Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
How can you tell a parent doesn't care? I have a high needs daughter and I promise you there were times I fully disconnected while she flipped out. As perscribed by the therapist and by my own ability to cope. You don't get she was flipping out for 80% of her waking hours for a good 3 years of her life. Maybe I looked like I didn't care? Damn it I did! I just had no answeres. None. Just to get through what I had to as quick as I could. I think every person who gave me a dirty look should have been fined an hour of babysitting time.

God forbid me if I also got nail polish while out getting milk and cheese.

I am a parent of a child with special needs. He is very high functioning but he still requires a massive amount of energy and patience from his caregivers.

I like the idea of babysitting fines. Kill two birds with one stone!

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem here is that no one can understand the other's viewpoint until they walk a mile in the other person's shoes.

Developing Empathy: Walk a mile in someone

Parents - think about the viewpoints of the child-free expressed here.
Child-free - think about the viewpoints of the parents (and children).

Perhaps if we all try, we can understand each other a bit more.
I was childless for the better part of my 20s, having lived alone for a decade before having children and getting married.

I can honestly say I don't remember harboring such vitriol against parents, even as a young female singleton. Then again, I've been blessed with empathy and the ability to see things from other points of view. I understand crying children, tantrums, etc are unpleasant. But such is life. Into each life a little rain must fall and if your storm is a tantruming child in a store that you can ignore and not deal with, consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by Magritte25; 02-28-2015 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bring a squirt gun,,,start hitting the unruly kids
A new take on going postal!

Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 AM

436 posts, read 421,242 times
Quote:
How can you tell a parent doesn't care? I have a high needs daughter and I promise you there were times I fully disconnected while she flipped out. As perscribed by the therapist and by my own ability to cope. You don't get she was flipping out for 80% of her waking hours for a good 3 years of her life. Maybe I looked like I didn't care? Damn it I did! I just had no answeres. None. Just to get through what I had to as quick as I could. I think every person who gave me a dirty look should have been fined an hour of babysitting time.

Yes, this, this a hundred times. A person who does not have a special needs/high needs child does not get how life-draining it is. My son's first two years were hell on earth for me. He didn't stop screaming, like, ever. And tons of people glared at us every time I had to run a quick errand. Sorry I ruined their shopping trip. I certainly didn't go out for fun myself.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 AM

756 posts, read 834,535 times
Angry I Agree But They Are Brats Everywhere Else Too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Honestly, I've had it. Because of my job I go to the post office twice a week or more. The things I need to do cannot be done in the lobby or via a computer, as so most postal chores today can be.

I am never in any post office at any time of day that there aren't children causing an uproar. I have even tried going to neighborhoods where a preponderance of residents are retired and still there are little kids screaming and running around while the people responsible for them are standing in line staring at the ceiling, acting as if they don't know the tiny hooligans.

Most post offices are in buildings that exacerbate noise, so children's screams and shrieks bouncing off marble floors or cement block walls seem twice as loud as they seem outdoors. I have seen running children knock over elderly people. I've seen them slam doors on customers. I saw one running boy ram right into a wheelchair and obviously scare the person in it. Their parents/grandparents act as if nothing is happening.

Most post offices today sell greeting cards and mailing supplies in the lobby, Many people purposefully position their children in these areas and allow them to "play" with the items on display. Little kids pull out cards from the display racks and throw them on the floor, bend them, replace them in the wrong holders, etc. Those displays are always a mess and it's not the post office employees' fault. Often the cards are dirty or sticky. I like to buy cards at the PO not only because it's convenient but because I like to support this organization that does a job that could never be done so effectively by the private sector. The post office is unfairly treated by Congress, which requires it to fund its retirement program unlike any in corporate America, so I like to do my bit to make sure they get my greeting card purchases, too. But these poorly behaved children are ruining the PO's inventory.

Seriously, parents, grandparents, and nannies: PLEASE! Is it too much to ask that you control your children so U.S. post offices are not so loud and chaotic and government property is not being destroyed on a daily basis? No one likes to stand in line but your unwillingness to make your charges behave makes the experience far more unpleasant than it needs to be.
Unfortunately the main reason many people have children is so they can live off the children's welfare. And then they raise the kids to be brats and cause many problems and you can't do any thing about it because if you even say one thing they will sue you.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM

436 posts, read 421,242 times
Isn't this the third time you posted a variation on this theme today?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:30 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
Isn't this the third time you posted a variation on this theme today?
Yes, this person apparently has a bug up his/her ass about people on welfare. How big is the percentage of parents on welfare anyway that it's important enough to keep mentioning?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
God forbid me if I also got nail polish while out getting milk and cheese.
Some of you just don't get it.
Not just grabbing a bottle of polish while getting necessities. Try the mom who spent 30 minutes looking at makeup and trying out various colors of polish never noticing that her toddler sitting in the cart had managed to open a can of shave cream and was happily spraying it all over himself, including in his mouth.
Or the mom whose kid tugged on her for 10 minutes, with his, 'mommy, mommy, mommmmmy' routine, trying to get her attention while she was on her cell phone, until she decided he was too much of a nuisance and she smacked the tar out of him. Or the young kid who was running down the aisle with no parent in sight when she tripped over her own feet and face planted on the hard floor. Or the many occasions when kids pull shopping carts over while trying to climb in or out of them. Careless, self centered or uncaring parents who do not pay attention to their kids.
and this...?
Quote:
Exactly. Maybe I want to give myself a manicure and eat M&Ms while doing it and the only time I can go to the store is between practices and tutoring sessions while my husband is working 50-60 hour work weeks. Maybe I can wait until hubby gets home from work to go. Oh wait, then I'd be an ungrateful, lazy housewife who can't get her **** together and takes advantage her husband. Silly me!
Yes, that's just silly, and it has what to do with kids?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I was childless for the better part of my 20s, having lived alone for a decade before having children and getting married.

I can honestly say I don't remember harboring such vitriol against parents, even as a young female singleton. Then again, I've been blessed with empathy and the ability to see things from other points of view. I understand crying children, tantrums, etc are unpleasant. But such is life. Into each life a little rain must fall and if your storm is a tantruming child in a store that you can ignore and not deal with, consider yourself lucky.
This is what I thought too...all of us were childless at some point...so we do know what it is like to be childless

Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Some of you just don't get it.
Not just grabbing a bottle of polish while getting necessities. Try the mom who spent 30 minutes looking at makeup and trying out various colors of polish never noticing that her toddler sitting in the cart had managed to open a can of shave cream and was happily spraying it all over himself, including in his mouth.
Or the mom whose kid tugged on her for 10 minutes, with his, 'mommy, mommy, mommmmmy' routine, trying to get her attention while she was on her cell phone, until she decided he was too much of a nuisance and she smacked the tar out of him. Or the young kid who was running down the aisle with no parent in sight when she tripped over her own feet and face planted on the hard floor. Or the many occasions when kids pull shopping carts over while trying to climb in or out of them. Careless, self centered or uncaring parents who do not pay attention to their kids.
and this...? Yes, that's just silly, and it has what to do with kids?
Come on now. thats is a tiny minority! And extreme examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting