Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM

56 posts, read 45,304 times

Advertisements

I fought about this issue with my mom when I was a kid and on my 18th bd I went to the mall and had it done at a jewelry shop. I swore this wouldn't be a point of contention if I ever had my own daughter and it wasn't.

She wanted it when she was 11 so we went to the mall but she chickened out. Then she went back at age 13 and had it done. She had a friend put in another hole at a slumber party in high school. She had her cartilage, eyebrow and nose pierced over the years at various places, including a high end tattoo parlor (where she also got a tattoo). Now in her late 20's, she has let all the holes close up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I would NOT take my Daughter to have her ears pierced. Period.

We did have that discussion, though, when some other little girls were doing it. That made a nice moment for discussing Peer Pressure, Downward Assimilation, and why people do illogical things.
People do all kinds of things I wouldn't call logical. The one and only thing I have from my dying grandmother is a pair of diamond earrings. I'd like to be able to wear them. I wouldn't call that downward assimilation.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,941 times
When my daughter was a baby, we went to the Pediatrician to get her ears pierced. Unfortunately, her earrings wouldn't stay on for a long period of time. So eventually her earlobe holes closed. When she was around 5/6, we took her to Claire's. She has been wearing earrings ever since

Old 02-20-2012, 08:42 PM

108 posts, read 389,824 times
I took my then 7.5 year old to a professional piercer when she decided she wanted her ears pierced. I have 2 sets of holes from a Clarie's type of place and another 3 sets that I did myself as a teen. For 15 years now I have only used the first set, all the other piercings have never healed and still give me trouble to this day. My daughter has never had issues with her piercings.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The same could be said for a multitude of fashion trends. Wearing high heeled shoes does permanently damage feet, getting boob jobs, etc. It's really a matter of how far each individual is prepared to go isn't it?
Yes, but some people don't like any of those things. Pierced ears, high heels, and definitely boob jobs are no gos in our house. They can do those things when they move out if they want to.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yes, but some people don't like any of those things. Pierced ears, high heels, and definitely boob jobs are no gos in our house. They can do those things when they move out if they want to.
That's what I say. When you're 18 pierce and tattoo away! Your body is your business, not mine. I'm not going to be a party to something you might regret later, that's permanent. I wish I hadn't adorned my body with tattoos and piercings, I would love to take it all away at this point. My earlobe had to have surgery when I was older due to an infection in it while I was prego and my tats are just ugly now and in all the wrong places. You live and you learn, but my kids can learn that on their own, without me present.
Despite her mom, my 19 year old has yet to get her ears pierced. She now doesn't see the importance of it, she likes an unscathed body. Glad I didn't take her out to do it when she was 12, it's not like she could remove those holes in her ears later she could only remove the earrings.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
I got my ears pierced by my doctor when I was 15. He used a v needle and pushed it through to a cork, twisting as it went through. He said he never saw anyone bleed so much from their earlobes. I had 14 Kt gold little ball earrings that were to stay in until healed. He had me clean them each day with peroxide. I'm in my 60's now and the holes have never closed, and I've never had trouble putting my earrings in. My DIL thought about having our granddaughter's ears pierced when she was an infant, but decided to wait. My DIL's ears were pierced when she was a baby. She has had no problems with them as far as I know. Pierced ears have long been a socially acceptable form of body alteration.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
That's what I say. When you're 18 pierce and tattoo away! Your body is your business, not mine. I'm not going to be a party to something you might regret later, that's permanent. I wish I hadn't adorned my body with tattoos and piercings, I would love to take it all away at this point. My earlobe had to have surgery when I was older due to an infection in it while I was prego and my tats are just ugly now and in all the wrong places. You live and you learn, but my kids can learn that on their own, without me present.
Despite her mom, my 19 year old has yet to get her ears pierced. She now doesn't see the importance of it, she likes an unscathed body. Glad I didn't take her out to do it when she was 12, it's not like she could remove those holes in her ears later she could only remove the earrings.
I see a huge difference between ear piercing, and tattooing or piercing other body parts. I don't see the harm in a simple ear pierce, but I also don't see the point in taking a 5 year old, or even worse, a baby to have her ears pierced. I have no problem with a young teen doing it though.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I see a huge difference between ear piercing, and tattooing or piercing other body parts. I don't see the harm in a simple ear pierce, but I also don't see the point in taking a 5 year old, or even worse, a baby to have her ears pierced. I have no problem with a young teen doing it though.
Just because you're use to it. Otherwise there is no clinical difference to piercing ones skin, anywhere, with a few private exceptions. I think that's just social acceptance, that's all. We are more likely as a society to be ok with holes in ears and less ok with holes in nose, lip, belly button or eyebrow. That is starting to change though, the more we do it, the more accepted it is. I have no problem with my kids when they are 18 getting piercings or tattoos. Just on their time and money, not mine. I have them everywhere, I just want them to make sure themselves that they want those things as adults. I want them to know they made the decision, not me. I didn't circumcise my son either, he can do that when he is 18 or after as well if he wants to. Just going over this one on another thread.
It's just my personal opinion though, I don't look down on other moms for taking them to get their kids ears done for goodness sakes, they're free to make that choice and if you saw me you wouldn't ever know this was my stance, believe me. After years on the road in a alternative rock band, I look like I would have my infant covered in full body tats! lol No biggy, just my preference for my kids. I give them to society just how I got them, no holes or ink.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-21-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Just because you're use to it. Otherwise there is no clinical difference to piercing ones skin, anywhere. I think that's just social acceptance, that's all. We are more likely as a society to be ok with holes in ears and less ok with holes in nose, lip, belly button or eyebrow.
Well, social acceptance, and the fact that a tiny hole in each ear is a tiny hole in each ear. It isn't a tattoo or a hole in your lip or nose or eyebrow. When I look at people, I don't notice dots on their ears. I might notice a dot from a piercing on their actual face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting