Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not in my world.
Happens every day. Widowers and divorcee's remarry all the time. While it's not the same person, the role is filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- and it makes as much sense to say that she's hanging onto this man to try and fill some void.

Also there are no more guarantees with him than there are with a child. He might get in a car accident and become paralyzed. He may be maintaining his fertility for his own reasons -- he may later meet a woman who he would like to have a family with and leave the OP for this other woman. The OP could decide to give up everything for him and end up without children or a man.

There are never guarantees in life -- but it's important not to give up all your dreams just to hang onto a relationship. Of course if she decides that having a family was really just a fleeting whim, and deep down she really never wants a child then fine -- but why should she give up what she wants most just to hold onto some man?
I said nothing of the kind. I was only responding to the poster who seems to think wanting a child means something is missing inside.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Happens every day. Widowers and divorcee's remarry all the time. While it's not the same person, the role is filled.
In a loving, happy marriage a spouse cannot be replaced. Being a husband or wife is not a "role". You don't call in Shane Falco to run out of the tunnel after half time.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-12-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Re: the bolded part. In some states, if your wife is pregnant, it doesn't matter who the bio father is, the state regards the husband as the legal father.

I don't think they're married. The OP didn't state specifically. Just that she's "with" this guy.
Correct. I know a man who married a divorced woman after dating her only a few months. She was pregnant, and they married early in the pregnancy. Just before her due date she confessed that the baby was really her first husband's, and that they'd decided to reconcile. She gave birth before the divorce went through, so the baby was legally her husband's, even though he was not the biological father. This man had to go to court and sign the rights away to "his" baby along with the divorce papers. New York State, about 30 years ago.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Even if the fatherhood is easily disproven due to in vitro records? Or being a step-parent? I don't know, I'm really asking.
Unless they've changed the law to accommodate modern science, in most states a child born within a marriage is legally the child of the man the mother is married to, period.

Edit: I see other people said similar, sorry. Should have read ahead.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I said nothing of the kind. I was only responding to the poster who seems to think wanting a child means something is missing inside.
Actually I was agreeing with you -- it's unfair to speculate or put down anyone else's reasons for wanting something. Wanting a child is no more about filling a void than is wanting a boyfriend or husband -- or girlfriend or wife.

If the OP wants a child, there is no reason for others to put her down for that or belittle her reasons for wanting a child.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Actually I was agreeing with you -- it's unfair to speculate or put down anyone else's reasons for wanting something. Wanting a child is no more about filling a void than is wanting a boyfriend or husband -- or girlfriend or wife.

If the OP wants a child, there is no reason for others to put her down for that or belittle her reasons for wanting a child.
Agreed. Sorry I didn't understand the first time.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Quote:
Women don't cause an "oops" by themselves. It really does take two to tango when it comes to having a child.
You obviously have a very narrow view. There are many instances where a woman has manipulated in order to achieve pregnancy. It only takes one to deceive the other. There are many occasions that women manipulate, forcefully acquire body fluids or even rape (even that has happened) to achieve pregnancy. Then, they wish to pin responsibility on the man as well. That's what I disagree with. Pretty much in the American family court system at least. The man almost ALWAYS gets the shaft. It's not fair and judges for the most part truly don't give a rat's tail about the father. Then, they cloak it as "What's best for the child" like what they are doing isn't creating resentment deep down in the father who now has an axe to grind who may take out his frustration on the child (undeserved but nevertheless) and the mother (totally deserved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
And it's also downright pathetic for a fully grown man to take NO RESPONSIBILITY for his own body fluids, and where they end up.
It's downright pathetic for a man to who actually did take responsibility by trying to dispose of his body fluids yet the woman somehow takes possession of it. All I'm saying is that the female isn't someone who should be absolved in every situation. I never said men should always be absolved.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaym1977 View Post
Ok, so this requires a little back peddling so that all the info is out there. I am 34 years old and at the age of 18 I became pregnant. At that point in my life I knew that what was best for the child and for myself was to place him for adoption. Fast forward to present day; I am with the best man ever. He loves me unconditionally, is patient, kind, and just a perfect fit. About six months ago I broached the subject of having a baby. At first he stated he wasn't sure he wanted another (he is the single father to a wonderful 15 year boy) one. We agreed to revisit the subject at a later time. Recently the topic came up again and he has told me he doesn't want another child. He's 39 years old and doesn't want to be 50 with a 10 year old. He wants to enjoy what he has worked so hard for all these years. Needless to say I am devastated. I don't want to force him to have a child and I don't want to leave him. How do I cope with this information when what I want most is to be a mother. To pour more salt onto the wounds when I was 18 and leaving the hospital without my newborn son I made a very bad joke (my emotional go to is joking when I'm hurt) that I just gave up the one and only child I would ever be able to have. Any guidance in how to cope in this situation would be helpful.

This "best man ever" is putting his wants before yours. If you want a child you'll have to have it with someone else. If you don't have a child and stay with him there is the possibility you will hold it against him with bitterness forever.

You have a choice to make: pursue having a child without him; or choose to spend the rest of your life with a man who places his wants ahead of yours and the gift of a child together. It really is that simple because you cannot "force" him to make you pregnant. In fact, I'd be suprised if he doesn't follow-up quickly by having a vasectomy, if he hasn't already.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:53 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This "best man ever" is putting his wants before yours. If you want a child you'll have to have it with someone else. If you don't have a child and stay with him there is the possibility you will hold it against him with bitterness forever.

You have a choice to make: pursue having a child without him; or choose to spend the rest of your life with a man who places his wants ahead of yours and the gift of a child together. It really is that simple because you cannot "force" him to make you pregnant. In fact, I'd be suprised if he doesn't follow-up quickly by having a vasectomy, if he hasn't already.
I'm not trying to attack you but I want to understand how is he not a good man because he doesn't want a child? I find that to be a highly sensible move to not have a child when you clearly don't want it. Do you think he should just bite the bullet and have a kid. That's a major thing and someone who doesn't want children should never be coaxed into parenting. That's not fair on the parent who didn't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting