Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times

Advertisements

Condoms suddenly being available isn't going to make teens have sex.
They aren't going to be like "Oh, condoms at proms, hmm I think ill have sex."
But the kids who plan on having sex on Prom night are usually the ones who are in relationships and that condom could either mean graduating not pregnant and graduating pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
I don't neccessarily believe providing a "bowl of condoms" will cause a teen to have sex. For those teens who were taught differently I don't think it makes a difference at all. I mean there are other ways to obtain condoms if they want it.

I personally never thought about teaching my children abstinence as a method of "birth control." It was more due to issues of morality(for lack of a better term) or the possible emotional and physical ramifications of sex that I feel children/teens aren't equipped to handle.

When I discuss sex with my child I speak of the whole spectrum; abstinence until marriage--the reasons why I feel it's best, in addition to what would/could happen if they choose not to wait and how to protect themselves if they choose not to. And it's a fair discussion, no fear tactics However, I don't advocate sex before marriage by any means, nor will I! I am completely unmoved by the "teens will have sex, abstinence is unrealistic mumbo jumbo. As a parent I will provide what I believe is the best information---'cause, you know, I am the parent (I chose to have sex before marriage. I was very open with my oldest, and so was his father, about the ramifications of that decision).

If my children decide to have sex before then, knock yourself out! It's your choice and your consequence. They would have already been through the discussion of the best thing to do by their parents and they already know not to expect us aiding them in that decsion by providing them with any tools to do what we don't condone. At that point, I don't have anything to do with it!
It is unrealistic and the consequences will be shared by you as well because you are the parent.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Abstinence is definitely not a bad thing. Teaching it as the only form of birth control and STD prevention, however, most definitely is bad.
I agree, you need to go with a broad set of knowledge in this area.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:43 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
All of you realize that the areas of the country who DO teach abstinence only also have the highest rate of teen births as well, correct?

Abstinence only programs simply do not work.
I am not talking about sex ed. I am talking about putting a big bowl of condoms by the door of a formal event, which I think is a trashy thing to do. The parents here would be in an uproar, so it's not like it would happen here. Maybe that school thought something was really being solved.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I agree, you need to go with a broad set of knowledge in this area.
Certainly not the approach I will be taking.
I will just simply tell my kids that if/when THEY decide to have sex that it should be on their terms and their terms only and then I will arm them with knowledge of how to protect themselves and if my daughters ever want birth control I will get it.

It's not like I will be advocating sex but merely telling them if they decide to do so I would rather them be safe than sorry.

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am not talking about sex ed. I am talking about putting a big bowl of condoms by the door of a formal event, which I think is a trashy thing to do. The parents here would be in an uproar, so it's not like it would happen here. Maybe that school thought something was really being solved.
I don't see how it is trashy.

Again, I bring up the drinking and driving scenario. Is it trashy to have programs educating kids about it? Is it trashy to provide the numbers of cab companies in the area? Is it trashy to have lock ins so kids can't drink?

458 posts, read 611,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
It is unrealistic and the consequences will be shared by you as well because you are the parent.

It being unrealistic is an opinion you are entitled to

The consequences being shared by me is just as much of a choice(mine) as their decision to have sex

Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think the bowls could have been better placed in the bathrooms for both males and females to grab in somewhat privacy.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,659 times
I can see both sides. On the one hand, having condoms available for teens who may use them isn't going to cause harm. It's not going to make teens who weren't planning on having sex, suddenly decide to have sex but it might encourage a teen who is already planning on having sex to go ahead and use that condom. On the other hand. This is a school prom, a formal event and handing out condoms at school and at such a formal event seems like the school is overstepping it's bounds. The purpose of school is to provide an education and by passing out condoms they overstep their authority and potentially step on parent's toes. I also agree with others who stated that it's tacky to hand them out at a formal school dance.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
It being unrealistic is an opinion you are entitled to

The consequences being shared by me is just as much of a choice(mine) as their decision to have sex
It's unrealistic because almost no one does it actually. No actually it's not your choice because if your child gets an STD from it you will be the one taking them to the doctor, paying for the medicine, along with dealing with all the emotional factors over it. The same goes if she is pregnant and decides to abort, give the child up for adoption, or keep it. When it comes to children the consequences are always going to be shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting