Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:46 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I'll step right up with you two as well. If I was an employer, you can bet that if I found out I was paying an employee to chit chat on the Internet, instead of doing the job he/she was being paid to do....they'd have loads of "upaid" time on their hands, to spend with their friends.
...and then you'd probably get back to your own personal emailing or web browsing, like so many employers are doing on company time. Just tell me you wouldn't be a hypocrite and I'll try really hard to believe you!

Not attacking you personally, but the almost inevitable effect power can have on a person.

This all reminds of one more thing we can do to protect our children: hesitate to "meet up" with someone WE meet online, and be as careful as possible when dealing with new friends, girlfriends, or boyfriends. Perhaps it goes without saying, but parents should demonstrate caution. Some (albeit not many) parents kind of disregard it right in front of their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 06:26 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
...and then you'd probably get back to your own personal emailing or web browsing, like so many employers are doing on company time. Just tell me you wouldn't be a hypocrite and I'll try really hard to believe you!

Not attacking you personally, but the almost inevitable effect power can have on a person.

This all reminds of one more thing we can do to protect our children: hesitate to "meet up" with someone WE meet online, and be as careful as possible when dealing with new friends, girlfriends, or boyfriends. Perhaps it goes without saying, but parents should demonstrate caution. Some (albeit not many) parents kind of disregard it right in front of their kids.
Excuse me? If I am the employer, hence, the person who is paying your salary, it's frankly none of your damn business what I'm doing with my time, whether it be playing solitare or chatting on FB, as long as YOU are getting paid to do what you were hired to do!

Now, I'll put the shoe on the other foot. If someone is going to hire me to do a job for them, you can bet your sweet arse, I'm going to do the job they paid me to do. Unless chatting on FB, checking my email, or surfing the Internet is the job are paying me to do, I'm not going to do it at work and expect to be paid for it! As long as that employer is paying me to do my job, I don't care if they're dinking around on their computer. It's none of my business. I choose to do the RIGHT thing. That's not hypocritical at all!

Now, let's bring this back around to protecting our children, so that we're not completely off topic here. We need to model, for our children, how to do the RIGHT thing. They need to know, that like a boss, we are going to occasionally check up on them, to make sure that they're not doing anything that's going to get them hurt or in trouble. Because clearly, like some adults out there, children can make some pretty poor choices. It doesn't matter if everyone else is doing it, if it's not right...it's not right!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Plus there's that whole thing where if you have a job you're getting paid to do a JOB and not sit around and play Angry Birds and text your friends. (Or is it terribly 20th Century of me to think that people should be paying attention to their work and not messing around on the company's dime?)
Including the day before Christmas holiday?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:05 PM

beachmel, let's clarify something. Generally, the employer is the business, not necessarily the owner. I would agree it's not a big deal if the OWNER is doing it, but what I'm talking about is any other person who does the hiring and firing, from supervisor to manager. They're not by the laws of what is "right" any more entitled to taking care of personal business on company time; they're supposed to be working for the company same as me.

But I still say it's typically a BAD employer that obsesses over such things. I've had plenty of friends work in offices where they were permitted to email or chat, whatever. Giving your employees a few privileges is a great morale booster.

And yes, I agree with what you said in the last paragraph. But you didn't comment on whether or not parents should follow the same rules they set for their kids...

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
beachmel, let's clarify something. Generally, the employer is the business, not necessarily the owner. I would agree it's not a big deal if the OWNER is doing it, but what I'm talking about is any other person who does the hiring and firing, from supervisor to manager. They're not by the laws of what is "right" any more entitled to taking care of personal business on company time; they're supposed to be working for the company same as me.

But I still say it's typically a BAD employer that obsesses over such things. I've had plenty of friends work in offices where they were permitted to email or chat, whatever. Giving your employees a few privileges is a great morale booster.

And yes, I agree with what you said in the last paragraph. But you didn't comment on whether or not parents should follow the same rules they set for their kids...
We certainly have this problem big time at our company. Cell phone use is illegal by FTC regulations on a sales floor. They can be used to take snapshots, which means you could use them to copy credit numbers. Anyone caught with a cell phone gets sent home for the day on the first offense and will be fired after the second.

It's awfully hard to make the employees respect this when the managers walk around texting on their phones. Last week I had to tell the vice president of the company to get off the floor with her cell. How can I tell the employees that they're putting us at risk of getting shut down, but the VP isn't?

If there's a rule, it does need to apply to everyone.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM

My favorite "Do as I say, not as I do" is parents who smoke and tell their kids not to. Not only do they learn by watching, but they may come to associate the smell of cigarette smoke with their parents, which also contributes to getting them hooked.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Let's get back to the topic. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
My favorite "Do as I say, not as I do" is parents who smoke and tell their kids not to. Not only do they learn by watching, but they may come to associate the smell of cigarette smoke with their parents, which also contributes to getting them hooked.
But dude, THEY'RE KIDS.

Adults drink, smoke, have sex, watch R rated movies etc because they are of age to do so.
Children cannot do those things because they are too young.

If you're going to set by example you might as well not do anything a child can't do, as to not make them think they should be able to as well.

Glass of wine with Christmas dinner? Nope, put it down your child can't drink.
Watching the Horrible Bosses DVD your DH got you for xmas? Nope, its not appropriate for children, put it away.

I understand setting a good example and being a decent person, being kind to others, having a good work ethic, not shouting cuss words at traffic etc but when it comes to "adult" activities, drinking smoking etc, its not really something you can say you should set an example with.

You CAN tell your MINOR child don't smoke even if you do, because they are underage, just as you can tell them as minors no drinking, no sex, no driving, no whatever the law has an age on UNTIL they are that age to legally do so.

As an example, the first time I posted here was because my mom was setting down some crazy rules on me and she was making me go to bed at the same time she was my brother because HE wanted to stay up till whenever as well, he didn't want a bedtime but he was 14 and I was 19. Should I go to bed at 9-930pm because my then minor brother felt it unfair that someone older than him could and he couldn't.

Instead of explaining to a 14 year old...hey you are 14, you are in 8th grade, you have to be at school early so YOU have to go to bed at a decent time, you are also young and shouldn't be staying up late, you are 14, YOU have a bedtime. She is 19, she does not have a bedtime, she does not need to go to bed the same time as you.

My mom just made us go to bed at the same time.
Point of my story, when you are certain ages you get to do certain things and get to make certain decisions for yourself, until then you have to do as your parents tell you.

It IS fair that a 14 year old doesn't get to stay up as late as a 19 year old college student.
It IS fair that 21 year olds get to drink and 18 year olds can't.
It IS fair if an older sibling or parents get to do something a younger child can't.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Do you seriously believe this???? Really???

Not only is ALL of your employer owned computer activity LOGGED and BACKED UP on several servers, there are monitoring programs that are constantly watching what every employee is doing while using the computer.

If you enter a website, the monitoring program is watching you. If you go to a site that is flagged, an alert goes back to the IT department.

Every action you take on that computer is actively monitored by another computer. That computer reports back to the people working in the IT department. It's not exactly someone watching you over your shoulder; it is actually MUCH worse ... Because --- they can replay exactly what kind of message you sent, what kind of site you visited and what kind of information you passed along. They can even provide a screen shot. What you do on their computer is owned by them, and it is submissable in court should there be a legal case brought up.

You, personally, might not be doing anything "illegal" on their computer. BUT -- if your company has a technology use policy that you signed when you were hired, and you're in violation of that policy just by surfing the net or using FB, that is reason alone to terminate you with just cause. All the technology disclosure has to say is that you recognize the computer is there for work purposes only.
Hmmm. That explains why my work computer allows me to access FB and read it - but my keyboard inexplicably won't work when I try to type anything on it! Darn them!

My company allow us all internet access for investigative purposes so I try not to abuse it. But sometimes ~ if I'm on hold for a really long time or just totally stressed out - I'll surf the web for a few minutes. No where interesting - though I have located my son's twitter account. Yay!

Usually after that - I feel a little de-stressed (not sure why) and ready to go back to work. We also work a ton on our own time - which is why I think they are kind of flexible.

I'll have to try and limit that. BUT the only time I can search my son's tweets is on my work computer because he found out one time when I did it at home. Nothing like having the inside read on his private thoughts - though sometimes I wish I did'n't know things that I now do.

Is that good or bad? I'm no longer sure.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hmmm. That explains why my work computer allows me to access FB and read it - but my keyboard inexplicably won't work when I try to type anything on it! Darn them!

My company allow us all internet access for investigative purposes so I try not to abuse it. But sometimes ~ if I'm on hold for a really long time or just totally stressed out - I'll surf the web for a few minutes. No where interesting - though I have located my son's twitter account. Yay!

Usually after that - I feel a little de-stressed (not sure why) and ready to go back to work. We also work a ton on our own time - which is why I think they are kind of flexible.

I'll have to try and limit that. BUT the only time I can search my son's tweets is on my work computer because he found out one time when I did it at home. Nothing like having the inside read on his private thoughts - though sometimes I wish I did'n't know things that I now do.

Is that good or bad? I'm no longer sure.

Where I work there is NOTHING to do, I have patrols every two hours and I assist as needed. I have a nextel and they can just hit me up on my nextel when they need to.
But other than my patrols there is nothing to do, nothing I am suppose to do, my patrols are the only things I am supposed to do, other than that I am to sit at my desk and wait for something and watch the door.

So we ARE allowed to surf facebook, play music, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting