Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know lots of people that are from California that live in the Valley of the Sun. Not sure that would add up to everyone in the Phoenix as being from the Midwest and the South.

I don't know anyone who would have their kids do that. I am 48 and we were never required to do that with our parents. Maybe if you were in trouble that would happen. Other than that, never heard that happen.
I'm 68 and was raised in a middling sized town in New York state. We never were taught to use sir and ma'am at all.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I'm young I'm nearly 22 but I was raised to say yes ma'am/no ma'am yes sir/no sir. I mean I don't say it all the time sometimes when my mom addresses me I say "Yes mother" but always in a respectful tone. "What" and "huh" were never allowed unless you wanted to get slapped across the room (just kidding but you get the point). "Yes" was generally acceptable if you said it in the right tone. My parents weren't too strict about ma'am and sir but they did expect to be addressed respectfully. However, since my parents are getting older though I do try to make it a routine habit to address them as only ma'am and sir because that's just proper respect. Anyways I do want to raise my kids to say ma'am and sir. What do you guys think? I know in 2013 that's generally not the norm for today's kids but do you make your kids say ma'am/sir? Only to elderly? Just curious.......
My opinion is that Moderator Cut, if that worked for you well fine.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-26-2013 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language usage

Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
OK this is going to make the anti sir and ma'am people cringe but I just realize I even say sir to my husband! he says something I don't hear or understand, I say "Sir?". Again it's how I was raised. Believe me the man has no authority whatsoever over me -much to his chagrin. And he uses ma'am with me. I just realized this after his being home a few hours. I never even thought about it before. We have a Mexican crew of yard people and I said Sir to them and they said Ma'am to me. But come to think of it they do have authority over me cause without them our grass would look like ...well..let's just say they do a great job.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK this is going to make the anti sir and ma'am people cringe but I just realize I even say sir to my husband! he says something I don't hear or understand, I say "Sir?". Again it's how I was raised. Believe me the man has no authority whatsoever over me -much to his chagrin. And he uses ma'am with me. I just realized this after his being home a few hours. I never even thought about it before. We have a Mexican crew of yard people and I said Sir to them and they said Ma'am to me. But come to think of it they do have authority over me cause without them our grass would look like ...well..let's just say they do a great job.
Well then, it's kinda meaningless, isn't it?

You don't do it as a conscious sign of respect, it's just a habit.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Of course not. They aren't in the military.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:20 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well then, it's kinda meaningless, isn't it?

You don't do it as a conscious sign of respect, it's just a habit.
Most mannerisms in adults are habits. Do you consciously think to say please before you say it, every time? Do you think to say thank you every single time you say it? I doubt it.

Many of our speech patterns are habits that were taught to us to use to be considered polite.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Most mannerisms in adults are habits. Do you consciously think to say please before you say it, every time? Do you think to say thank you every single time you say it? I doubt it.

Many of our speech patterns are habits that were taught to us to use to be considered polite.
Actually, more than you would think. Read my other post.

Polite and respectful are not the same thing, btw. Think about it.

Thank you.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
My children were taught to say "Yes, No, Please, Thank You and excuse me", no Ma'am/Sir required.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think most are "anti" ma'am or sir, they just want it recognized that the lack of usage doesn't in and of itself imply one is rude or ill mannered. It's more if a locale custom than anything. If I lived where it was considered normal, I'd probably expect my kids to comply; but the inference that those who's customs are different from your own are wrong or "cringe-worthy" is insulting.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Do you think to say thank you every single time you say it?
Yes I do think to say thank you when someone has been helpful, because I am genuinely thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting