Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
So because you and other people know every child in the world, we should all use one way or another to discipline them. I didn't know that, but thanks for letting me know.
All I asked is if you really believe spanking is ever truly necessary, looking at how a child is raised from birth. And how you know when it is "necessary" for your child.

Quote:
BTW, If you think that spanking is hitting, then that's where we disagree on. I don't believe that spanking is hitting (or child abuse (when spanking is used with wrong intention, then it is child abuse)
I don't refer to it as child abuse, but it most certainly is hitting

Quote:
and no, it's not because I'm 'messed up' in the head that I see it differently. My father may have spanked me in the wrong way (using hangers), but he never beat the crap out of me just so I will 'listen' to him.
First off, I personally never said you are "messed up". And second, that is quite the low standard ("My dad didn't beat the crap out of me just to get me to listen") Not that I'm saying your dad abused you, but lots of truly abusive parents don't outright clobber their children repeatedly or with full force. Something not being the worst does not make it good.

Quote:
When spanking is used with good intention and love, then yes, I approve. When it is used in a correct way, then yes, spanking can be effective.
Lots of things can be effective, including all-out child abuse. But, like child abuse, spanking comes with a variety of risks, particularly of it increasing aggression. And that's regardless of whether it's used with good intention or love. Neither of these abstract ideas can magically neutralize the potential negative effects. Children learn from what they see, what is done, not what's inside their parent's head while it's taking place.

Quote:
If you think that spanking is bad over here, have you ever been to Asia?
Something not being the worst does not make it good. The whole "That's nothin'. Where I come from..." attitude is just dumb. It's simple: Some of us are trying to improve on things in more than a slower than molasses kind of way. People who used to get hit with switches and now hit their kids with belts are leaving it all to evolution, a slow, automatic sort of improvement.

Then, there are intellectuals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Something not being the worst does not make it good.
This.

Quote:
Lots of things can be effective,
I ask myself, effective at WHAT.

Quote:
Something not being the worst does not make it good. The whole "That's nothin'. Where I come from..." attitude is just dumb.
It is worse than dumb. It is the insideous cycle, similar to the cycle of abuse (I use that word with trepidation lest I hear the cries of IT'S NOT ABUSE!), in which the people who were struck as a disciplinary measure defend it lest they have to fear some kind of weirdness in themselves as a result of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting