Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times

Advertisements

Long story short...I am taking my son and going to the homeless shelter. I just really have no other choice. I can't stay where I am any longer. 5 weeks in hell has already taken a toll on everyone. What is it really like to stay in a shelter with kids? When I was homeless before I just slept out until I found a seasonal job that needed someone right away. The last straw was when my mother threatened to call the police if I dared take my son to the homeless shelter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Long story short...I am taking my son and going to the homeless shelter. I just really have no other choice. I can't stay where I am any longer. 5 weeks in hell has already taken a toll on everyone. What is it really like to stay in a shelter with kids? When I was homeless before I just slept out until I found a seasonal job that needed someone right away. The last straw was when my mother threatened to call the police if I dared take my son to the homeless shelter.
How about places that specifically help women with children vs. traditional homeless shelters? You really have to consider the safety issue.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
How do we know operaphantom2003 is a woman?

"Phantom of the Opera" in the Opera was a male...

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
My friend went to homeless shelter and they were able to hook her up to some advocacy group that really helped her get back on her feet, for which she eternally grateful. But I don't think all homeless shelters are the same. Do you know what your local one will offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
How do we know operaphantom2003 is a woman?

"Phantom of the Opera" in the Opera was a male...
She posted before. Honestly we don't know other than what posters tell us; We know that that this particular poster's been through some hard time and that she's a struggling mother trying to make most of it.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Can you leave your son with your mother?

Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Around here there are specific shelters for mothers with minor children. I haven't ever had to stay in one, but have assisted with fund raising. Besides offering a roof and meals (up to 6 months), they have job placement services too. That's what you want to look for in a shelter.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
So what's "hell"? You fighting with your mother? Her being controlling? If that's hell half the country is kinda hot.

Wow. I'm stunned you would even consider taking your child to live in a homeless shelter unless it was absolutely necessary. (And absolutely necessary means you are on the streets, in danger, there's snow on the ground and your son has nothing to eat. Not hating living with Mom.)

Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
OMG!! My mother is nuts! I just got back to her apartment from picking up my son from school and she wrote me a note saying a bunch of bs including "I never was a part YOUR family in your eyes" and "Don't ever tell people I kicked you out because I would never do that".....um, you just told me that I was not welcome to stay any longer but that (my) son would not be allowed to leave and live in a homeless shelter or else she would call the cops on me. Why can she not see that I have a family of my own now and its different then her and I being a family? When I say I have to take care of my family she thinks I am referring to her and not my son. This is ridiculous. I stay in the bedroom as long as I am in the apartment, only coming out to use the bathroom, cook, get to the front door and if she says "come watch some tv...I don't want to monopolize it". She gets furious when my son makes "too much noise", "doesn't listen", "doesn't do as he's told", etc. She butts in when him and I are "discussing things" like him brushing his teeth, doing his homework, not hitting, etc. Then I tell her to butt out and she goes off on me telling me that she lives there and IS involved and blah blah blah. No, she is not involved...she is his grandmother, not his mother! Then her and I will get into it sometimes when he is at school because she will start going off on him telling him he has "anger issues", "what is wrong with you", "you need to get tested", "are you three or something", "do you want me to get me belt"....well, she has no right to say those things to him!

It has killed me all day thinking that I will not be walking him to school, picking him, up, and seeing him everyday. Either I take him with and we go be homeless always thinking she is going to call the cops or I leave him here with her. That would kill me. I am already in hell and hate the thought of being without him. I already feel horrible about being unemployed and losing our apartment because I really did think I would be able to find a job in 5 months of daily looking and interviewing. I would never hurt him but really do wonder if he would be better off without me around to drag him down. I wish I could make everything better.

He's lost interest in his toys and favorite things. He says he wishes I would die. He says he wishes he would die. This month has been very hard on him. He finally opened up to the school counselor and I knew this was getting to him. I hate myself for doing this to him. Nothing I do is right anymore.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Even as a homeless mother, you still have rights as a parent. Your mom is just making threats. I don't think living with her would be worth it.

What city do you live in? If you can, you should find a family shelter like this one near my hometown:

Safe Haven

Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
OMG!! My mother is nuts! I just got back to her apartment from picking up my son from school and she wrote me a note saying a bunch of bs including "I never was a part YOUR family in your eyes" and "Don't ever tell people I kicked you out because I would never do that".....um, you just told me that I was not welcome to stay any longer but that (my) son would not be allowed to leave and live in a homeless shelter or else she would call the cops on me. Why can she not see that I have a family of my own now and its different then her and I being a family? When I say I have to take care of my family she thinks I am referring to her and not my son. This is ridiculous. I stay in the bedroom as long as I am in the apartment, only coming out to use the bathroom, cook, get to the front door and if she says "come watch some tv...I don't want to monopolize it". She gets furious when my son makes "too much noise", "doesn't listen", "doesn't do as he's told", etc. She butts in when him and I are "discussing things" like him brushing his teeth, doing his homework, not hitting, etc. Then I tell her to butt out and she goes off on me telling me that she lives there and IS involved and blah blah blah. No, she is not involved...she is his grandmother, not his mother! Then her and I will get into it sometimes when he is at school because she will start going off on him telling him he has "anger issues", "what is wrong with you", "you need to get tested", "are you three or something", "do you want me to get me belt"....well, she has no right to say those things to him!

It has killed me all day thinking that I will not be walking him to school, picking him, up, and seeing him everyday. Either I take him with and we go be homeless always thinking she is going to call the cops or I leave him here with her. That would kill me. I am already in hell and hate the thought of being without him. I already feel horrible about being unemployed and losing our apartment because I really did think I would be able to find a job in 5 months of daily looking and interviewing. I would never hurt him but really do wonder if he would be better off without me around to drag him down. I wish I could make everything better.

He's lost interest in his toys and favorite things. He says he wishes I would die. He says he wishes he would die. This month has been very hard on him. He finally opened up to the school counselor and I knew this was getting to him. I hate myself for doing this to him. Nothing I do is right anymore.
My gosh, there are just so many issues going on at once. First thing you need to do is right your ship. Once you do that, I believe you can deal with the issues with your son. Moving out of your mother's home into a shelter may or may not be the answer. I can tell you this, I'd much rather you be in a safe women's shelter/dormitory than in a regular shelter. You've mentioned in the past that you had a hard time finding suitable employment. I do think you need to find any employment, be it retail, service, whatever. Working, at least for me, instills confidence. In turn, the confidence will resonate with your son. Kids are often amplifiers of whatever emotion their parent's feeling. If the parent is confident, content they feel a sense of security. I think that you finding employment will be on the right track. I know it's not easy in this economy, but the service industry is doing very well. Have you ever thought of perhaps office employment. All of these are "starts", not be all end all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting