Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me laugh. Growing up, my older sister was a HUGE Christmas snooper. She found presents, no matter where they were hidden, and was very good at acting surprised on Christmas morning.

One year, we all got roller skates. My sister found them, brought them out, and we all skated in the basement when our mom was out. Then my sister very cleverly cleaned off the wheels and repackaged each pair. We did this several times. On Christmas, my mom was amazed that we all knew how to skate so well. She never did find out the truth until we were all grown, and she thought it was hilarious then. To this very day, my sister can't stand secrets and surprises.

My advice? Find a better hiding spot next time, and laugh about it. Christmas is a long time to wait for a kid, and some just have unsatiable curiousity. I wouldn't get upset about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The whole locking out of the house thing seems more weirdo and sinister to me.

How do you know it was about the gifts and not something else?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Don't all kids snoop? I certainly did. One year got a new doll that was practically worn out by the time I opened the gift officially on Christmas morning. Have to say those sneaky play moments with that doll before Christmas were SO S.W.E.E.T....

Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Huh.
I never snooped as a kid.
I always wanted to know, but I really liked the surprise.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
I think the worst punishment for the child would be to leave the presents as is and now he knows what he's getting for christmas and cant play with it. His loss, not yours.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Return all the gifts and leave him just a lump of coal in his stocking .....

Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Also @13 maybe he was doing something else that he did not want to be interrupted at, thats why he locked the doors.
That's what I was thinking.

Does he have a normal amount of privacy when you're home? If he's in his room with the door shut, do you and your husband knock before you go in?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I snooped one year (about the same age) and went back to the scene of the crime because my first snooping took place early in the month of December and I knew there was more to come. When I went back for my second look, I found a letter from my mother that said she knew that I had snooped and was sorry for me because she also knew that my Christmas morning would lack the surprise element that helped to make it special other years. She hoped that I would spend the days until Christmas reflecting on what Christmas was really about and how giving and receiving were essentially gifts among people who cared for each other.

I have NEVER snooped again. Ever!!!
This is completely brilliant and your mother deserves huge kudos.

When I was eight or nine I wasn't snooping, but I can remember stumbling upon a couple of my gifts that were a bit large and my parents hadn't done a good job of hiding them away. It kind of ruined that birthday. Since then I could be out shopping with my spouse, knowing that she was buying me gifts and still make sure I had no idea what she'd purchased.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Guess whose Christmas is spoiled? Yep...that would be him! Would he TOTALLY be in deep doo doo for locking us out of the house? Oh yeah....but you know what? I had a kid who snooped, EVERY year. Not only did he snoop before we had the chance to wrap them, but one year, we got our shopping done late and took them upstairs to wrap right away. We had a Christmas program the next night and he "feigned ill". While placing our "Santa" presents under the tree, we discovered that every single present had been opened and then retaped.

The ONLY person who had been alone with those presents was him....Mr. Snoopy. Here's the real clincher....he was never able to pull off fake emotions. He was never surprised by a gift and he literally ruined every Christmas for himself through his entire teenage-hood. The other kids would be so excited by their presents. Oh, he tried, but he failed every time. How sad is that? By the time we'd wake up Christmas morning....the other kids bouncing off the wall, he'd be faking it. As his mother....I could see his regret, oozing from every pore of his body.

Your stepson just ruined his Christmas. Forget about it and know that HE is the one who is suffering already and is REALLY gonna suffer come Christmas morning.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
My four brothers were dedicated snoopers. My parents would hide the presents in their closet and lock the door. The boys picked the lock. My parents added a second lock. The boys picked that too. My parents added a padlock- the boys unscrewed the door's hinges.

One year when I was very young the boys showed me my presents too. On Christmas day I got all of my presents but one...the biggest, coolest one. So of course I eventually cracked and tried to probe about the missing gift without giving away how I knew about it. My parents set it up so they had proof of my brothers' crimes and grounded them all. I still haven't forgiven my mother for using me so cruelly as bait.

Snooping is a grand old tradition in our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting