Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Maybe its not wanting to tolerate the event sober?
I bet some of you have a mother or MIL that you drink around because it makes her seem not so bad.

That brings to mind BIL who's discretely smuggled a container of alcohol to most family get togethers (not kids' birthday parties, though). He's uncomfortable around his parents and some of the other uber-religious family members. There are occasions when I've taken a swig, too. There was always a "barrier of disapproval" (not just drinking, but not being "saved" or becoming a member of the "church") where nothing was said, but you could just feel it. I, as a rule, don't serve it when they are going to be there. Why make waves? In recent years, family members have been marrying outside the "church" (like DH did with me),or leaving it, and some of the really judgmental elderly ones have passed away.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-02-2012 at 02:20 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 03:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Boring is a state of mind. Since I enjoy conversing with other adults, I don't find it boring.

Bands and dancing are fun and fine, but they aren't the only kind of fun. Also, if the band is too loud, you can't hear people when you want to talk, so I kind of prefer soft music rather than the loud stuff that people play nowadays to dance to.

"Entertainment" at these receptions is mostly religion-based "sermonettes" on marriage given by various people and clergy, interspersed with a soloist singing a suitably religious song. It's like sitting in church for an hour and a half. If I went off to talk to someone instead of listening to it, I'd be considered rude.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If you constantly need a reason to drink- maybe you have a problem...and maybe your own pleasures are stronger than your parental instincts?
Sigh. If you constantly need a reason to drink, yes you probably do have a problem. If you have a couple of drinks at a party, even a children's party where alcohol is being served - geez, even if you have a few too many on occasion, you are probably just human, and enjoy a social drink. The majority of people can, and do, and don't have a problem.

This kind of post only diminishes the serious issue some people do have with alcohol. But those people are actually pretty rare, the problem certainly extends beyond kids' parties, and it's unlikely that anyone participating in this thread has anything like that kind of issue.

Throwing around that kind of statement about responsible social drinkers is silly. You shouldn't have to defend having a drink at a party.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Sigh. If you constantly need a reason to drink, yes you probably do have a problem. If you have a couple of drinks at a party, even a children's party where alcohol is being served - geez, even if you have a few too many on occasion, you are probably just human, and enjoy a social drink. The majority of people can, and do, and don't have a problem.

This kind of post only diminishes the serious issue some people do have with alcohol. But those people are actually pretty rare, the problem certainly extends beyond kids' parties, and it's unlikely that anyone participating in this thread has anything like that kind of issue.

Throwing around that kind of statement about responsible social drinkers is silly. You shouldn't have to defend having a drink at a party.
Agreed!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
I think it's more of a case of, if you drink you'll serve, if you don't you don't usually think about it. Not always but I have found this to be the case.
I don't because I don't drink and it's expensive and I don't get into socializing that way. I only have an occasional kids bday party, no other parties, so it would be odd for me to serve drinks at it.
Some people have more social gathering for all, including bday parties, they drink, they offer drinks at all of the parties. No biggy.
I don't mind going to these because I can leave when needed. I don't like having them because I can't. Just my personal preference. This has to do with my circle of friends. They can drink, and I mean they can really drink. lol It's expensive and takes most parties into the night. A kids bday wouldn't be any kind of deterrent.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
From how you've described your social circle I would say that is not representative or typical of most adults past their twenties. I see now why you're not getting where most people are coming from. Most people outgrow that.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
From how you've described your social circle I would say that is not representative or typical of most adults past their twenties. I see now why you're not getting where most people are coming from. Most people outgrow that.
I am realizing this.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsterrufus View Post
sigh. If you constantly need a reason to drink, yes you probably do have a problem. If you have a couple of drinks at a party, even a children's party where alcohol is being served - geez, even if you have a few too many on occasion, you are probably just human, and enjoy a social drink. The majority of people can, and do, and don't have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjulia View Post
agreed!
x2

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
It depends if there are other adults there...but even so...we had a Halloween party a few years ago, for the kids...a few adults came over too, dressed up. They all had cokes. We did not offer alcohol.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You're right! I have friends that are "drinkers"
They drink almost everyday, not drunks but just drinkers. They have well over a few drinks at parties. They drink at home almost daily. They also have jobs, families and are nice people.
I just thought people on here might at least know these people. You know, the drinkers. Not the occasional beer at an event. Drinkers, they buy cases at Cosco, those people.
My dad was like that until.... he deteriorated into alcoholism when my mom died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting