Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Try giving her a choice. With a toddler it's often a matter of having a small amount of control in their lives. If you do that they often are satisfied.
Actually, can you see where I could have improvised in the conversation when it comes to getting her to putting toys away? This happens more or less everyday at home; so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:54 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Ya, I am making it a point to offer a choice to her but in some cases, its just simply not possible to have a choice...like brushing her teeth before going to bed.
I get your point though, I have to try harder to reach a balance.
Well yeah with that it might be a bit tricky xD.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Actually, can you see where I could have improvised in the conversation when it comes to getting her to putting toys away? This happens more or less everyday at home; so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Ask her if she would like to have a story read to her. And if she does she has to have her toys put away. It's possible she might still battle with you, but given a choice might also allow her to decide what is more important to her, the story, or the toys.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Turn putting away the toys into a game. You get all the dolls and I will get all the blocks or something on that order. Or we can see how fast we can put the toys away and if we get done before the timer, I can read you 2 stories instead of one story.

You can also use the preschool cleanup song (from Barney - clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere - clean up, clean up, everybody do your share).

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
And with brushing teeth you can give the choice of "Do you want to brush teeth before going to the toilet/putting pyjamas on or after?"

I second nana053's tip for putting toys away - turning things into a race usually works really well with my kid.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 AM

Yes nana, Natsku, I try that. Sometimes it works and sometimes she knows I am tricking her into cleaning it up. Also, hubby has his own ways. Like, he believes that we should teach her what are her duties and when its play time. Cleaning up toys is a duty...I get it, she is only 3 and half.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:15 AM

It takes time, just keep trying and eventually she'll get it...hopefully before she's old enough to move out

Old 05-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
It takes time, just keep trying and eventually she'll get it...hopefully before she's old enough to move out
Lol about the moving out! I see so many threads about that

Another play date today?

Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Lol about the moving out! I see so many threads about that

Another play date today?
I have no idea, they just turn up at my door or in the back garden when they feel like it!

She's having a playdate with her dad right now though, even though the meeting today went absolutely terribly, I feel so sorry for the child protection workers as he was shouting at them and calling them liars

Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I have no idea, they just turn up at my door or in the back garden when they feel like it!

She's having a playdate with her dad right now though, even though the meeting today went absolutely terribly, I feel so sorry for the child protection workers as he was shouting at them and calling them liars
Did he at least agree to send her abroad for a vacation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting