Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times

Advertisements

I, too, just read the OP and skimmed a few of the responses. However, I think the punishment is a bit too severe for what was an accident. You have to take what the child says at face value, not delve into an episode of CSI or Perry Mason to try to prove intent behind the action. The child said it was an accident, so it should be treated as such, unless you have witnesses or video to prove differently.

So, when the incident is viewed as an accident, the important thing is to make the other party whole, financially, and with a new window. However, the son should be told that while their action was not appropriate, their reaction to it, i.e., telling his father about the incident, was the right thing to do. Stress that he can tell you anything, anytime, and you will work through it together, but there are consequences for even accidents.

Explain that there is a cost to fix a situation, either through an insurance deductible, or payment to the other party for the repair of the vehicle. Stress that even in the case of an accident, people need to pay for the damages. Then, you can work out a settlement as to how much he has to pay, to repay you, and that he needs to earn the money to do so. Work out a repayment schedule by chore, up to the amount that he has to pay.

A nine-year old, is not financially responsible to the other party, as that is the parent's purview. So, any settlement needs to be made with the parents, not the neighbor, unless the neighbor is a very good friend who will assist you in aiding your son to the path of responsibility and restitution for his actions, even accidents. Don't make an issue out of the money, rather, continue to let your son know that telling you was the right thing to do, since you are ultimately responsible for his actions and accidents, until he becomes an adult. He told you, so you can work out the details of settling the case, but the other punishments are needlessly punitive, and tend to create more of a wedge than a bridge.

However, the dishwasher chore is a good one, but assign a value to the action for properly loading it, making sure that food is scraped off, properly replacing utensils and plates in the cabinets and drawers, etc. Make it less of a punishment and more of a means to do something to assist the family that is outside his normal chores, so he can then work towards repayment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM

384 posts, read 594,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
First of all, you didn't answer my question about who should clean up the mess that the broken window created.

To asnwer yours, I think for a kid who is 9, the parents should pay for the window. The kid should clean up the mess.

Whether anymore penalty / punishment / recovery would be important depends on things that I can't feel out from what has been posted here.
Nobody cares who is going to clean up the glass, the issue is replacing the broken window. Like Kibbie said, the broken glass is spilled milk at this point and is inconsequential. The only message that writing a check to the neighbor for the automotive repair is that daddy will be there to pay every time th child breaks something. The real lesson here is if you break it, you buy it.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:59 PM

384 posts, read 594,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
I have not yet read all the other posts, but I TOTALLY agree with this. "Natural consequences" is the best way to handle something like this, in my opinion. If you do "X", then "Y" (something related) will happen.

I, too, think this was an unfortunate accident. The punishments administered by the OP do not relate to what happened. The better lesson learned is for the boy to be given opportunities to earn whatever it costs to pay for the broken window, and to apologize to the neighbor. That is what makes perfect sense to me.
Yep this is a perfect equation.

X+Y=Z
Where X is merchandise in the store, Y is the 9 year old child breaking the merchandise, and Z is the child paying for the broken merchandise that they did not purchase.
In other words, you break it, you buy it. Simple as that.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The idea that the father here insists his kid has ADHD is worrisome...perhaps the kid was overly stimulated by the stimulants?
I'll explain it to you in a few words
The fact that he has ADHD (Believe me, it would take you 5 minutes talking to him to see it) has a lot to do with him being very impulsive and doing things like throwing rocks, breaking something and right away think "Why did I do that?"

BTW, he doesn't take any meds for ADHD, he did one time and he constantly looked depressed.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll explain it to you in a few words
The fact that he has ADHD (Believe me, it would take you 5 minutes talking to him to see it) has a lot to do with him being very impulsive and doing things like throwing rocks, breaking something and right away think "Why did I do that?"
So what purpose does punishment serve?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM

501 posts, read 933,830 times
Quote:
Nobody cares who is going to clean up the glass, the issue is replacing the broken window.
That's an interesting statement.

As someone who had a window broken in my driveway, I have a different opinion. I didn't care as much about the window getting broken. It happened and it needed to be repaired. What was a pain was cleaning up the glass. I spent most of the summer finding bits and pieces of glass in the driveway. Inside my car I found glass for 2-3 years down the road. The difficulty in cleaning the glass far outweighed the difficulty in replacing the window.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:47 AM

507 posts, read 918,086 times
I would enroll him in a class to learn about glass manufacturing and fabrication, and have him make a replacement window starting from raw sand. Or maybe make a beautiful stained glass window to offer as atonement. Actually that sounds like a lot of fun.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:57 AM

507 posts, read 918,086 times
A few years ago, I had just purchased a fairly nice new car, and a group of kids playing baseball in the street nailed us as we pulled into a driveway and left a noticeable dent in the door. The parents weren't able to communicate with us, which made for a fairly frustrating situation. The repair was only about $100, but took an entire afternoon of my time. This post reminded me of that incident -- I wonder what that kids punishment, if any, was.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The punishment does not fit the crime. None of that has anything to do with breaking the window. My. 8 And 10 year olds get $5 allowance per week. I'd make him pay for the repair out of his allowance. I might ground him from playing outside or with rocks for a week.
He should have to do some type of chores to pay for the window. He should not be allowed to play with rocks in that manner.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
So what purpose does punishment serve?
To teach him that when he breaks something that he will pay to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting