Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Hey - mm and rkb - don't know if you look at Living Social Deals or not but here's one you might like (good date night Kibbie):

Dallas 1-Day Deals

DH and I have done this before. On Saturday night there is live music. It's a tiny little place but cozy and good wine. We actually might do it again.
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I need help figuring out how to inspire hubby to make healthy lifestyle changes. I'm really worried about him.

He's older than me and pushing 60 (which means somewhere above 56, not sure of his exact age.)

I know the late 50s is still young. But my mother died at 56 and my father died at 62.

This year, two of his brothers and one of his sisters have had heart attacks. They don't even smoke! Hubby blames their diets. And two of his friends died this year.

When hubby went for his physical, his blood pressure was high (because he was angry thinking his company was trying to screw him). It wasn't super high but it's in the range where my doctor told me yesterday that they advise lifestyle changes.

He's active with the renovation right now, but he'd mostly sit on the sofa or putz in the yard otherwise. He smokes cigars. Since he hasn't been working for most of the year, he has put on some wieght and it has all settled in his stomach. Not much. Maybe 15 pounds. But people who carry weight in their stomachs are at greater risk of heart problems. Now that his new position isn't active, he won't be working that off. He has started walking a mile when he's on runs, so that means he's walking one mile two or three times a week, but that won't last when the weather turns crappy because he's walking during a layovers in the mountains and there will be lots of snow.

I want him to stop smoking cigars and start exercising. I love this guy! I want him to be around forever!

His entire life doctors have told him he has the heart of a teenager. He's totally in denial that his health is starting to change.

How can I inspire him? He has an excuse for everything. It's like he needs to have a heart attack to believe it! I don't want that.
you don't know how old your husband is?

Is there an activity you can do together, like go for a walk every morning or evening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
They are closed today for on-site training.
This is like a sick joke.
This is why I'm like really?

I FINALLY see a doctor outside the ER and I actually have something requiring medical attention and its cheap and the place is nice and clean and then this happens...

This could have been avoided. I even asked the doctor before I left, "Is that everything I need am I good to go?" She told me yes, I asked "do I need to check out at the front desk or anything?" Nope you're free to go.

But this is just ridiculous.
This WOULD happen to me...
Is this a chain with other locations? If so, maybe they are all linked, and another location could help you.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
Here's another one:

$49 - TAG Restaurant: 'Phenomenal' Dinner for 2, Reg. $101 | Travelzoo Local Deals

If you go to the top tab and pick Denver, you can see all the Denver deals.

DH and I have been to Tag and it's great - I highly recommend it.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:29 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
oh my gosh - that made my day too ewag!

Quote:
Definitely! Check craig's list regularly too.

Sadly, the fun has to end. I need to go to the library and write two papers that are due today via internet.
Ugh - good luck! And perhaps have fun, depending on the topic??

Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you don't know how old your husband is?
I don't even know how old I am!

I estimate fairly well. Hit and miss within a three year range.

If I need to know, I do the math.

But these days last thing I want to know is how old we are! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Ugh - good luck! And perhaps have fun, depending on the topic??
It will be boring but they are very short papers. I should be done in a few hours.

Before I leave, gotta say CD is great. Learned in the Pittsburgh forum that there is a small town arts festival nearby tomorrow.

I know what we're doing this weekened now. Arts festival, biking, walking, and home remodeling!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
It will be boring but they are very short papers. I should be done in a few hours.

Before I leave, gotta say CD is great. Learned in the Pittsburgh forum that there is a small town arts festival nearby tomorrow.

I know what we're doing this weekened now. Arts festival, biking, walking, and home remodeling!
Well, brief is always good! May the force be with you!

And super cool re: the arts festival.

So more evidence that LSE just isn't feeling up to par:
He was throwing a tantrum from hades, went up into my room, threw himself on the bed and when I went up a few minutes later he was wrapped up in my snoogle (pregnancy pillow), little tush in the air, completely passed out.

So I guess it's nap time - an afternoon boon for mommy! Woo-hoo! (I know I will regret this at 10pm tonight when he's still awake, but it's better than the alternatives right now)

Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Life sucks, get a helmet. THANK YOU Ewag! I needed a mantra for the next stage in my life. I owe ya!

Hopes, DH is a few years older than I am. He spends hours on the computer (unlike me ) and doesn't get nearly the physical activity he used to. I worry constantly. He's got that belly creep right now too. The thing is, he isn't a heavy eater, he just needs to move more. But, in his case, it's all or nothing. Lots of labor followed by two weeks off, you know?

Once a year we plan a trip away, and then he diets his way into an acceptable shape. We have a Wii, it's sitting in a box somewhere, maybe one of the boys took it.

We have paintball guns and camo gear too. DH went once with his company, and came home covered in bruises. You would have to get me liquored up real good to play that game.

Cloudy day today, perfect for washing the outsides of the windows. Sooo, I'm off.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You would have to get me liquored up real good to play that game.
That made me laugh! How fun would that be?!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Fin, that is so terrific! Is that our Giggle Bunny I hear?

I've got a couple of ideas in my head to expand on this. How much work is adding another page or two? I'm thinking listing our virtual baby presents?
Thanks Dew... that would be fine. Just put your ideas here and I'll make another page. Any ideas on what you want? I'll do my best with my limited capability in the website building biz.

I might work on the song a bit more though. Yes that is our GiggleBunny, plus the ladies that bought us Schweddy Balls.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hehe... why yes, yes it does. Shall I put my Rob Zombie Howard Stern track on there, Zim?
Haha! That would be interesting!

I love the mix you did, just hilarious.

Ewag - thanks for the funny. Very funny.

Coop - our school is trying to change things up technologically too, which I think is fantastic. The school is trying something new this year where 5th is more like middle school, with a homeroom teacher, and moving around for classes. I suspect they are merely having teething troubles right now.

Nummy - sorry you are feeling unwell. Hope you feel better soon.

As for whining, I'm in no mood today.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hopes, DH is a few years older than I am. He spends hours on the computer (unlike me ) and doesn't get nearly the physical activity he used to. I worry constantly. He's got that belly creep right now too. The thing is, he isn't a heavy eater, he just needs to move more. But, in his case, it's all or nothing. Lots of labor followed by two weeks off, you know?
That's hubby. He's not a big eater either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie
We have paintball guns and camo gear too. DH went once with his company, and came home covered in bruises. You would have to get me liquored up real good to play that game.
Quote:
That made me laugh! How fun would that be?!
Agreed! Sounds like a blast! I'd totally raise a glass for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting