Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Kind of hard to determine how alcohol affects different people. No adult should be allowed to drink then drive,especially with a child in the car.

it really IS your business. As it is the business of any adult there. OMG--jello shots to teens............speechless!!!
Hey jello is teenager friendly...
And depends on what you put in it.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Kind of hard to determine how alcohol affects different people. No adult should be allowed to drink then drive,especially with a child in the car.

it really IS your business. As it is the business of any adult there. OMG--jello shots to teens............speechless!!!
Well, if anything happens to any of them, it will be the legal business of the homeowner.

A young high school girl passed out and died at a house party some years ago in the town near where I lived after consuming jello shots. It turned out she had some kind of previously-unknown heart defect, so she didn't die from alcohol poisoning as had first been thought, but the fact remained that the dumb-ass parents who had allowed underage kids to consume alcohol and jello shots in their house because they wanted so much for their kiddies and their kiddies' friends to think they were cool. Anyway, they ended up in court charged with all sorts of things. You never know what's going to happen when you allow kids to drink in your house, but if something does happen--even if it's completely out of your control, like an unknown heart defect--you're in deep doo doo.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if anything happens to any of them, it will be the legal business of the homeowner.

A young high school girl passed out and died at a house party some years ago in the town near where I lived after consuming jello shots. It turned out she had some kind of previously-unknown heart defect, so she didn't die from alcohol poisoning as had first been thought, but the fact remained that the dumb-ass parents who had allowed underage kids to consume alcohol and jello shots in their house because they wanted so much for their kiddies and their kiddies' friends to think they were cool. Anyway, they ended up in court charged with all sorts of things. You never know what's going to happen when you allow kids to drink in your house, but if something does happen--even if it's completely out of your control, like an unknown heart defect--you're in deep doo doo.
^this--true^

Old 04-28-2012, 04:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
^this--true^
Bleh I can only edit and I posted in the wrong thread.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't hate drinking. I just take a level headed approach to the subject.
I won't let myself get addicted.
You can fight genetics.
Whoa, really? Do you know anything about genetics at all?

You can do some things that will help you to defeat diseases, but the genetic predisposition means that you need to take precautions against what your genes give you.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Coming from a family of alcoholics, I've never drank in my entrie life. i also refuse to allow it in my house. Some one who bases their attendance at parties on the presence/absence of alcohol needs to evaluate their friendship/relationship with the host(s). Anyone who can't have a good time without alcohol and/or feels the need to sneak alcohol into a dry party should seriously consider professional help.
I don't recall anyone saying that they base their attendance at parties on whether alcohol will be served. I also do not recall anyone stating that they were sneaking alcohol into parties.

How did you even come up with this comment?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
because they will then be driving and have children in the car and possibly kill someone else and their children

Crickeys...............what's UP with everyone needing alcohol??
Have a coke and a smile
I must have missed the post where people are saying that they NEED alcohol. Can you find it for me?

When I go out with the girls we hire a limo and driver if we are drinking. It costs $300 + tip for 5 hours/10 people. If we have a party most couples decide who will drive before they even leave the house.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I must have missed the post where people are saying that they NEED alcohol. Can you find it for me?

When I go out with the girls we hire a limo and driver if we are drinking. It costs $300 + tip for 5 hours/10 people. If we have a party most couples decide who will drive before they even leave the house.
I know! I misssed that one too. Funny how when the subject of alcohol comes up, people immediately jump to people getting drunk at a kid's party, so addicted to alcohol that they can't go 2.5 hours without it, getting "drunk and stupid," sneaking alcohol in, basing alcohol being served on whether or not to attend, etc. It seems beyond the realm of possibility for some that some adults do drink responsibly and don't drink to become intoxicated, and that alcohol is no more of a necessity than juice or soda. If only necessary things were at a kid's party, then what would be there? Nothing at all.

Alcohol consumption simply isn't that big a deal for us. I drink on occasion, even with my daughter present. She knows all drinks aren't for children, she has never seen me drunk, or even tipsy, and she has never even asked to taste it. She's never seen anyone drink too much, even at family gatherings. On occasion, she even has had her own "kiddie cocktail." If I threw a party at our home and I offered the other adults a beer or wine, more than likely they would sip that one drink then go home. I've never in my entire life seen anyone become incapacitated on one beer or one glass of wine. If I went to someone else's birthday party where adults were drinking, I certainly wouldn't feel the need to swoop my dd away from the party, anymore than I would decide to leave if they didn't have alcohol. Either way, it's really not a big deal to me.

No child should be around drunk or out of control adults, but I honestly don't feel like I need to protect my dd from every single thing, including normal ADULT consumption.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No you don't. Have enough self restraint, that is. If you do happen to have the alcohol dependency gene, or whatever it is, then self restraint means bupkiss, my dear.

It can take years and years to "be an alcoholic". It doesn't happen overnight, and it may not happen until a lot later in life. It's an insidious horrible thing that creeps up on people, and they often don't realize what's going on until the horse is out of the barn and off down the street.

I'm not surprised to hear you think it's all weakminded bull****, but I could introduce you to a lot of people who've accomplished a lot more in life than you and yet still fell prey to addiction. I can assure you that weakminded is not on their list of traits.

So be very careful. Regardless of your youthful posturing, you are not immune, and if it runs in your family, it could certainly happen to you.
There is noone more sanctimonious than a dry drunk. So....Europeans drink wine like water. Is that a whole continent of alcoholics?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:34 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
because they will then be driving and have children in the car and possibly kill someone else and their children

Crickeys...............what's UP with everyone needing alcohol??
Have a coke and a smile
Coke is full of sugar, which leads to diabetes. Have a glass of water. Make sure it's purified water, tap water is full of toxic chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting