Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times

Advertisements

Good morning, CDMWRAHASOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Is someone offering door prizes for all our recent mompetitor postings?
I am not parting with my turquoise coffeepot, thankyouverymuch!

However, I'll offer a cheap toaster oven: Hamilton Beach DH22708 HB Toastation Toaster & Oven

Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I know which thread you are reading. Just for fun, you might want to keep up with the parent from an Eastern European country who is once again ripping American schools and society on the education forum.
Jeebuz! What a nutter! I love the whole schtick "I was brought up under a brutal communist regime, but had an idyllic childhood". Um...delusional is more like it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am getting really tired of a certain phrase I am seeing more and more of around here. "My child is gifted. I know all parents think their kids are gifted, but mine really is." I am sorry, but knock it off. Especially when the things you list your "gifted" child can do and those things are actually on the average to below-average side. If some of the "gifted" kids really are gifted, then my 6 year old should be ready to graduate college any day and will put Einstein and Hawking to shame.

Repeat after me everyone: My child is not gifted. He does not deserve special treatment just because I think he is gifted. Even if I hold on to the delusion that my child really is gifted, I will not run around telling everyone that.
I think they test for the gifted program here at the end of 2nd grade. I can't wait to come tell you all just how gifted my son is! I'm actually really curious to see how he does. DH and I were both in gifted programs. With DS's SPD and our genes, should be in interesting result. For the record, I never did anything out of the ordinary fantastic with my supposed giftedness. I got B's and went to a state college. If that's gifted, I don't think it is something to get THAT excited about.

Thanks for the organizer idea. We do usually get out an outfit the night before. It is easier with boys, I'm sure. All their socks are the same, clothes are basic. They just spend so much time messing around and bouncing off the walls, and DS8 spending 30-40 minutes eating doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I know which thread you are reading. Just for fun, you might want to keep up with the parent from an Eastern European country who is once again ripping American schools and society on the education forum.

I will join the cranky pants brigade. We finally got some decent rain last night. Naturally, my newspaper is a sodden mass of wood pulp at the bottom of the driveway. The one freakin puddle that forms is like a target for the carrier.

Last night's ladies Dinner Club menu was goat cheese lasagna rolls ups and chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce. Quite tasty.

Wine kills germs for all those still battling sniffles (or dealing with kids/pets battling much worse) Dr Mattie's prescription of the day.

I am going to finally order some wedding pictures today. Just a couple that I can pull out if we get a visit.
Make sure you get one with you in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hey, MWR, want to see something funny?

Great Gifts from Knock Knock - Funny Office Gifts, Cool Stationery, Smart Notepads

My husband and his sister have a very rude sense of humor that they share. I think one of the reasons he loves me is that I put up with it and can join in. I think it's funny to see the two of them, how they prank one another, and the tasteless gifts they buy for Christmas. Last Christmas, my sister-in-law bought my husband a pad labeled S*** List, with all kinds of checkboxes to tick about why someone is on the list. More of a novelty, good for a laugh. I went looking for something similar online and found a whole store of them (above). Check some of them out if you aren't offended. (It's very lowbrow.)

I am reading the one labeled Hey A*****, with tears of laughter on my face.
Hilarious!!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Ooooooh! Oooooooo! Ooooooooh!

Can we all list on here why our child is so super special? You know why our child is more special than all of the others? I think that would be fun.

I'll start. These are all things DD has done on her own without special prompting by Mommy. DD:
  • Was counting to 100 before her 3rd birthday
  • Learned addition up to 4 digits (1896 + 6985) around her 4th birthday
  • Learned long division before starting Kindergarten.
  • Learned her times tables when she was 4 (except 6s. she still has issues with 6s).
  • Could say her alphabet backwards by 3.
Let me think of more on why my baby is more special than yours. Why don't you all tell me how your kids are more special than mine.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Good morning, CDMWRAHASOH!

aka CDMHRAKASS (and that's kick not kiss! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I am not parting with my turquoise coffeepot, thankyouverymuch!

However, I'll offer a cheap toaster oven: Hamilton Beach DH22708 HB Toastation Toaster & Oven
What about this from Julia's link?

http://www.knockknock.biz/catalog/ca...your-children/

Old 09-22-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Need decorating advice from CDMWR!

My livingroom is a blank slate, except it has a brick wall. I'm buying everything new--furniture, area rug, curtains, etc. I have to figure out a color scheme to go with this brick wall. It's a 100 year old wall with lots of rich colors---various shades of burnt orange, some reds, a few grey purples here and there. The mortor is more like grey taupe, not white.

These days I'm drawn to bright multi colored bohemian fabrics---like india fabric, maybe morraco, turkish, etc. I also want to incorporate artwork into my home. When I look at paintings, I always love the ones with the bright vivid colors.

I've never dared to decorate this way. I want to give it a shot! I know this isn't something most people would want for their homes. I just wish there was a way for me to have an explosion of colors.

But it just seems that vivid colors will clash with this brick. Maybe I should just stick with rick burnt oranges and golds. I've always been perplexed by this brick wall but it's too pretty to cover up. I just need to figure out how to decorate with it.
If my dream home had one brick wall I'd go with a texturey antique white on the other walls, and then use lots of brushed metal, black, and bright asian-print oranges, reds and purples with some gold thrown in. I love tight color pallets. Maybe a deep egg[plant sofa and a brick red chair or two, and work around those. Lots of wall art. I have one print of a petroglyph that is in those general colors (it's on a salmon colored stucco wall).

Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Pier 1 Imports - Product Detail - Sunset Stripes Jeweled Pillow

I like these colors.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Check out some of these old homes in Pittsburgh in this thread:

The "Show Off Your House" Pictures Thread!

Mine looks nothing like them, but I thought you'd enjoy seeing them. Check out the 17000sf warehouse remodel on the second to the last page too.

Mine doesn't have as much uniform color, mostly lighter orange than that, with some red ones like in that pic, and a few purple ones here and there.

I'll try to post a pic within the next few days.
Love the row house in #28.

Osirus (post #23) has the same color bathroom tile as I do (that peachy color) but mine has white trim. We have a pink, blue, green, yellow, peach and purple shower curtain with frogs, and a Save the Manatees poster in the same colors on the wall.
Never let it be said the Aconite family is afraid of color. I live with a bunch of visual artists.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-22-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Hola, guten tag, yakshimash, aloha, how's it hangin?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am getting really tired of a certain phrase I am seeing more and more of around here. "My child is gifted. I know all parents think their kids are gifted, but mine really is." I am sorry, but knock it off. Especially when the things you list your "gifted" child can do and those things are actually on the average to below-average side. If some of the "gifted" kids really are gifted, then my 6 year old should be ready to graduate college any day and will put Einstein and Hawking to shame.

Repeat after me everyone: My child is not gifted. He does not deserve special treatment just because I think he is gifted. Even if I hold on to the delusion that my child really is gifted, I will not run around telling everyone that.
We generally use the phrase "smarter than the average bear". The only time "gifted" comes out of my mouth (fingers?) is here, in discussions specifically about gifted children. My favorites are the people who talk about their three year olds knowing all their colors. Mmm...okay. When they memorize the periodic table and can give you atomic numbers, get back to me. (No, I'm not claiming mine did that.)
Though I will admit to being amused that the phrase people use in connection with Young Miss Aconite is "scary smart", but mostly I'm just relieved they're not stopping after the word "scary". Which...sometimes...okay, not infrequently ...they could.

Last edited by Aconite; 09-22-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting