Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
. With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay.
Very few of the men in my life have ever been interested in sports. Not my grandfathers, not my father, not my brother, not my husband, not my father-in-law and not my son. none were or are gay. They just aren't into sports..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
They wouldn't have been accused of being gay for not displaying alpha-male characteristics. With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay. Guys could also be closer with their guy friends without being accused of being in a homosexual relationship, while today two straight guys can't go to a nice restaurant together and if they go to a movie they have to leave an empty seat between them. The truth is not every guy who shows feminine characteristics is gay, and not every gay guy is feminine. I knew a guy who was not into sports, watched Glee, had a high pitched voice, and looked very boyish (sometimes a stereotypical sign of homosexuality) and he was completely straight. He is now married to a woman.
That's the problem with labels and assumptions, totally without merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
One of the many unintended consequences of the homosexualist movement has been the decline of straight male friendships. Another has been the rise of hyper-masculinity and the marginalization of ordinary men as you describe.
Hmm, since the first documented homosexual relationship was Khnumhotep and Niankhkhnum, an Egyptian male couple, who lived around the 2400 BCE, what era are you referring to exactly?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
They wouldn't have been accused of being gay for not displaying alpha-male characteristics. With the increased acceptance of homosexuality has come increased pressure from society for any boy who differs from the norm (not into sports, etc) to come out as gay. Guys could also be closer with their guy friends without being accused of being in a homosexual relationship, while today two straight guys can't go to a nice restaurant together and if they go to a movie they have to leave an empty seat between them. The truth is not every guy who shows feminine characteristics is gay, and not every gay guy is feminine. I knew a guy who was not into sports, watched Glee, had a high pitched voice, and looked very boyish (sometimes a stereotypical sign of homosexuality) and he was completely straight. He is now married to a woman.
You accuse people of being serial killers, you don't accuse people of being gay. Being gay is not a crime.

We do realize that not all gay men are effeminate. If you know someone, there can be other signs. Or not. The stereotypical gay man is just that. Regardless, thinking someone is gay is not a slight against them or a judgment against their character. Not in my world anyway. I couldn't care less either way.

I also don't know anyone who's so shallow that they'd assume a dude is with a dude romantically solely because they eat dinner together. And again, so what if they are?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That's the problem with labels and assumptions, totally without merit.

Hmm, since the first documented homosexual relationship was Khnumhotep and Niankhkhnum, an Egyptian male couple, who lived around the 2400 BCE, what era are you referring to exactly?
Zimbochick FTW!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Guys could also be closer with their guy friends without being accused of being in a homosexual relationship, while today two straight guys can't go to a nice restaurant together and if they go to a movie they have to leave an empty seat between them.
Simple solution: be secure in who you are and sit where ever you darn well please. What do you care what someone else thinks?

You do know that 40 years ago gay men had to stay in the closet for fear of having the **** kicked out of them by overly testosteroned, homophobic males. Gays should now go back in the closet and not live their lives because you can't sit next to your buddy in the theater?

If you had a gay son would you tell him to deny who he is so other men could go to out to eat together? Or would you support him and accept him for who he is?

Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
This has got to be the single dumbest thing i have ever read on here. Are you actually saying the occasional person who might accidentally be labeled gay suffers the same as homosexuals did 40 years ago? I also don't know ANYONE who was labeled gay for the reasons you stated.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
This has got to be the single dumbest thing i have ever read on here. Are you actually saying the occasional person who might accidentally be labeled gay suffers the same as homosexuals did 40 years ago? I also don't know ANYONE who was labeled gay for the reasons you stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You accuse people of being serial killers, you don't accuse people of being gay. Being gay is not a crime.

We do realize that not all gay men are effeminate. If you know someone, there can be other signs. Or not. The stereotypical gay man is just that. Regardless, thinking someone is gay is not a slight against them or a judgment against their character. Not in my world anyway. I couldn't care less either way.

I also don't know anyone who's so shallow that they'd assume a dude is with a dude romantically solely because they eat dinner together. And again, so what if they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Simple solution: be secure in who you are and sit where ever you darn well please. What do you care what someone else thinks?

You do know that 40 years ago gay men had to stay in the closet for fear of having the **** kicked out of them by overly testosteroned, homophobic males. Gays should now go back in the closet and not live their lives because you can't sit next to your buddy in the theater?

If you had a gay son would you tell him to deny who he is so other men could go to out to eat together? Or would you support him and accept him for who he is?
I don't think you all are familiar with culture in the rural South. It's very different down here than it is on the West Coast or the Northeast or even more urban locations in the South.

I never said gays should go back in the closet for the reasons stated, but what I am saying is certain things have been lost in the cultural transformation of the past 40 years. Down here, the last thing anybody wants is to be perceived as gay and will go out of their way to put on a hyper-masculine image. Its quite common to have your sexuality questioned in high school if you don't play football or basketball, or aren't married by the age of 21, or heaven forbid aren't into driving to Memphis to spend $600 at a strip club on a weekend.

40 years ago was much, much worse if you actually were gay but society as a whole wasn't hung up on it like it is now so guys had a little more freedom in certain areas.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I also don't know ANYONE who was labeled gay for the reasons you stated.
Then you must live in a bubble. This happens all the time. Ask the next public schooled 16 year old boy you talk to. He knows all about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, please.

Guys are still hanging out with each other in the man cave watching sports, drinking beer, spilling chips, belching loudly and yelling at the TV because they know more than the coach.
Yes, and this is the ONLY socialization straight men are allowed to have. Want to go to the symphony with your buddy? That's pretty gay and at least in my area you'll be lucky if you don't lose some teeth simply for asking them. Want to go out to eat? You better like Mickey D's because if you ask them to go anywhere nice questions will be asked. One time I lost a friend due to asking him to go have sushi, because guys don't go to that type of restaurant with other guys.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Then you must live in a bubble. This happens all the time. Ask the next public schooled 16 year old boy you talk to. He knows all about it.
No i dare say i'm not and interact with more teenagers/young adults day to day than you do in a month. And never have i ever heard them suffering because someone perceived them to be gay due to some of the reasons listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting