that when I was a kid!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Funi - parasailing is fun, isn't it?

Kibbie - Adventure class...sounds awesome. We did Outward Bound, it was a great experience.

Here are some funnies. Keeping it PG so the sick kiddos at home can enjoy it too!

Muppet Show - Mahna Mahna...m HD 720p bacco... Original! - YouTube

Muppet Sunshine - YouTube

And the Zim family's all-time favorite:

Muppet Show Moreno and Animal - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting