Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Maybe the reason the schools hand out condoms is not because they believe kids can't afford them.

Maybe the schools feel the kids will be more willing to take them from school than go into a drugstore and ask for them.

well, if you are old enough to have sex, then you should be adult enough to go to a store and buy condoms.

and not have the schools supply them to you because you feel embarassed to buy them from the local drugstore, please, that falls under the catagory of Grow up already.

want to do adult things, then act like an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
well, if you are old enough to have sex, then you should be adult enough to go to a store and buy condoms.

and not have the schools supply them to you because you feel embarassed to buy them from the local drugstore, please, that falls under the catagory of Grow up already.

want to do adult things, then act like an adult.
Should and will are often worlds apart. If an immature kid is going to have sex, I'd rather him use a condom and prevent other issues.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Don't recall making that point

I did state that condoms don't cost much but don't recall stating that as rhyme and reason on behalf of the schools that provide them.
This is what I responded to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Let the teens buy their own darn condoms! You grown enough to have sex be responsible enough to protect yourself. What next? provide cigars for blunt rolling?

don't ask

Your analogy to providing cigars seemed to be an allusion to the financial aspect of the equation. If I am incorrect in my assumption, I apologize.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Should and will are often worlds apart. If an immature kid is going to have sex, I'd rather him use a condom and prevent other issues.
Then we better put a big box of free condoms in the entry way to the school. Right now all you've got is the school saying, "Go ahead and have sex after Prom! Be sure to get your free condoms. We have plenty in case everyone wants to swap."

(Personally I think it's insulting to the student body. It makes them seem like a bunch of irresponsible kids who are so horny they might just take the condom and use it before they even leave Prom.)

Old 05-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then we better put a big box of free condoms in the entry way to the school. Right now all you've got is the school saying, "Go ahead and have sex after Prom! Be sure to get your free condoms. We have plenty in case everyone wants to swap."

(Personally I think it's insulting to the student body. It makes them seem like a bunch of irresponsible kids who are so horny they might just take the condom and use it before they even leave Prom.)

I think all schools should have access to condoms for the student body. I don't see how it would be any more insulting to the kids than drivers ed, home ec, everyday math or any other effort to educate kids on life skills.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
I think all schools should have access to condoms for the student body. I don't see how it would be any more insulting to the kids than drivers ed, home ec, everyday math or any other effort to educate kids on life skills.
My point is that this isn't being done at a school that is white and middle class. (Sorry. I didn't make that clear. I'd been thinking about it during a walk.)

I'm thinking public reaction would be different if this were done at a school like New Trier that is white (I think) and upper class.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My point is that this isn't being done at a school that is white and middle class.

I'm thinking public reaction would be different if this were done at a school like New Trier that is white (I think) and upper class.
Honestly, I didn't even read the article and had no clue what type of school we were discussing.

I think condoms should be accessible at every single public high school in this country.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,615 times
Quote:
Irony:

condoms - yes
Tylenol - no

Don't get me wrong, I introduced my son to condoms when he was 14. BUT, I do recognize that not all parents feel this way. I just think it's insensitive to ignore the feelings of those parents.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Irony:

condoms - yes
Tylenol - no

Don't get me wrong, I introduced my son to condoms when he was 14. BUT, I do recognize that not all parents feel this way. I just think it's insensitive to ignore the feelings of those parents.

I think condoms and tylenol should be available. If a child has an allergic issue to latex or tylenol than I would hope the school would be privy to such information.

While I understand your point about insensitivity, I do feel teen pregnancy and STD rates among that age group trump a parent's issues with condoms being available to students. IMO, it's like vaccines - a public health issue.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think it's more like teaching gun safety. I'm sure it's a valuable tool if your child plans to use guns. But, many peple would go ballistic if you said kids were going to be discharging firearms at the local schools. So we don't offer that out of respect to those parents.
Those would be the same parents who teach nothing about sex themselves, bury their heads in the sand, and think even thought they had a sex life as a teen that their child with embrace abstinence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting