Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They ABSOLUTELY DID. Maybe what we need to raise awareness of is how to get all the facts before becoming reactionary.
According to the article in the OP, Target has not apologized to this woman. If you have a different source that says otherwise, post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Old enough not to take every damn thing so seriously.

Ah geez, Rosa Parks, why are you taking this so seriously? Just get up and move to the back of the bus.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Ah geez, Rosa Parks, why are you taking this so seriously? Just get up and move to the back of the bus.

I think he was refrenceing you commenting about his immaturity for saying boobies. Not the actual bf'ing in public thing.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
She was sitting on the floor in the clothing section.

I used to work retail. If an adult was sitting on the floor in the store, I would have gone up to see if they needed medical assistance, and probably suggested moving to the dressing room when I saw what was going on. Why? Because there's a seat in there, the closest seat to the clothing area most likely, and if someone is sitting on the floor in the middle of the racks of clothes, especially at Target where everything is crammed together and the carts are big, they're in danger of getting hit in the face (or baby's head) by a careless shopper who just doesn't see them sitting on the floor.

I doubt she would have had the problem if she was sitting on a bench somewhere. If they told her something when she was sitting on a bench, that might have been worth a little media attention.

Yes, you have the right to breastfeed anywhere in TX. But stores have the right to ask a customer to move if they're somewhere that puts them at risk or is disruptive to the other shoppers. Just like if you decided to breastfeed in the middle of a street, a police officer would not be infringing on your rights if he asked you to move.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
cant and will never be able to change the way people feel. You just cant.
Thank God you are so wrong. Yes you can change the way people think, feel and act.. Only a few decades ago you and your partner of a different race would have been physically accosted in some parts of the country and certainly denied service at places.

The general public in this country has slowly come to tolerate and even embrace so many things like reproductive rights, gay marriage, gay adoptions, inter racial adoptions, handicap access, and the list goes on and on. It is because of activism that the FEELINGS of people are changing.

And Stan4---aren't you a doctor? Do I have the right person? If you are a doctor and you refer to breasts as boobies---well I certainly would have little confidence in your abilities as a doctor. Attitude says so much.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

I used to work retail. If an adult was sitting on the floor in the store, I would have gone up to see if they needed medical assistance, and probably suggested moving to the dressing room when I saw what was going on. Why? Because there's a seat in there, the closest seat to the clothing area most likely, and if someone is sitting on the floor in the middle of the racks of clothes, especially at Target where everything is crammed together and the carts are big, they're in danger of getting hit in the face (or baby's head) by a careless shopper who just doesn't see them sitting on the floor.

I doubt she would have had the problem if she was sitting on a bench somewhere. If they told her something when she was sitting on a bench, that might have been worth a little media attention.

Yes, you have the right to breastfeed anywhere in TX. But stores have the right to ask a customer to move if they're somewhere that puts them at risk or is disruptive to the other shoppers. Just like if you decided to breastfeed in the middle of a street, a police officer would not be infringing on your rights if he asked you to move.

Wow I didnt know that. Yeah why would she be sitting on the floor? Thats just weird. I would have told her to move too. Very strange.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I wondered about that. Sitting on the floor in my local Target would definitely invite getting banged into by a cart being steered by someone on their phone paying no attention to anyone (or anything) else.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:

If they had asked her to move due to safety concerns, I could understand but the fact is, they asked her to move because she was breastfeeding.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So you do believe that all those babies were hungry at the same time? Moms here always insist breastfeeding is so discreet ("I didn't show an inch of skin! Nobody even knew!"). Right? So you either have a bunch of moms who appear to be doing nothing but holding their babies, which doesn't really "raise awareness," or a bunch of moms being provocative and confrontational, which doesn't really help with public sympathy.
No, the babies are not all hungry at the same time. Not all the moms are nursing at the same time either.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
If they had asked her to move due to safety concerns, I could understand but the fact is, they asked her to move because she was breastfeeding.
The point is, if she had been breastfeeding in a safer location, it probably would not have attracted anyone's attention. When's the last time you've seen an adult customer sitting on the floor in a store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting