Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
School is for education and socialization. Not for providing contraceptive devices. If kids want these, they are available at any Wal-Mart, or other stores. I have not seen any teens who don't have enough money to purchase these items. Teens usually have spending money, even in low income areas.

The school crosses an ethical, and moral boundary when giving away free condoms at a prom.
It acknowledges that teens are sexually active, with no regard for the value system parents may be trying to instill in their teens about abstinence. Instead, the school blatently undermines parental values.

Besides...availability of condoms does not mean teens will use them. Teen pregnancy is not about lack of access or education about birth control. It is a complex social issue.
So that's why countries with greater access/education have a much lower birthrate than us ? And again you are correct most kids can buy them however that does not mean they will actually do that. No one is saying schools should be filled with contraceptive machines in the hallways just that access within a appropriate place is a good idea. And i'm sorry but parental rights are not absolute, and public health trumps them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
If common sense and teens don't go hand in hand, which common sense already told me then my teen can't expect a condom provided by me, in their hand or my condoning sex.

You seem to think teaching abstinence to my children may make me unapproachable, which is an opinion I could, with all due respect, care less about but is also false. I have stated my discussion with my children covers the whole spectrum which includes ways to protect themselves if they choose sex, disease, pregnancy etc. etc. but I still do not condone it. As a parent I have provided the information and made it known that they are free to discuss with me anything becasue I discuss with them everything. If they then decide not to confide in me, or at least another repsonsible relative adult, I chalk it up to teens doing "dumb things" that they'll eventually learn from
Oh well that's fine then lol . As i said before stressing abstinence but teaching about other things is fine. My worry is the parents who teach that abstinence is the only method and that's it.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
If common sense and teens don't go hand in hand, which common sense already told me then my teen can't expect a condom provided by me, in their hand or my condoning sex.

You seem to think teaching abstinence to my children may make me unapproachable, which is an opinion I could, with all due respect, care less about but is also false. I have stated my discussion with my children covers the whole spectrum which includes ways to protect themselves if they choose sex, disease, pregnancy etc. etc. but I still do not condone it. As a parent I have provided the information and made it known that they are free to discuss with me anything becasue I discuss with them everything. If they then decide not to confide in me, or at least another repsonsible relative adult, I chalk it up to teens doing "dumb things" that they'll eventually learn from
You just described what is known as "abstinence plus" education which encourages abstinence as the healthiest choice but also provides teens with information regarding contraception, STD's, etc. That type of sex ed is much more effective the abstinence only education.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:34 AM

458 posts, read 611,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Then tell you child (not that 18 year olds are children) not to take one.

Why do your personal convictions trump public safety?

The school in the OP has a sex ed program that provides condoms. Parents can opt their underage children out. Same here. So why does one parents beliefs trump the schools responsibility to all of their students?

And the only purpose of statistics is to point out the FACT that not providing condoms does not prevent teen sex.

I wouldn't have to tell my child not to take one

My post was in response to another poster not the op

Why does my personal convictions trump public safety ???

Old 05-26-2012, 10:36 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,417 times
Quote:

Right.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think it's rather sad that Prom has now become synonymous with getting overly drunk and having sex.
*NOW* ?

Are some people really this sheltered? Sex and drinking have been a part of prom since the 1940s, probably earlier. It was just less talked about then.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM

458 posts, read 611,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Oh well that's fine then lol . As i said before stressing abstinence but teaching about other things is fine. My worry is the parents who teach that abstinence is the only method and that's it.
Does this parenting choice appeal more to the masses? Darn, wasn't my intention at all!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:

Yes, the spread of STDs, particularly HIV, is a public safety issue. Would you prefer to the term public health/

Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
You'd never have something like this take place in your southern red (bible belt) states which is exactly why they have the highest rate of teen pregnancies in the country.

High School kids are nothing more than hormones in tennis shoes, and all to often parents fail to have 'that talk' with their kid(s).

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Did I really just read that sex education should come from the INTERNET?! That someone would rather that than their teens getting the truth from school blows my mind.

Also, how is sex education, contraception and STD prevention NOT a matter of public safety? Goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting