Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

I was so sad to see this story on the news. Why are kids so evil to other kids?? And it's not "mean", it's pure evil to torment someone the way they tormented this girl until she couldn't take it anymore and committed suicide. Even when she was lying in critical care in the hospital, these cretins were leaving nasty facebook messages.

I hope her uncle will convince the DAs office to press some kind of charges.

Amanda Diane Cummings, Staten Island girl killed in bus accident, carried suicide note - NYPOST.com

I hope the parents of these kids will realize what rotten monsters they've raised and do something about it before they push another young person to commit suicide.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
That's awful. Apparently the bullies were posting nasty comments to her facebook wall while she lay dying in the hospital. How can these teens live with themselves?

Staten Island teen dies after being struck by bus | SILive.com

Quote:
Miss Cummings' uncle, Keith, yesterday railed against the bullies, who he claims picked on her at school, mocked her and took her phone, shoes and jacket.

Keith Cummings said he's even seen inappropriate remarks posted to her Facebook profile as she lay in the hospital.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Ive said it once, ill say it again we can have 50 billion anti–bullying messages on tv, 20 billion anti–bullying newscasts but unless the schools actually start enforcing the "zero–tolerance" policies that they claim to have, kids will get bullied and there will be school mass shootings and suicides

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Ive said it once, ill say it again we can have 50 billion anti–bullying messages on tv, 20 billion anti–bullying newscasts but unless the schools actually start enforcing the "zero–tolerance" policies that they claim to have, kids will get bullied and there will be school mass shootings and suicides
You're wrong....
Unless PARENTS start raising their kids to not bully and not tolerate the behavior once it starts then the suicides and shootings will still occur.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You're wrong....
Unless PARENTS start raising their kids to not bully and not tolerate the behavior once it starts then the suicides and shootings will still occur.
I totally agree with this. You will never stop the bullies and although they claim this is like something new, it most certainly isn't but yes, the internet does cause it to be more devastating. Parents are going to have to teach their children how to deal with the behavior of others because you are not going to change other people's kids. Everyday, there are more of "them" than there are of "us". Gosh, I was bullied for a list of reasons and I'm still here more than 50 years later and actually, still being bullied for my attitudes, etc. Instill self-esteem. I taught both of my boys to be independent of needing the admiration or approval of anyone as long as they were doing the "right" thing and it worked! Keep in mind that the parents of the bullies are, I think, more often than not, bullies themselves - learned behavior. Teach your children to be strong as it is a cruel world and it extends into adulthood!

Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I think it's a combination. The parents have to raise their offspring to be respectful and compassionate. The schools have to reinforce that since kids are there 6-8 hours per day.

The "zero tolerance" thing the schools always preach is the biggest bunch of bull I've ever heard. Where was the "zero tolerance" when her shoes, phone, and jacket were stolen?? Where was the "zero tolerance" when these bastords were taunting and teasing and harassing her in the hallways?

I just cannot believe we lost yet another beautiful child to suicide because of bullying.

Parents really need to wake the frig up and open their eyes and realize what their kids are doing.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You're wrong....
EXACTLY. Do your jobs, people. There's no way these people don't know their kids are monsters.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I bet every person who has attended public school has been bullied at least once. If it happens outside of school, can the school even get involved? I don't want to let bullies off the hook for their behavior, but I also don't like that teenage suicides are (seemingly) automatically linked to bullying. Everyone has been bullied, and everyone has also probably bullied someone at some point. There is something else going on that makes teenagers kill themselves. In some cases, it could be the frequency or extent of the bullying. In other cases, I don't think it is, or at least that's not all there is.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I bet every person who has attended public school has been bullied at least once. If it happens outside of school, can the school even get involved? I don't want to let bullies off the hook for their behavior, but I also don't like that teenage suicides are (seemingly) automatically linked to bullying. Everyone has been bullied, and everyone has also probably bullied someone at some point. There is something else going on that makes teenagers kill themselves. In some cases, it could be the frequency or extent of the bullying. In other cases, I don't think it is, or at least that's not all there is.

^this. I was bullied in school. Very badly. But not once did I think of taking my own life or anyone elses for that matter. I did cut myself and my mom got me therapy for it but I think there has to be something else to most of the stories.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If it happens outside of school, can the school even get involved?
At the middle school where my friend teaches, yes, the school IS supposed to get involved even when bullying between two students
happens OUTside of the school and schoolday.

Which is ridiculous.

I agree that parents have to take responsibility for the monsters they are raising
but
also think there's something to be said for the bullied having been able to deal with bullies themselves in the past. (Think Ralphie in "A Christmas Story").
Now a kid is not supposed to protect themselves, which is so wrong.
My kids know they are not to start with anyone, but if they need to defend themselves
they are free to do so.
The school may suspend them or whatever, but we will support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.