Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,180,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
So its okay for the son to sacrifice, but not okay for the mom to sacrifice?
The son isn't being asked to sacrifice his values or go against his conscience. He isn't being put in a position between choosing what he thinks is wrong or pleasing a family member.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernwandering View Post
you may be a big proponent of "my house, my rules"
but you can't control seeing your grandchildren or having a relationship with your adult children once they leave your communistic estate. and don't be surprised when they cut off all contact and forbid you from seeing their kids. but i guess "my house my rules" worked so well when they were under age 18, didnt it
Did you read my entire post? The fact that you are trying to debate me over that one statementleads me to believe you did not.

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
He isn't being put in a position between choosing what he thinks is wrong or pleasing a family member.
He absolutely is, He either makes his mother happy by having them sleep in separate rooms, or potentially upsetting his girlfriend by making her sleep alone in a place she is already potentially uncomfortable in

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
So its okay for the son to sacrifice, but not okay for the mom to sacrifice? Mom wants the son to stay, so IMO she should be the one to make the sacrifices
She can choose not to sacrifice her "values" if she wants, but the son holds all the cards here and has already put a Royal Flush on the ing table. She has nothing that scares him at this point.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 PM
PJA

Quote:
He absolutely is, He either makes his mother happy by having them sleep in separate rooms, or potentially upsetting his girlfriend by making her sleep alone in a place she is already potentially uncomfortable in
Not the same thing. I would never ask someone to violate their belief system/religion to accommodate me. If my wife loved pork but my parents were Jewish and didn't allow it in their home, I would not do it even if my wife did get upset because at the end of the day whether we eat pork or not has nothing do with our belief system just as whether her son sleeps with his gf or not has nothing do with his...its just a preference.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Not the same thing. I would never ask someone to violate their belief system/religion to accommodate me. If my wife loved pork but my parents were Jewish and didn't allow it in their home, I would not do it even if my wife did get upset because at the end of the day whether we eat pork or not has nothing do with our belief system.
That's only a valid argument if you make your parents eat the pork as well.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
She can choose not to sacrifice her "values" if she wants, but the son holds all the cards here and has already put a Royal Flush on the ing table. She has nothing that scares him at this point.
Exactly. I'm stunned that so many are supporting the OP in this case. I'm not speaking to her Victorian morals, more to her childish response. In reality she is the one throwing the tantrum. She laid down her rules, her son chose to stay elsewhere, now she is having a hissy fit. You made your bed, you lie in it.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,418 times
Quote:
The son isn't being asked to sacrifice his values or go against his conscience. He isn't being put in a position between choosing what he thinks is wrong or pleasing a family member.
But her son isn't asking her to do that. He made a statement about what his conditions are for staying at her home.

She gave him her terms and he gave her his. They don't agree. Neither one wants to budge, and neither one should be forced to. As a result, she has less time with her son and is upset. He does not appear to be upset by it at all.

Do you think an adult child should be required to sleep at his mother's home and spend a specific amount of time when he visits, whether he wants to or not, just to please his mother?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:26 PM
PJA

Quote:
That's only a valid argument if you make your parents eat the pork as well.
It is valid argument because in both cases the parents already have rules established for their house based on their moral code and are being asked to violate them to appease their child.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It is valid argument because in both cases the parents already have rules established for their house based on their moral code and are being asked to violate them to appease their child.
Then she has to deal with her son not staying there, and its nobody's fault but her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting